WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 PM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States
Monthly Scumble July 2010

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

I hope you all have a fine, productive month.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast
Middle of NC

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly Scumble July 2010

Good morning Shirl! How is your summer going? any plans for the 4th?

I have some good news. I have a friend who is going to come up here and move me back to Arivaca where I have many friends and where my doctor is etc. It's a very small town and I have a place to hook up my RV in town on the same friends property. Rent is reasonable and well under what I am paying currently for this house so I should be able to save some money too. I showed the house to a potential renter and he and his wife are coming back as she hasn't seen it yet. they will be here tomorrow at 4. they sent in their application already so the landlords are checking references. so keep your fingers crossed that they check out and still want the place. Then I don't have to show it to anyone else and can just focus on packing etc. I am flaring badly so I need as much rest as possible right now. This afternoon a friend of mine is taking me shoping for essentials and then hopefully to the AT&T store to get service under my name as it is currently under Chris' name and he doesn't plan to pay the bill so my phone could be shut off at any time. ugh, not what I need. But, still, things are looking up as far as living arrangements are concerned. And i will still be in the Southwest, just back in S. AZ instead of NM. It's not that I don't like it here, it is just hard to live here by myself being disabled like I am. It will be much easier to live in town in Arivaca where it is a short walk to the small store and post office etc. Plus i have friends who will be willing to drive me to the bigger town nearby where there is a walmart and big grocery stores and where my pharmacy is(in one of the grocery stores) Plus lots of women friends for support

Hope you have a good weekend

Sara
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Missouri

Hails from United States

Sara, so glad things are looking up for you. Arent' friends the best!

I have been framing and getting ready for my first one woman show coming up this month. I have been going thru paintings picking stuff out and framing new stuff. Plus I have to print more bs. cards, fliers, etc. But it is exciting! It is at the City Hall in Lee's Summit, Missouri with an opening reception on July 15 from 5-9pm. If any of you are in the area during that time frame, come by and say hi. The exhibit will be up thru October 15, 2010.

Going to take my Mom for her weekly hair appointment and then meet my daughter at my studio for a day of painting in oils. Life is good!
Have and great day,
Jennylynne
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Well, I'm starting off the month with my DIL in the hospital, just about ready to give birth to their first child, and she had some kind of attack with her pancreas. So they're still waiting to talk to the doctor about whether they'er going to do a C section so that they can treat Mom for the pancreas problem, or keep her in the hospital until she has the baby. She's do in less than three weeks as it is. My son said they told him she's not going home unless it's with a new baby! Of course I'm scheduled to go to Florida for the birth on the 19th of July, not now!! First babies...gotta love 'em! They do what they want. So keep us in your thoughts at least until we know what's going to happen. Thanks.

Christine Neidhofer
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Christine, most definitely am keeping you, your daughter-in-law and son (and baby) in my thoughts! Yikes that's scary!

Sarah, yes, nothing better in the world than friends. Especially women (sorry guys). The move sounds like it will improve your situation quite a bit. Kudos to you!

Jennylynne, how exciting and crazy happy busy you must be. Could you post some of the paintings after the show or are they mostly ones you've shown here on WC? How many paintings will you have?

Chuas started the month on a sad note, found my goldfish dead this morning. I know, "just a fish," but he's been with me for about eight years. I rescued him as a tiny "feeder" fish and he got to about 5 inches long. I never thought how much I loved his little glub glub in the morning and evening.
Sad Chuas
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Just got a call. We have a new baby girl! Saundra Lee, 5 lbs., 15 oz., delivered by C section this afternoon. Steph developed a fever and they decided to go ahead and deliver the baby so they can treat Momma. She was awake through the whole delivery! Baby and Mom are both fine at this time. I'm a Grandma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Neidhofer
Well, I'm starting off the month with my DIL in the hospital, just about ready to give birth to their first child, and she had some kind of attack with her pancreas. So they're still waiting to talk to the doctor about whether they'er going to do a C section so that they can treat Mom for the pancreas problem, or keep her in the hospital until she has the baby. She's do in less than three weeks as it is. My son said they told him she's not going home unless it's with a new baby! Of course I'm scheduled to go to Florida for the birth on the 19th of July, not now!! First babies...gotta love 'em! They do what they want. So keep us in your thoughts at least until we know what's going to happen. Thanks.

Christine Neidhofer
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

YAY!! Congratulations Christine!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

CONGRATULATIONS Christine!! Saundra may be little but she's a keeper!! Hope your DIL gets well very soon so the whole family can be together and enjoy that "newborn" stuff!!

Sara - so glad you have a plan that is workable for you and so grateful for the support of your friends!! Women friends are the greatest!!

Chaus - sorry about your fish :-(

Well, we had the big graduation party for my son on the 26th, everything was awesome, visited with family through sunday, took my daughter to the airport on monday, took Mom to the Dr. on tuesday and then straight to the ER to be admitted to the hospital with a terrible case of cellulitis in her arm that literally flared up OVERNIGHT. She is still there, and since she has some amount of dementia, I need to be there and check in frequently to make sure everything is going the way it should. Totally lost my week here. I had plans to pack up some things at Mom's (she was a quilter and has tons of stuff we need to pack away for now) and work on some of my unfinished pieces from Camp. Oh well, hopefully she will come home tomorrow and then I can organize her pills and hope she takes them all at the right time!!! Actually I am very grateful the infection did not become systemic - and so am counting my blessings while complaining just a little :-)

Lynn
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

Jennylynne - congratulations!!! Hope your show is a smash hit!!

