WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 02:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States
My Celebration Play Book

Here is my second journal on my drawing / sketching journey. You will see there is a theme going on, as this journal was ALSO begun in 1998 and quickly fell by the wayside for many years. I was intrigued by the Suzette Morrow workshop that Robert has been doing, and I decided to use this book to do the exercises in that course. In case you want to look at it, it is at: http://theartstudio.ning.com/ and it consists of 21 daily prompts to help you get into the habit of sketching daily.

My "Grammy-duty" schedule may not allow sketching every day, but I will follow the prompts to the best of my ability. This book is also brand-unknown. It is a black hard cover, spiral bound sketchbook, approximately 8 1/2" x 12" with approximately 60 - 75 lb drawing paper.

So here is my first page, which was done in 1998. The explanation follows the page.

Here is the explanation: 1997 was a particularly difficult year, as my then college-aged daughter developed a debilitating and mysterious illness that kept her out of school for 2 semesters, in continuous pain, with no explanation, no prognosis, and no specific treatment plan. During that time, I was her nearly full-time caretaker, medical coordinator, research associate, all the while trying to do my real full time job well enough to not get fired. The good news is that eventually "something" worked and she recovered gradually and was able to go on to lead a full and highly productive life (as evidenced by my now 3 1/2 year old and twin 10-month old grandsons!)

During that time, I was physically and emotionally exhausted and when I finally began to trust that she was out of the woods, I wanted nothing more than to get back to my creative endeavors. So, I painted 2 watercolor apples (before I knew anything about watercolor), and pasted them onto the front page of the journal, intending to continue being creative. Instead, I have 8 or 9 pages of written journal entries and nothing else. I was very soon back in the role of caregiver, as my father's health began declining and for the next several years, he lived with me and I cared for him until he passed away at age 89 in 2005. The time I spent with him was a great blessing, but not much creativity got cultivated during that time period, either!

So now, fast forward to the present. The next several pages will be my exercises from the Suzette Morrow workshop. After that, I expect to use the rest of the book for true experimentation. I will try to be free and try sketching all sorts of things and not think or worry about the results. Here are my first several days of exercises:

Above is Day 1, which involves random drawing in little squares while repeating over and over "How do I feel?" Once the squares are all filled, you go back and try to "find" images and bring them out by drawing in pen over them. I dreaded this, as drawing from my imagination has always been the hardest thing for me. I was pleasantly surprised at how many images I found and how recognizable my drawings are (to me, at least).

The next two pages are day two which involves cutting images from magazines (or in my case, I used out of date art catalogs and junk mail). You glue them randomly onto the page and then extend and connect the images with whatever art materials you want to use. These were done with micron pen, Inktense Pencils and colored gel pens.

Day 3, below, is about filling shapes on the page with line, using the line in a given space to create value by placing the lines closer and farther apart. (Note that this book is slighly larger than my scanner bed, so I get light coming in around the edges on some of the images)

This page was done with micron and pentel black pens, #2 wood pencil, and colored gel pens.

And finally, Day 4 is about drawing with left and right hands simultaneously, to engage both left and right hemispheres of the brain. I want to do some more of this, but this was all I had time for today:

Thanks for looking! C&C's always welcome and appreciated.

Jean

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Re: My Celebration Play Book

Those are interesting and fun looking exercises. For someone who has trouble drawing from their imagination, I would say you did very well, judging from all the things you "found" in the first example. I like the "both hands" sketch - I neglected to do that one when someone put it in the scavenger hunt a while back. I like your "jewelry" and the shapes connected with line.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

I am so glad to see you are coming back to creativity. Life has a habit of interfering just when we need our creative selves the most. Lovely apples. The exercises are fantastic.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Life does have a way of stepping in and sidelining our art at times, and is so often health related...either our own or a family memeber's health. Glad to see you have time now and it looks like you're making a good start on this!! That one page reminds me of zentangles.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Good work, Jean. I had seen Robert's sketch of drawing with both hand simultaneously and was inspired to make that a challenge on a scavenger hunt I hosted a few weeks back.
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jean, this is so great! I'm glad you found the Suzette Morrow workshop. It's great, I love seeing your version of the exercises. Way cool.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Michelle: Thanks! So far, I have enjoyed all the exercises, even the ones that I sort of dreaded. I was surprised how connected my two hands felt when I did that exercise.

Debby: Thanks! I spent my entire career in the computer industry - very left-brain and logical. Having discovered that I even HAD a creative side was a revelation, so it is especially nice to have time now to nurture it!

Joan: Yes, you are right. I didn't connect it with zentangles, but that page does remind me of them. Thanks for commenting.

