WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States
Red-Yellow-Blue

Hi, Folks. Great to see this new forum. Thanks to those who worked to make it happen. Here is my offering. I've started a sketch journal using only a selection of Derwent Coloursoft reds, yellows, and blues (and maybe a little graphite and ink now and then). I'm using a 3.5" x 5.5" Hand-Book Journal. The first image is a sketch I did in an older sketchbook in celebration of ordering the Hand-Book. The additional pages are warm-up exercises in the new book. Alas, my scans never seem to do justice to the colors I see. Actual sketches coming soon...I hope. (I'll post fewer pages per post in future. ) Cheers, Herb

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2010, 11:27 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Red-Yellow-Blue

Welcome aboard. Looks like you are all ready to go. Hope to see sketches from you soon.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Herb - looks like you are off to a great start. I love the color test pages. You have quite a nice range there. Looking forward to seeing more.

Jean

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

great idea, i will have to give something similar a try
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 AM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Herb, welcome. You've made a great start to your new Journal. Good idea all the color swatches - I always mean to do this but never get around to it. Maybe your Journal will give me incentive to be more organised and do color swatches as well.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Interesting concept for a sketchbook. I guess we start many of these sketchbooks with the idea of practicing/learning something in particular. I played around with the red/yellow/blue colored pencil method a little, talk about labor intensive! I gave up on that one pretty quick. It will be interesting to see what you do with it.

David
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Herb, that's a great series of swatch tests mixing secondaries and tertiaries! Very organized. My scanner does that to me too, but having the Coloursoft means I can look at my own pencils for true color. I appreciate your documenting exactly which primaries you used too.

Do you have a colorless blender? The Prismacolor one is good and soft, so is the Derwent Blender. The Derwent Burnisher (usually comes with it in a two-pack) is harder and has the core material for their Studio/Artist pencils. Those mixes could look very smooth once burnished. Electric blue with lemon yellow makes a good bright emerald green!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the warm welcome, all. Here's today's effort of about an hour. (I should have stopped at 30 minutes. )

I agree, David, red-yellow-blue with colored pencils is a chore. I thought I could manage with such a tiny sketchbook, however. I plan to soldier on for a while to see what happens. Although I may introduce the remainder of my "normal" CP palette before long, adding one or two of each of the secondaries.

Hi, Robert. I have a Prismacolor blender stashed away somewhere, but I personally prefer not to blend or burnish except for what naturally occurs in laying one color over another. The subtle blending of translucent color is one of CP's main attractions for me.

This is overworked, lacks range in value, and is a little bit muddy, but I don't feel any need to tear out the page.

Cheers,

Herb
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 AM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Nice feather. That would be my only comment, that you have already noted, the lack of value range. But, very well done with only RYB.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Today's entry...

Disappointed in the modeling. Still overworking.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 05:57 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

The flower may be a bit overworked, but the leaves are just gorgeous. I like the range of color you got in them and yet, they still read "green".
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hi Herb,

Just found and checked out your sketchbook. Great concept for a journal, and I hope to see more of your work here.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2010, 05:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I like the feather. It could have stronger value ranges but its shimmering colors make me smile, it's got a lot of light dancing in it. That has a soft, dreamlike feeling, like it fits in a storybook.

Very cool orange flower and leaves too, especially the leaves. It's only the flower that's a bit overworked and you could do some lifting on it with a kneaded eraser - press, peel off, roll it up, press again. I was very surprised at how much color I could get off with a kneaded eraser without messing up the paper tooth.

One thing may help with the RYB sketches. I'd start with the deepest dark areas and do them lightly with Indigo no matter what else is going over it, a sort of overexposed Indigo image to establish deep darks and then work up from that. I've done these in the past and having a value drawing for the first layer helps a lot.

Or you could add two more colors to your palette, still staying in RYB. For reds, get a deep dark red comparable to Prismacolor Tuscan Red. I know there's one in the range. It might be in the browns section but it's there and I've used it. Then at the darks end of the Yellow group, add a yellowish brown, as the "deep dark" of yellow. Even using Yellow Ochre as the "dark yellow" helps in establishing values. That'll let you use darks where you don't have Indigo in the mixture and still keep to your primary palette.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 08-12-2010 at 05:39 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Nice color swatches. Love the feather!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Great start Herb, look forward to seeing how you progress!