WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey
My Nature Notes & Sketches

Well, here it is. Finally! Yes, I'm the worlds slowest drawer but I got there eventually! I hope this comes out because its a new computer and resizing the photo was a nightmare as I can no longer use my favorite editing software!
That being said, here is the beginning of my journal. It is a 5x8 Moleskin Watercolor Journal. Pencils used are Derwent Studios but I hope to experiment with different pencils as I go on including many different Derwent pencils.

My first picture is of an old willow tree at our local park. It is also one loved by my Mum so thought it would be a good start to my new journal. It has such character! I worked from a photo which I took in the morning sunlight in May. The tree was covered in yellow catkins which shone a lovely gold in the sun. Fresh green grass and new Spring growth was seen everywhere. Hope you like it :-)

The Old Willow
5x8 Moleskin Watercolor Journal
Derwent Studios

Lastly - one thing I was not happy about with this picture in the end was the last part of the title "The old willow". (Other than my untidy hand writing!) I moved it around the picture on top of tracing paper before writing it on the page permanently with a sepia pitt pen. I decided where I preferred the look of it, but after it was done wished I had placed it in the lower left corner!! So this really bothered me. Should I have placed it lower left to make it better visually or placed it where it is, or a little lower? Any C/C regarding the placement of "The Willow" title & date welcomed. This is all still a learning experience for me! Other than this I was happy with the picture and will always remember the morning walks past this old tree with my Mum!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States
Re: My Nature Notes & Sketches

Hi Rachel!

Glad you decided to take the plunge! What a lovely spot you have drawn and painted for us. I especially love the great texture in the sky and water and also in the shadow pattern on the grass. The colors are just lovely, too.

I'm sorry you are not happy with the placement of the title. I hope you will be able to let it go, so you can enjoy your lovely work every time you look at it. I can't say whether it might have been better placed in the lower left or not, but to me, it looks just fine right where it is. And by the way, I think your handwriting is pretty neat.

Very nice work! Hope to see more.

Jean

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Thank you Jean for your kind words I'm slowly "getting over" the title placement! I know after a few days it probably won't bother me so much. Lessons learned I guess! As for my handwriting... I know I could improve on that! Maybe when I'm not so nervous with the other pages it will be better. I think once I get a few pages behind me I won't fuss so much!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Rachel, this is beautiful! I see no problem with the placement of the title. It's easily read and doesn't diminish the painting at all. It would also have worked in the lower left, but I'd have done it smaller if I placed it there so that it balanced well within the space.

The painting is gorgeous. The tree is quirky and unusual in its shape, you captured its interesting character and the golden catkins are so luminous. One thing that helps push them forward is that band of darker, more distant trees at the back. This is a spectacular beginning to a nature journal I'm going to enjoy following. Well done!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Robert - thank you! I definately agree with what you say regarding the willow title, having done it smaller had I placed it in the lower left, and that was my plan had I put it there! I also "intended" writing it in a smaller size where it is now but somehow it got larger than I was planning on! Thank you for you opinion on that! Keeping my writing smaller throughout the rest of the journal is what I intend to do!
Thank you again for all your comments, I listen to them with the utmost respect!!! This was actually my first landscape piece in cp other than a really quick sketch one before and really enjoyed doing it! I plan on trying some others in the future, but I would also like to learn how to work faster than I do. And I will try not to let months pass before posting something new!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

That was a terrific sketch to start your journal with. My favorite part is that wonderful shadow. I think the placement of the lettering is just fine, and your printing is much neater than mine. Nice work!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Thank you Michelle! I really enjoyed doing that shadow! That and the water, they were fun! :-)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

This is a wonderful little drawing, I love it. The foliage especially is great. You could digitally remove the title and print it out for framing, it would look great hanging on the wall I'm sure.

David
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Love it!!
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 AM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Beautiful little drawing! The shadow of the tree is gorgeous! I think the printing is ok where it is. If you moved it to the left-hand corner it would be too intrusive. It's a personal choice really. I have a huge issue with where to put my signature every time I sign a painting and I'm never happy with it, but no-one else seems to notice. Looking forward to seeing more sketches from you.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Why not go the whole hog and add a sentence at the bottom explaining how this is your mum and yours favourite tree? This would balance out the title.

Doug
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Rachel - The Old Willow is BEAUTIFUL & such a perfect memory piece for you to keep forever. The placement of the title is absolutely fine & looks great!! Don't beat yourself up about it (i do the same thing when writing things & notes & titles on my pages, after i've done them i wish i hadn't - but i also think about how i enjoy reading what people have written on their pages and hope people will feel the same about mine) So don't stress about it, all round stunning picture.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
England

Hails from European Union

I agree with the others, beautiful drawing and a great start to your nature sketches! I think the writing is fine there aswell - "The Old Willow" on the sunny strip between the tree shade and the water, quite fitting actually. Bottom left would have worked too I think but it's also fine like this!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Wow - thank you all for your positive comments, very much appreciated!

David - thank you. And yes, Some day when I get a new editing software I will do just that, if only to be able to print it off for some cards for friends or something!
Kevin - thank you!
Viv - I guess the writing could have gone in both places, like others are saying. I think i'm over it now lol! The rest of the book I don't think i'll worry so much over!
Doug - I thought of that too but then decided to just keep the front page simple. The rest of my book will have more writing in it describing each thing, but I figured this first page is for my Mum and she knows its special! Plus I don't think I dare add anything else to it for fear of messing it up completely lol! Thank you for your comment! :-)
Tania and Alylah - thank you both for your lovely comments!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Beautiful tree, gorgeous shadow. And such a wonderful memory. Working in CP is always going to be slower than other media. It's just it's nature. The title where it is balances out the whole. It's just fine.