EP: Thanks. Someday, I hope to have enough time to join you all in the scavenger hunts. They look like so much fun, but the schedule is still WAY overfilled!

Robert: Thanks for pointing us over there to Suzette's site. I'm so excited to do the exercises, I want to do more than one a day. But, I guess that defeats the purpose of establishing a habit, huh?

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Yep. I kept it up for 21 days and obviously do still have the habit. So keep going! Just do whatever that day's exercise makes you feel like doing. I noticed that whatever it was, I'd come out of it feeling like creating.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hello! Welcome to the forum! I'm Zenica, I have a journal (actually several) that are listed under this forum as "Zen's Journey". I love the "EDM" series as well as the Suzette Morrow workshop. I've tried a few of the prompts myself, but I'm more interested in my own little adventure. I draw every day... most of the day too, I also get "withdrawal" when I don't have art supplies with me.

You have a good journal going here and I hope this turns out well for you. I also read the section about your daughter. I had a similar experience, still unknown and constant. It started about 5 years ago. So as curiosity goes, did she ever get a diagnosis? I learned (mostly) to deal with the problem. I'm still in the process of learning my degree so I know how hard it is to keep up with the work. My mom was my caretaker, we tried everything to fix it, but none of the tests showed the answer or solution. I'm sure she still has nights where she worries if I'll be okay. I'd say the hardest bit, is not knowing. My artwork helps me deal with that...

I am interested in seeing more of your work. The journal is looking great so far. Have a good one!

Zen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks Zen! I just sent you a private message about my daughter's illness.

Jean

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 02:41 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jean, here's the new link to Suzette Morrow's free "Start a Sketchbook Habit" workshop. She's moving it off Mixed Media Workshops to The Art Studio still at Ning. http://theartstudio.ning.com/group/sketchbookhabit

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the update Robert.

So today is day 5. The exercise is to observe and draw something that is right in front of you. I had one hour while I waited for my Grandson at an appointment, so I sat at their front desk (no receptionist is there on Saturdays) and sketched a variety of office "things" on the desk. Here is today's sketch:

I'm pretty happy with it. If I cared much about a finished product though, there are some things I would want to fix and I listed them as "Lessons Learned:"

1) Use of space. As often happens, I got crowded at the top and right side of the paper, with lots of space at the bottom. There is a hole punch between the pencil cup and the filing tray and I didn't have nearly enough room for it in my drawing. I could have left it out, but decided to just put in as much as will fit and I think it looks okay. Also, as I was drawing the scissors, I realized I had made everything in the cup a bit too big, so was not able to get all the misc. "stuff" in that was there in reality. That's okay, in this case, but in a different situation, it might be a little frustrating to run out of room.

2) Perspective: The plant pot is wider at the top IRL. No biggie, as there was barely any plant in the pot to draw. The biggest issue is the paper clip box, which looks like it is leaning way forward. I can see exactly what is wrong, but did not see it at all until I "finished."

This was a great exercise - just the kind I hate to do, but end up learning a lot from.

Got to go pick a friend up from the airport. Will post more later.

Jean

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

That's exactly why I like sketchbooks. They don't have to be a finished project. And, you can learn from the practice, what works and what doesn't work. I think you did really well. The mouse in particular shows a lot of contour and depth.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jean, that's so great. If you understand the errors, then it was worth doing them. That is so cool. You did great on these things.

One of the hardest things I had to learn was that it's okay to simplify and change what's there -- that it's not like snapping a photo and may look better with fewer items in a pencil cup.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks Debby and Robert!

It's been a few days since I posted, but I've been sketching some every day anyhow. I took multiple days to complete days 6 and 7 in the Suzette Morrow workshop. Had so much fun with these, I just took my time with them and kept playing and playing with color. I really love the combination of micron pen and Inktense pencils and both of the exercises felt like they needed color.

Day 6 was a repeat of day 1, where you draw boxes with random marks in them - based on what you feel like doing. Then you "find" as many objects in them as you can. Once again, it surprised me how many things I was able to find and draw:

Next, I did the Synetics exercise, where you make a long list of words and then draw images that are triggered by the words. When I looked at the finished list of words, I groaned. I didn't think I would be able to draw images for most of them without having some reference to look at. But once again, I was pleasantly surprised at what I came up with. I just kept plugging away at it and I think I only copped out on a couple.

One specifically was "Mustang." When I was a teenager, my best friends family bought her a red mustang and I LOVED that car!!! But, I have no clue how to draw it, so I just wrote the words. I'm okay with that!! Just gave it my best effort and had a LOT of fun doing it.