WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
The "Goal Post" for July 2010

Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Doug
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada
Re: The "Goal Post" for July 2010

My goals for July 2010:

1) I will paint two paintings while participating in The Spotlight.
2) I will paint two other pastel paintings.
3) I will make weekly posts of pen and wash sketches in the Art Journal thread.
4) I will paint a minimum of 15 trees sketches and post them in the Pastel Sketch thread.

Of course I have an excuse already. Tomorrow, my wife and I have to take off for a couple of days. We should be back by Sunday evening, so hopefully I can get started on Monday. I will have internet access, so I will be checking in to see how everyone is doing. Looking forward to The Spotlight again this month. I wonder if there will be any tree frogs in those trees?

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Doug, these are great. I'm looking forward to your pen and wash sketches as well as your pastels for the Spotlight and in general.

I think those references were from the RIL so maybe we can still do the frog this month. I wanted to but didn't manage in time.

Here's my July goals:

1) I will save $65
2) I will do Sketches & Studies daily, at least one cat gesture or doodle.
3) I will participate in the Spotlight (and maybe other challenges)
4) I will write an article every week for my oil pastels site or art supply reviews site -- I've been slacking off on those and that's not right. People like those sites and deserve to get updates more often.

So that's this month's goals. I left off the physical sorting and cleaning up stuff because that's gone to an As Can sort of thing. I need to do it but I'll have to just seize the moment when I feel up to it.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Hi,
My name is Piper, I was very active WC member for a long time but dropped out about two or three years ago, also have not painted in that time. Well, it is time to get started again so here I am.

Goals for July:

1. paint everyday (easel is set up)
2. don't be afraid to paint- just do it
3. post here everyday to show my commitment to the return of painting
4. have fun

Last month I lurked at the pastel spotlight, I drew out the plate with lemons or limes on it, that will be my first......

It feels good to be back
piper
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Piper! Great to see you again!! Welcome back!

Christine Neidhofer
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Robert- Good idea to leave the cleaning up off the goal list. You want to use the better days to paint. That's what counts. You have some very good goals that should keep you busy. I hope to see you over in the Art Journal thread this month (he says while kicking himself in the butt).

Piper- Hello, stranger! Welcome back! It is great to see you here again. Glad to see you are going to pick the sticks back up. You can do it. Just like riding a bike. Let the dust fly!

For those of you who don't know Piper, she used to host this thread. She helped me by urging me on when I first joined WC over three years ago. I hope you will all join me in welcoming her back and encouraging her in her return to painting. Welcome back, Piper.

Doug
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Thanks Christy and Doug..........feels like I am home already.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

good goals already everyone!
Welcome back Piper! We haven't "met" before but I think we'll soon get to know each other.
My goals for this Month -
1. I will do at least 3 spotlight paintings.
2. I will do another cityscape (better this time) for the PGE Get Dusty challenge.
3. I will clean my studio....properly!
4. I will finish the swan painting I'm currently doing.
5. I will finish another painting of 2 blackbirds whch I have neglected for too long as there are only leaves to do and I don't like doing them!

I MAY have to drop one or more of those goals as my Mum is demanding an awful lot of my time at the mo. Not her fault, she's 90 and is not well.....doesn't stop her being contrary though! LOL

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Piper, welcome back. Good goals, you're going to be busy for a while I think.

Anyone for a laugh? After I decided "clear off my table" was no longer a goal, I got it done. At least cleared off. My bed is full of stuff I've got to put away that I cleared off the table, but the table's rearranged in the way I wanted to do it last month. I've got an easier reach for my keyboard now, it's right in front of me instead of off to the side. Plus some tools are much easier to grab.

Now of course the big question is where everything's going to go, of course.

And yes, Doug, I'll definitely be posting a lot in the Art Journals thread. For one thing, I've ordered another watercolor journal from Blick that I'm going to prime with Colourfix to make a pastels journal. I'll just use different colors on different pages and see how it comes out, but that'll get me pasteling more often as well as posting in Art Journals.

Ruthie, those are great goals! I like your swan painting and I'm looking forward to your blackbirds one. Maybe if you're not interested in doing the leaves you can handle them more loosely and keep the focus on the birds.

I also finished an oil pastels painting that I started way back last year or the year before, turned it up while cleaning up and decided to finish. I didn't have that far to go but it was a good feeling to complete it and post it.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Hi Piper, nice to meet you, I've seen you when digging into old posts. Great goals. This Goalie Gang is great for cheering you on, finding really good excuses, and generally being good friends. Thanks for telling about your work in June Spotlight, looking forward to see the limes/plate.

