WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia
Feline adventures

I have 3 cats at home and have finally started getting brave enough to start sketching them. I have wanted to draw them for such a long time but never had the courage. I am going slowly (mostly) and hoping to develop my skills. I am also trying different mediums - pen, pencil, watercolour, whatever grabs me at the time. I'll also be trying some from photos for those "tricky" poses. Most drawings will be my own cats but I am sure a friendly looking stranger or two will pop in now and then.

So here are some of my first from life attempts.

These ones I did from photos

I am happy with the faces but the leg isn't as good. The paw isn't big enough. Didn't notice it till now.

Thanks for looking
Jacqui
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Hails from Belgium
Re: Feline adventures

Nice details on the face! I like the profile sketches too. I hope you're not having much trouble with the cat moving all the time.

-Raymond-
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Beautiful life sketches! Thank you for bringing them all together in one place and adding your sketches from photos. Lovely cats from photos! Love the look on the face of the upper left one, that "You wanted my attention for what?" look. Gorgeous profile, you got the length of the head and graceful lines of the chin and muzzle so well -- looks like a huntress on the prowl! Beautiful liquid luminescent eye, fantastic.

If the paw is too small in relation to the photo, you were sketching the paw and arm of a male cat. The paw is just right for a dainty female like Gemini, not too small at all for a queen. Paws are one of the most obvious secondary sex characteristics in cats, males have usually got quite big paws and females may have unusually small paws. Individuals vary of course, you can get dainty-pawed males and bigfoot females, but generally this holds true.

Ari's got gigantic fluffy feet while Gemini has particularly tiny paws, our two cats are pretty extreme in that way and he's twice her size. Males are also more likely to have wide cheek fluffs. Again, this varies and sometimes depends on the age a male gets neutered.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Good job so far on your feline sketchbook. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your favorite cats.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Thanks Raymond and Mickey. Robert I want to thank you so much for always being so giving and generous with your feedback and information and support. I have learnt so much from you and I truly appreciate it. I never knew that about the male and female paws. Yes it was a male paw I was trying to draw. In this household the male cats are long and sleek and the female is very round and fluffy. She also has legs like treetrunks, very big heavy and strong with matching feet. And I know its not all fur I'll be paying more attention to those small details in future.

Thanks again to all for looking,
Jacqui
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:49 AM

Hails from Belgium

Jacqui, thank you so much for sharing! Love the face and the eye I relly am looking to see more of your drawings!

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
~Calvin & Hobbes~
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lovely kitty sketches. Getting life pictures from cats is hard. These are great. That face from a photo is so classically "cat". Looking forward to seeing more.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jacqui, that's what I thought. Because your drawing had perfect proportions for our female cat Gemini -- she has particularly dainty paws but not beyond the norm. More the tiny-delicate side of the norm. Ari has huge paws and then extra fur on top of that with the toe tufts to add to it, so they look even bigger. But you can tell when they scratch something what the claw spread really is under the fluff.

Hair texture can strongly affect a cat's looks. How thick the undercoat of the fur is will affect it. A lot of undercoat will make a cat who's skinny look solid, stout and stocky, while a thin undercoat can make a cat look rangier and bonier. Your girl cat may just be very plushy or she might have super-muscled panther limbs or both. But the best guide to how much is fur is to get her swiping at something that holds a mark and look at the claw marks spread.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jacqui, that's what I thought. Because your drawing had perfect proportions for our female cat Gemini -- she has particularly dainty paws but not beyond the norm. More the tiny-delicate side of the norm. Ari has huge paws and then extra fur on top of that with the toe tufts to add to it, so they look even bigger. But you can tell when they scratch something what the claw spread really is under the fluff.

Hair texture can strongly affect a cat's looks. How thick the undercoat of the fur is will affect it. A lot of undercoat will make a cat who's skinny look solid, stout and stocky, while a thin undercoat can make a cat look rangier and bonier. Your girl cat may just be very plushy or she might have super-muscled panther limbs or both. But the best guide to how much is fur is to get her swiping at something that holds a mark and look at the claw marks spread.

Or give the cat a flea bath, but that's taking your life in your hands. lol

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

good work on the sketches from life getting the basic shape down first then working on the details. Looking forward to see your progression.

sketching animals from life is really difficult, it seems like as soon as you want to take a picture or do a sketch .. they get up and move

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Thanks Raymond, Debbie, WC Lee and Robert. I had a closer look and feel of her paws and she does have a very thick undercoat. I'm sure that will make her feel better as she gets offended if you call her chunky. I guess thick undercoat is like being big boned for a human
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

I found a sketch I did of Tristan when he was a kitten, from a photo. Was done a little while ago, and I think I have improved since then. The paw and ear studies are from life. I'm slowly trying to get all the pieces and then put them together.

Thanks for looking

Jacqui
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
LAWSONVILLE, NC

Hails from United States

You have captured Tristan's attitude very well! I can see he's about to race off after something real or 'maginary. Kittens are cute at that stage, unless their target is your leg!

--Rich
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Great pose on the kitten. Your studies of ears and paws are really good.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Thanks Rich, I loved the pose. He is still so playful now, which is great.

thanks Debby.