WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
England

Hails from European Union
Body Asleep, Mind Awake

Thought I'd start a second journal thread

This journal will be a visual dream journal. I keep a written one of my dreams (the ones you have at night that is ) and thought it would be a nice idea to sketch some scenes from them. I suppose they'll mostly be rough (read: scruffy) sketches but I may try and do better ones too. I'll being using mixed media, probably mostly pencil and watercolour.
The "cover page" actually is in the middle of the sketchbook - I am continuing an older sketchbook I used for random studies rather than buying a new one, as not to have lots of unfinished journals lying around!
The first scene is from a dream I had last night, I can't remember much of the plot but I remember being in these wood cabin type buildings elevated on long poles so they were higher than the treetops. They were in some kind of forest. There was also a battle or war going on and some soldiers were about, I was hiding in one of the cabins and looking out of large the doorway towards another cabin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1271.JPG (99.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1270.JPG (124.0 KB, 75 views)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia
Re: Body Asleep, Mind Awake

This is a very creative idea. The dream you had last night sounds a bit scary. Hope you were alright. Nice drawing from it though.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
England

Thanks I think dream-me was a little stressed, as I woke up with a bit of chest ache (this disappears soon after I get up, no worries). But the scenery was nice to look at

Here is a new painting of an older dream, number 64 in my journal, around February last year. I dreamt the world was slowly freezing over after a huge tidal wave. I didn't see the wave but I was standing on a snowy bank looking out to sea, there were two large iceberg-things and the sea had lots of ice floes on it. Behind me there were iced over mountains.

The watercolour wash was very light so I heightened the contrast a bit on the PC. Now the sea sticks out like a sore thumb but you can see the icebergs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1272.JPG (108.1 KB, 70 views)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Aiylah, these are great. It's more challenging painting from memory than anything else, so a themed dream journal is a wonderful idea. Your scene of the ice world is gorgeous. The sea doesn't look too dark and contrasted, it's just right -- the amount of contrast between open water and ice is even greater sometimes.

Your cabins on poles and forest scene is great too. That sounds like an adventurous dream. I get those sometimes too. They're pretty cool, sometimes they give me ideas for stories.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Cool idea! There was a blog I used to read where the woman drew her dreams. Let me see if I can find it.

Aha found it. Jana Bouc

http://janabouc.wordpress.com/2007/0...ream-sketches/
http://janabouc.wordpress.com/2007/0...ream-drawings/
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)

Last edited by eyepaint : 07-12-2010 at 02:21 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:37 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Cool idea. Great paintings. I find dreams a fascinating topic.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:41 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Creative and interesting idea to draw your dreams. The ice landscape looks very realistic.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Sounds like a great idea - you might end up with some very surreal paintings!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Aiylah - This is a great idea. I love the cabin on stilts, but would not like being there with a war going on and soldiers all over. Great, great colors in the ice painting! This one should be very interesting.

Jean

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
England

Thankyou all for the comments

robertsloan, yes, it is pretty challenging from memory and even more so when the memories are fuzzy And yes, dreams can be inspiring for stories and paintings etc. ! I actually just started writing a "novel" on the idea of dreams.

eyepaint, thanks for those links, its interesting to see what other people dream and how they depict them. Her paintings are fun to look at

DrDebby, me too, I also love reading up on dream symbols and so on!

Vivien, yes, it was also quite realistic in the dream, though I wonder why I didn't feel the cold..

virgo, I might just! Though a lot of my dreams are "realistic" like the ice one. I've often read up on Surrealism and finding out the artists were inspired from their dreams - then I wonder why my dreams aren't as funky as that

Jakesgram, yes, way for the soldiers to ruin a nice setting eh

Last night I had three dreams (that I can recall anyway), but were too chaotic to remember the whole plot. Just snippets again. One of them that I drew today, there was some kind of castle or monastery-type building at the end of a path in a forest, at night time. People were staying in there (I'm not sure if I was there, or watching the dream from a third person point of view). At one point someone wanted to leave and went down the path. A guy followed her to bring her back and found her staring at something at the side of the path, unable to move, where there was a tiny clearing in the trees. It was two lights hovering in the air. The guy grabbed her and brought her back to the building in safety, then some guards lined up behind the large wooden doors to protect everyone. I suppose the lights didn't come in peace

I did a couple of sketches, then made a larger one of the girl watching the lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1276.JPG (69.2 KB, 54 views)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Cleveland, OH

Hails from United States

I, too have such vivid dreams, but I've never thought of recording them down. Great illustrations!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Spooky lights. Great seeing your process of thumbnail to full version.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Very cool idea Alylah! I'm terrible at remembering dreams, I rarely can ? Yet my hubby remembers every single little iddy biddy detail!!! How is that? ! Love your dreams so far... the last one with the "lights" is funny!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
North Wales UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Its a great idea Alylah and you're very brave to do it. I love to see these strange dream images andgrapple with the oddness of it. To SEE someone else's dream is really intriguing, its kind of like seeing something at a theatre where you get to see a completely recreated world. Great stuff. keep it going.

Xina
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Cool idea for a journal. Amazing that you remember your dreams well enough to sketch them.