WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States
Humane Society

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Humane Society
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This started as a plein air painting which I decided to take a little farther. Most of the plein air group was painting historical buildings but it was spring and nothing green and all living was out yet so I decided to paint something all living..looking into the local humane society. I really havent worked much on the cats since the plein air and since have focused more on the reflection.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C&C welcome but especially interested do I need to work on the cats more since I've got more detail in the reflection?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Humane Society

Gosh, it's such a sweet and subtly rendered piece, I can't think of a thing to criticize. Very nice!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Great work. Different. Keeps the viewer interested. The reflection nicely painted. The detail of the cats works as is imo.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Wonderful work on the cats and the reflection! I like the cats as they are now.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
brr cold!??

Don't think you should change anything- love the expression you gave these two-it tells a story- with the car in the background and the title I will call it "waiting". Waiting for a good home/or to be picked-up. (make prints and sell/gave to the Society). It is Beautiful.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 AM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States

no...the cats are marvelous...and so is the wonderfully rendered car. I would slightly mute the car, that is not make the contrasts and detail in it so sharp, it proclaims itself just very slightly too much. About the title. The Humane Society is a good thing, but looking at it objectively, while it does good, there is also a lot of sadness involved. Unwanted animals I understand can be donated to experimental studies and unwanted are also put to death. The problems connected with animals are far greater than the means of solution. My only point being that the title might be off-putting to a respective buyer who would better respond to a simple title such as "Wanting Out" It is a well done work of art.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2010, 02:27 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Hi Janet. I also think it is a wonderful capture of the cats with a story. The only thing I would change is the title. The painting is great and I love the reflections..........Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Rongotea

Hails from New Zealand

wish I had your skills, I like it
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanom
Gosh, it's such a sweet and subtly rendered piece, I can't think of a thing to criticize. Very nice!

Thank you!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbart
Great work. Different. Keeps the viewer interested. The reflection nicely painted. The detail of the cats works as is imo.

Thank you!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb789
Wonderful work on the cats and the reflection! I like the cats as they are now.

Thank you!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bis007
Don't think you should change anything- love the expression you gave these two-it tells a story- with the car in the background and the title I will call it "waiting". Waiting for a good home/or to be picked-up. (make prints and sell/gave to the Society). It is Beautiful.

Thank you! I like "waiting". It is deffinately better than "humane society". I sent the society an email showing the painting and we are discussing how to best use the painting to promote the humane society. It is now entered in a local art show starting this weekend. If it were to win an award promoting the shelter would be easier.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corby
no...the cats are marvelous...and so is the wonderfully rendered car. I would slightly mute the car, that is not make the contrasts and detail in it so sharp, it proclaims itself just very slightly too much. About the title. The Humane Society is a good thing, but looking at it objectively, while it does good, there is also a lot of sadness involved. Unwanted animals I understand can be donated to experimental studies and unwanted are also put to death. The problems connected with animals are far greater than the means of solution. My only point being that the title might be off-putting to a respective buyer who would better respond to a simple title such as "Wanting Out" It is a well done work of art.

Thank you! I wondered about the car. I'll mute it just a bit. "wanting out" is a good title. You are right that "humane society" is not a good finished title. I've been emailing the society trying to come up with a way to promote it and/or bring in some much needed funds. Maybe linking the picture on facebook and asking for suggestions of a title?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSBB
Hi Janet. I also think it is a wonderful capture of the cats with a story. The only thing I would change is the title. The painting is great and I love the reflections..........Lenore

Thank you! Yes, the title deffinately needs changed.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvenus
wish I had your skills, I like it

Thank you!