WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Richmond, BC

Hails from Canada
How To Make Your Own Watercolor Color Chart

This is the most visited post on my blog, so I thought I would share it with all the watercolor lovers on Wetcanvas.

Have you ever been stumped on what color mix to use in any given situation when you are painting a watercolor?

The solution is to make your own color chart. I made this one for my Winsor & Newton Cotman watercolor set of pans in a small plastic case that is ideal for travel. I did not include the black and white colors in the chart however, as I almost never use them.

The process is easy to do, but a bit time consuming.

On a piece of paper, lay out one box for each of the colors you want to use in the top row, and number them and put the name of the color under each box.

Using a plastic egg carton, mix precise equal amounts of each of the colors. In this example, the color strength of each color was 7 brush fulls of color mixed in 1 TSP of water for the colors in the top row.

Then start mixing Color 1 plus Color 2, Color 1 plus Color 3, etc in the second row. I mixed 3 brush fulls of each color for each color mix in the chart. Continue mixing until you have painted every color combination possible from your choice of colors.

I hope you find this useful and refer back to this often.

You can download and use the image for free, as long as you attribute it to me, from my original blog post. Watercolor Tip-Make Your Own Color Chart.

Hope you drop by and visit my blog Terry Krysak Artworks.