WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States
A New Life for An Old Aquabee Sketchbook

I have a 9 x 12 Aquabee sketchbook that I've had for a long time. Like most of my other sketchbooks, I've done a few things in them and then put them aside and forgot about them. This sketchbook has had a couple of lives already. In it's first life, I did some sketches on a snowy Thanksgiving weekend while riding to Pennsylvania in our truck. Well, I sketched them in the truck, and painted them in the evening at my mother-in-law's house. The date on these says 1995. There are two more pages of similar sketches.

I revived the book a couple of years later when I got the idea to sketch flowers from my garden as they bloomed. I planned on having 100 flowers - like a Georgia O'Keefe book I had called "One Hundred Flowers". I think I got up to 13.

After I quit painting the flower journal, I did some half-hearted pencil sketches and the sketchbook got put aside again.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Re: A New Life for An Old Aquabee Sketchbook

Today I'm giving the sketchbook yet another life. I want to learn how to sketch in ink. There are several reasons for this. 1. I really like ink sketches and have seen some sketchbooks done in ink that I love. 2. I am a very tentative sketcher, and my pencil sketches are very light (I enhance the contrast on most of them so you can see them). I sketch and erase, and sketch and erase, and it takes me forever to get a sketch done. Sketching in ink will force me to be bolder. 3. My light pencil sketches sometimes rub off so much that you can barely see them. Ink won't rub off.

So I went into the WDE photos and did a few pen sketches. I think I am going to like doing these.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Michelle, these are great! Thank you for sharing your watercolor plein airs and your flowers too. Those are beautiful. Your ink drawings are lovely. I often sketch in pencil under mine and do my correcting in the inking, so if you're hesitant in the pencil stage that just makes it easier to clean up after ink.

The cockerel came out fantastic. The street artist is excellent and that landscape with reflections is gorgeous. Well done!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Great stuff. The watercolor florals are especially nice.

David
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

looking good

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 AM

Hails from Belgium

It's great that you've started using the sketchbook again! Pretty flowers and snow scene.

-Raymond-
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Very nice, Michelle! Are the winter scenes in the Poconos by any chance? I grew up not too far from there, along I-80.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Arlington, TX

Hails from United States

Good for you. It is so nice to visit old sketchbooks and become friends again. I like ink sketches also.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Lovely work Michelle, especially those first watercolours.

Doug
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Thanks, Robert, David, Vivien, Raymond, John, Nancy, and Yorky.

John, the old w/c sketches were done along Route 80, around the Hazelton area, or maybe a little further west. There are a lot of areas along 80W where you can see a long way off, so you have time to do a quick sketch before the landscape is behind you, especially if you are riding in a truck. I tried it from a car, and it doesn't work as well. I no longer have the truck, and we haven't been out that way in many years, but I had a lot of fun doing those simple quick sketches. It forced me to be fast.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Michelle it is great to see your older work. Nice to hear the stories associated with them too. The flowers are so pretty. Good idea for restarting in your journal. I sketch in pen quite often and love it. I find it very freeing for some reason. When I pick up a pencil, which I still do, I tend to get hesitant again and like you erase and sketch and erase some more. All the scavenger hunts have helped so much.

Great cockerel/chicken. Really nice shape. You did a good job on the pavement artist and landscape too. I look forward to seeing more. Don't be scared, just keep trying.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hi Michelle,

Well, I thought the landscape looked a bit familiar! I was born and raised in Bloomsburg, which is only a few miles west of Hazleton, right on I-80, so I'm very familiar with the area. I'm looking forward to the rest of your book!

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Michelle, thanks for showing us your wonderful snow scenes and flowers. The ink sketches are marvelous. I think a lot of sketchbooks end up going through phases as the artist puts them down to move on to other things, then finds them again. It shows the artist growing and changing.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2010, 01:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Mickey - I'm glad you are giving this one a new life. I can just imagine you sketching while Dave was flying along I-80!! Good idea to practice sketching in ink. These came out great!! I love the rooster. Keep 'em comin'.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2010, 03:05 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Thanks, Jacqui and Dr. Debby.

John, I'm glad that you liked and recognized my little PA sketches. I started sketching from the truck during the many trips back and forth taking our two sons to and from Penn State. It was a long trip and doing little tiny sketches was a way to entertain myself and make the trip seem not so long.

Joan, it was fun sketching in the truck. That was a long time ago, and I haven't really tried to do anything like that since. Most places I travel now the scenery is more complicated and goes by too fast. As for the ink sketches, I always liked looking at ink drawings, but I really fell in love with those sketchbooks that Jerry Brommer and Cheap Joe showed us at the Springmaid workshop. I've just never been able to commit myself to using the pen long enough to get good at it. Now maybe I will.

Mickey