WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Zen's ESS Book

Hey guys,

I just decided to split my "sketchbook" thread so you could see the different journals I've got going at the same time. ESS is short for Essential Sketching Study. I will use this book to follow some of Suzette Morrow's Sketching Habit, as well as my regular figure sketching work. I added the butt icon for when I do post figure sketches so that you guys would know.

The Journal itself is one that I found in a stack of books in my attic. No clue why it ended up there but it was brand new. It's a Bienfang 50lb take along sketchbook. Its 8 1/2 by 11. It works well for pencil and pen work. Not thick enough for wet paint but pitt pens work well on it.

Here are the first few sketches, I skipped day 1 I did it in another thread but I have so many books going that I forget where it is

Day 2 "A and B". Oh I forgot to mention, this is the day 2 study to take scraps from newspaper or magazines that do not show a full object. you glue them randomly into the sketchbook and continue where the color and pattern takes you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day2 A002.jpg (92.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Day2 B003.jpg (51.7 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Zenica : 07-17-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: explanation
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Zen's ESS Book

This is great! So bold and colorful. I love how you extended the photos and varied what you were doing with them. Excellent two pages!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

This is great Zen. Very colorful and creative. There's so many doing the "sketch a day" habit that I'd thought I'd check out the site. Loved it and would like to try it out as well but haven't the time at the moment. So I've bookmarked it to try another time. You've made a great start.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
North Wales UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Oh you have made great abstracts here with that exercise. Those pitt pens look very useful if you can do work like this with them. I just started doing the 21 day thing too, quite a few of us are now and we're all so incredibly different in our approaches and its so great to see.
Xina
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 05:18 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Great use of the base rectangles. The top one looks like a ship with the sail coming unfurled.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Hey thanks a lot guys!

I saw so many people using their scraps to make animals or other textured things. As much as I love those... I felt like I could go against my natural "comfort zone" and try abstracting them. They were done completely with the pitt pens (which have become a primary medium in my favorites list). I love the brightness and the permanency that they offer. It requires a very bold heart which I love.

I think its amazing how each person sees these abstracts differently. I'll let you all on a secret though. In the first picture I used a magazine from my father's "recycle" bin, the magazine is called Jazziz and is exactly as it sounds: A music journal.

While I was cutting the scraps I started seeing all kinds of different music related objects that really called to me to be painted. The dots on the side are either the base of a music note or the buttons on a saxophone, trumpet, flute etc. The big shape with the dots is a violin which has been placed around red velvet curtains. The line that is above it is the Bow. The stringy shapes are obviously "strings" for which ever instrument you desire. The lined fabric that intersects the violin is actually an abstracted music sheet.

This is how I see it...Deb, your idea works too. Abstracts tend to follow any line of thought, each viewer will see different things. I just love to hear what others see!

Thanks to everyone else who posted a comment! Feel free to tell me what you see too!

Zenica
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Zenica, your work is very strong and bold and vibrant, what a great job!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Cool abstracts! I like how you managed to connect them all and make it look so unified.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Zen, these are fantastic! I do especially love the first and now that you tell us, I can see the music "flavor" to it. What I first saw was that the 3 big buttons at the top remind me of stage spotlights and there is the curtain for the stage, unfurling. And now I know this is a MUSICAL performance we are about to hear.

Very nice - I look forward to seeing more.

Jean

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."