WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:32 PM
oldwomanpainting oldwomanpainting is offline
Enthusiast
Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,055
 
Hails from United States
Humane Society

MY IMAGE(S):



GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Humane Society
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This started as a plein air painting which I decided to take a little farther. Most of the plein air group was painting historical buildings but it was spring and nothing green and all living was out yet so I decided to paint something all living..looking into the local humane society. I really havent worked much on the cats since the plein air and since have focused more on the reflection.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C&C welcome but especially interested do I need to work on the cats more since I've got more detail in the reflection?
Reply With Quote
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
allanom's Avatar
allanom allanom is offline
Lord of the Arts
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,857
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Humane Society

Gosh, it's such a sweet and subtly rendered piece, I can't think of a thing to criticize. Very nice!
__________________
---------------------------
Check out my work at http://www.allanomarra.bizland.com
Reply With Quote
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 PM
jbart's Avatar
jbart jbart is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,053
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Great work. Different. Keeps the viewer interested. The reflection nicely painted. The detail of the cats works as is imo.
Reply With Quote
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 PM
deb789 deb789 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 969
 
Re: Humane Society

Wonderful work on the cats and the reflection! I like the cats as they are now.
Reply With Quote
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Bis007 Bis007 is offline
Veteran Member
brr cold!??
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
 
Re: Humane Society

Don't think you should change anything- love the expression you gave these two-it tells a story- with the car in the background and the title I will call it "waiting". Waiting for a good home/or to be picked-up. (make prints and sell/gave to the Society). It is Beautiful.
__________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. Mahatma Gandhi.
Reply With Quote
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Corby's Avatar
Corby Corby is offline
A Local Legend
Ukiah California
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 8,641
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

no...the cats are marvelous...and so is the wonderfully rendered car. I would slightly mute the car, that is not make the contrasts and detail in it so sharp, it proclaims itself just very slightly too much. About the title. The Humane Society is a good thing, but looking at it objectively, while it does good, there is also a lot of sadness involved. Unwanted animals I understand can be donated to experimental studies and unwanted are also put to death. The problems connected with animals are far greater than the means of solution. My only point being that the title might be off-putting to a respective buyer who would better respond to a simple title such as "Wanting Out" It is a well done work of art.
__________________
just paint the light......the form appears!


Reply With Quote
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2010, 02:27 AM
MRSBB's Avatar
MRSBB MRSBB is offline
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,094
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Hi Janet. I also think it is a wonderful capture of the cats with a story. The only thing I would change is the title. The painting is great and I love the reflections..........Lenore
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
Reply With Quote
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2010, 04:05 AM
silvenus silvenus is offline
Senior Member
Rongotea
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 213
 
Hails from New Zealand
Re: Humane Society

wish I had your skills, I like it
Reply With Quote
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 AM
oldwomanpainting oldwomanpainting is offline
Enthusiast
Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,055
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanom
Gosh, it's such a sweet and subtly rendered piece, I can't think of a thing to criticize. Very nice!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 AM
oldwomanpainting oldwomanpainting is offline
Enthusiast
Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,055
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbart
Great work. Different. Keeps the viewer interested. The reflection nicely painted. The detail of the cats works as is imo.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 AM
oldwomanpainting oldwomanpainting is offline
Enthusiast
Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,055
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb789
Wonderful work on the cats and the reflection! I like the cats as they are now.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM
oldwomanpainting oldwomanpainting is offline
Enthusiast
Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,055
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bis007
Don't think you should change anything- love the expression you gave these two-it tells a story- with the car in the background and the title I will call it "waiting". Waiting for a good home/or to be picked-up. (make prints and sell/gave to the Society). It is Beautiful.


Thank you! I like "waiting". It is deffinately better than "humane society". I sent the society an email showing the painting and we are discussing how to best use the painting to promote the humane society. It is now entered in a local art show starting this weekend. If it were to win an award promoting the shelter would be easier.
Reply With Quote
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 AM
oldwomanpainting oldwomanpainting is offline
Enthusiast
Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,055
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corby
no...the cats are marvelous...and so is the wonderfully rendered car. I would slightly mute the car, that is not make the contrasts and detail in it so sharp, it proclaims itself just very slightly too much. About the title. The Humane Society is a good thing, but looking at it objectively, while it does good, there is also a lot of sadness involved. Unwanted animals I understand can be donated to experimental studies and unwanted are also put to death. The problems connected with animals are far greater than the means of solution. My only point being that the title might be off-putting to a respective buyer who would better respond to a simple title such as "Wanting Out" It is a well done work of art.

Thank you! I wondered about the car. I'll mute it just a bit. "wanting out" is a good title. You are right that "humane society" is not a good finished title. I've been emailing the society trying to come up with a way to promote it and/or bring in some much needed funds. Maybe linking the picture on facebook and asking for suggestions of a title?
Reply With Quote
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 AM
oldwomanpainting oldwomanpainting is offline
Enthusiast
Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,055
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSBB
Hi Janet. I also think it is a wonderful capture of the cats with a story. The only thing I would change is the title. The painting is great and I love the reflections..........Lenore

Thank you! Yes, the title deffinately needs changed.
Reply With Quote
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:42 AM
oldwomanpainting oldwomanpainting is offline
Enthusiast
Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,055
 
Hails from United States
Re: Humane Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvenus
wish I had your skills, I like it

Thank you!
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.