WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States
Choo Choo Seven

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Choo Choo Seven
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 6x8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
For some reason, this one fought like a tiger. I just couldn't get it to look ok for quite some time. All I could figure to do was keep layering and correcting. So, if we assume it's now a good little painting, it's a lesson to, like Churchill said, "Never give up. Never, never, never." And he could paint too.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States
Re: Choo Choo Seven

do you still have a quiver of dissatisfaction TG? I feel that it is speeding on by me at a three quarter angle, but it has turned its face to look straight at me in passing...the upper windows in front do not seem to be pointed in the direction in which the train is going. One struggles to keep some motifs even in their shapes, such as the "V" shape on the trains front, whereas in reality the near side of the "V" would have a sharper angle than the far side. The relationships of the lights and the windows would then be pulled slightly to the right bringing the face of the train into better alignment with the direction in which it is moving...super color and feeling though!

Last edited by Corby : 07-08-2010 at 08:18 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Getting all the perspective right is weird with an entirely curved engine. I dinked with it more times than I'd care to relate. It seems...ok to me now but I sure can't dismiss your comments. Hopefully a person with damaged eyesight will buy it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Hi Tg. I see what Corby is saying and understand where you are coming from too. I had the same problem on that VW van I did a while back. I like your series, keep going..........Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 AM
A Local Legend
Hamilton NJ

Hails from United States

Sorry, TG, but #6 raised the bar and now we can't let off the hook.
As Corby and Lenore said, the perspective is off. The far circle on the bottom is larger than the near one. That should be reversed. The lights should diminish as well, but it's not just those details, something larger is amiss.
In the event that you don't find a visually challenged buyer, check it upside down and at various other angles and eventually "the" problem will pop out at you.
One of my teachers once said that most problems can be traced to values. You might need to change some values here.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks Bill, your point on the circles (they're kind of spring loaded pusher thingees) is actionable. I will also try various angles of view but an alternate strategy is to knock back a few Knob Creek Bourbons to improve artistic vision. I'll think again about Corby's thoughtful views as well. Stay tuned.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 AM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States

I know it is a hassle TG, but the only way I can approach a near approximation of the proper curvature of items like this is to construct them within a box. My perspectives here are just eyeballed. To be completely accurate one would have to establish the vanishing point some where to the right completely off the canvas. But for the preservation of reputation it is worth the effort...( now if I just had some way of forcing myself to take my own advices...)

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 AM
VA

Hails from United States

tg- I may be all wet, but the perspective of the front of train moving forward in the same line as the back hit me as off immediately. The implication of speed is fantastic!

humbly..I messed quickly on my computer to show you what I see...disregard if I am off base.

Name:  124239_Choo_Choo_Seven.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  162.4 KB
Love, love your train series.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone for helping with honest and thoughtful critiques. Cat's rather extreme photoshop makes the point most clearly. I'm gonna take a deep breath and try again. I hope others can learn from this critiquing process which has helped me so much. And here's a gem. This train is weirdly shaped and I've done a better job than you might think following the reference. But if the painting looks wrong, it is wrong.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
brr cold!??

I am chooed off.

TG stop confusing muah my comment was for this one..HA i posted it in Choo 6.
(it has to do with the Vthis one. I am sure you will finds it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2010, 03:55 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Taking a deep breath, I have tried to fix up the perspective of this train thanks to guidance from the forum. As I said earlier, the reference, if slavishly copied, does not create the right impression of the front of the train facing in the direction of movement. To study this point, I found that my Dremel charger is rather train shaped so I drew on its front and studied the form changes when I rotated it. Those Dremel tools'll do anything!

And then it was a bit easier to fix up the train front than I feared. I'll need some more paint once the layer dries but I think it's better.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States

Hey Bob.. If you are like me at all I hate perspective when it just doesn't come together and you work and work and work at it and it only seems to get worse. In this case your dremel tool is right on.. but I think you painted what you knew and not what you were seeing on the dremel tool. Perhaps you can blow up the dremel tool photo to the size of the engine and trace it with tracing paper and lay it over the painting to see where you are going off. Or grid it. I admire your stick to it diligence to not let this one win.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2010, 12:32 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Christine is right TG. Have you tried moving those two highlights on the front further to the left? I'll watch and learn while you do the work......Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 AM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States

In keeping with my perspective box suggested above I did this workup that might prove to be helpful?...the white arrows indicate items moved or lines altered...what a tricky little devil this is tg!

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2010, 03:42 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I feel like it's speeding right out of the picture and maybe you need a nice daisy growing up out of the grass to the left of the picture