Lynn
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States

Christine-Congrats! Grandkids are great-we have 5 and all are different but all are exciting! Hope DIL gets well quickly.

Chuas-Sorry about your fish buddy-8 years-WOW! What a good fish mommy you were.
I haven't posted any pics on WC-I usually don't cause the uploader and I are NOT Friends! I will try and post a link to my blog when I get the show preview put together there.

Lynn-Thanks and hope your Mom is better soon. My Mom's dementia keeps me hoppint too.

Did an oil today from a small study I did previously. Will look tomorrow to see if it needs tweaking-it's an 16"x20".
Also celebrating 34 years of marital bliss on July 4th. Hubby was smart-planned fireworks for every anniversary and started off with the big bang in the bi-centinnial year party! Gotta love him!
Jennylynne
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Congratulations, Chris!!! Wonderful thing, being a grandma.

Jennylynne, Congrats on the show! I know it will be a success.

Sara, I am glad things are looking up for you. I hope you get settled soon and can just get on with the business of living. Bless the friends you have!

Lynndidj, what a rollercoaster ride you have been on! Hope your mom is well, soon.

It has been as hectic around here as it usually is!
Scarlett, my 22 month old yellow Lab has started her hunt test career and has 2 passes toward her AKC Junior Hunter title.
I have been working with Stevie, my 8 month old, to really make her obedience solid before we start force fetch. She is a retrieving machine!
I have one girl in heat to be bred next week. Whew!

On the painting front, I am still doing commission work. I have several lined up to keep me busy. And some new pastelmat to try!
I have one private student who comes in the summer. She is almost 16 and is one of the students in my home school co-op classes that I teach during the school year. Very dedicated!

No special plans for the 4th of July weekend. I just want to take a couple of days and chill and maybe hang some with family.

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Jennylynne, can you get assistance from one of the moderators so you can post your work? I'm sure others would love to see your paintings also!

Actually, my husband and I did some math and figured my fish, Big (I'm really creative with pet names) was closer to 9 1/2 years. I've heard goldfish can live twenty years, but Big was definitely my longest timer.

Lynn, good luck with your mom. I cared for my mom through cancer and dementia and it was horribly difficult. I don't regret a single second of it though.
Chuas
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

Katherine - perhaps you can give me a little dog advice. My almost 5 year old Maltese (boy) has always slept in a crate, right next to my side of the bed. He gets a treat when he goes in his crate, and usually sleeps all through the night, not making a peep until I let him out in the morning. Lately, he has been doing this growling, snapping thing in the crate, until I finally relent and let him up on the bed (where nobody then gets a good night's sleep!). Last night, finally, at 2 a.m. I grabbed his crate and put him in my son's room (he was gone) and turned on the light and shut the door. By the time my husband got to him at about 6:30, he was pretty frantic (he doesn't like being separated from me). Our plan for tonight is to have his crate in the room and put him in it with a treat, but leave the door open and have another bed for him to sleep in. Without the crate next to my bed he can't jump onto the bed. We'll see if it works. Any advice you might have would be most welcome!!! Yes, he has anxiety and separation anxiety, and so I don't make a big deal of coming and going from the house. But seriously, I need my sleep!!! He is making me crazy!!!! And he's only 7-1/2 pounds - how can he be that powerful? I'm truly trying to be the Alpha dog in the house, but clearly, I'm failing. Next I'm trying a "pet communicator."

Lynn
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2010, 08:07 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Lynn, how is his daytime behavior? Anything out of his usual behavior? When you let him on the bed at night, does he sleep, or continue to growl, snap, or just exhibit restless behavior? The fact that this is a sudden change in his night time routine makes me think it could be health related.
But if he acts his usual self in the daytime, maybe not.
Maybe the fact that you gave in the first night that he behaved this way has created the ongoing night time battle!
If he is good outside of his crate and will sleep elsewhere in the room, I'd let him do it, even though it seems you are giving in.
Maybe put a toy in his crate with him. I have not had to deal with this as my Labs are only crated at night when they are young and going through housebreaking. They all just pile into bed with us or sleep on the couch. While I am strict in a lot of things, I am pretty lax in letting them decide where they want to sleep!
Let me know how it goes!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Katherine - his behavior during the day has been pretty much the same. It took me 28 years of marriage, my father dying, and our son about to leave for college to get my husband to agree to the dog :-) The agreement included NOT being on the bed!! When he gets up there he is restless - walking around and stuff, but not the growling. Like he is such big stuff that his growling means anything, I mean, seriously!!! So, it is a mystery to me as to why he does this. It happened one time before, and the vet finally gave him doggy Xanax. I couldn't tell that it really helped, so I stopped giving it to him. I've tried it the past several nights, and it hasn't helped, so tonight I might try some Benedryl - anything to get him to chill out and sleep!!

Lynn