Doug, thank you for being our intrepid leader this month too! Very good goals.

Ruthie, great goals. Love that 'properly', can relate totally.

Rob, good solid goals! You'll get there with your monthly 65$.

My goals will be simple, I need a break:

1) Go plein air as much as I can. Even 30 minute stage one and two will be awsome. (First, I'll use my old PA gear, see next goal.)

2) Design my PA kit. Finish building it. The design is progressing, I've got most materials I need. My objective is as lightweight as possible, and as versatile as possible.

3) I will paint at least one fully finished painting/week.

4) Depending on weather (sun = PA, cloud = building and studio painting), I will paint 3 Spotlights, they count as goal 3, too.

5) I will update my website, preferably order business cards too.

6) I will get those pastel goodies I've postponed for months.

Flexible goals, I *really* need a vacation. (Painting is vacation.)

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 05:13 PM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

greetings, i started this post and accidently deleted it -so here goes again. only shorter. Everyone seems to have pretty ambitious goals...hmmm....

my goals for the next two weeks- do at least one pastel sketch weekly; do a small pen and ink drawing Daily [yikes-that word- 'daily'- not so sure about that!]. After that, i will be taking a cycling/camping trip to Prince Edward Island, if all goes well...so i'll have to think about goals for that.

Piper, nice to meet you!

looking forward to a fun month!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
South Dakota

Hails from United States

Everyone's off to a great start. I must admit that I forgot that I posted to the June goal post. I'll try to do better this time.

1) I will finish the last two ATC primary colors paintings and mail them off.
2) I will complete two or more paintings for the spotlight.
3) To help with learning to draw/paint trees, I will sketch them on my lunch hour. I'll be totally immersed in trees!
4) I will complete three other paintings this month (that aren't trees!)

Please help me become the best artist I can be by critiquing my work. Thanks!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

Doug,
Thank you once again for starting this month's thread.
Good luck with your goals--15 tree sketches I am looking forward to that.

Piper,Nice to meet you.Keep your 4th goal in mind and the rest will follow.

Robert, Great goals. Funny how things get done once the pressure has gone.
Do you need to put something between the pastel journal pages of will you fix them?

Charlie,Enjoy your "vacation" you deserve one after such a full on Spotlight.
Good luck with your PA box.

Ruthie,Rachel and Robin Good luck with your goals (Couldn't resist the three Rs)

Ruthie hope you find time to paint while looking after your Mother.

I had a list of goals but I think I may leave them for next month and try and learn as much as possible about trees.
So--
Keep up with posting on any thread I am interested in.
Continue a daily sketchbook habit.
Try and do all the tree references in the Spotlight this month and post at least two .
Do at least one WDE this month and clearly state what medium it is.( I caused some confusion the week before last)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Ruthie- It sounds like another green month. Bring on the landscapes! I am sure you will do fine with your goals, Ruthie. Good luck with your Mum.

Charlie- You deserve a rest, Charlie. You have had a few busy months and now it's time to do what you want to do. Paint. Paint away my friend. I am already looking forward to seeing your colourful paintings. You always give this colour geek a fix.

Rachel- "Daily" is a good goal to make doing art a habit. Have fun in PEI. You will come home with some beautiful photos for future landscape references. I have never been to the east coast, but I do know it is a beautiful part of the world. Have fun and be safe.

Robin- A tree a day. Sounds like a great idea. You will learn so much and have more confidence painting landscapes. Good luck and we will see you over in The Spotlight.

Mary- Painting all the references in The Spotlight, is quite a challenge. You will know trees inside and out. Doing a WDE is always a fun experience. I keep forgetting about them. Good luck and we will see you in The Spotlight.

To everyone who thanked me for hosting this thread, you are welcome. I enjoy doing it. Because of this thread, I know people from all over the globe. I am so happy I learned enough about computers, so I can participate in and learn from the best website in the world. I didn't want to be that old fart, just sitting infront of the tv, while life was passing him by. Anyway, thanks to all of you for joining in and making this thread a success.

Happy painting and I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Doug
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone...and a hearty hello and welcome back to you, Piper.
i havent forgotten, just havent established any goals yet....still thinking about them.
I know I will be doing 'trees'! (Need lots of practice with that one!) So will be doing at least one Spotlight.
I will add goals as they come to mind...
Meanwhile....Happy Painiting, Everyone!
Judi

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB