WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2010, 06:58 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
My International Fake Journal 2010

Several months ago, I found an awesome art journalist who keeps a blog called "Rox Wound Up". I've posted a link in the thread "Great Journal/Blog sites. The "International Fake Journal" is her brainchild. Each April, beginning on April 1, she starts and encourages others to start, a fake journal. I decided to participate this year, tho' I did not have a blog or website to post my pages as I progressed through the month. Then I realized I could post it here.

For more information about "fake" journaling, here is the official site.
http://officialinternationalfakejour....blogspot.com/

I won't be able to post everything today. For some reason my new camera and my computer are not talking to each other and I'm working on it. I did take these pictures with the idea that I would post them somewhere during the month of April. But, it didn't happen.

I made a sketchbook for this journal because there would only be 30 or less entries. I had a pad of watercolor paper laying around, so turned it into a coptic bound book with soft covers I created out of fabric and stiff interfacing.

Inside the front cover is a pocket in which I am placing a 3x5 card with the following disclaimer.

"This is the journal of Hans, the beekeeper in an alternate 2010 where the economy has already collapsed."

The writing is hidden by the pocket.

The top text is simply data. The date, sunrise, sunset, moon phase, high and low temperature for the day.

"Saw this lad in the window. It was snowing most of the day. It would not have done any good to check on the girls. The probably didn't even come out this afternoon when there was a break in the clouds. I didn't bother to go out today. I was content to stay indoors and read. I do hope the trader was able to find chocolate. We are expecting him to show up any day now."
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:14 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: My International Fake Journal 2010

Debby, this rocks! You're writing and drawing science fiction. I love it. What a cool project! Beautiful drawing of the fly too.

Gorgeous cover. Please do type in the text as you post the journal pages, the illustrations are lovely and the story is fascinating. Hans the Beekeeper has a good thing going -- unless the area has sugar cane fields, Hans has something everybody wants. Even if they do. Honey has a lot of uses.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Love your "lad" Debby! I would never occur to me to draw a fly, and yet, how tender he is, with his luminious eyes and faintly tentative expression! And lovely transparent wings! He looks like he should star in a children's book!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

What a great idea. I love the start of your story, wonderful pic of the fly too. Can't wait to see more.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2010, 05:33 AM

Hails from European Union

That's a neat idea, Debby. Poor Hans will have to fight some adverse conditions it seems.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2010, 05:41 AM

Hails from Belgium

OOOH!!! An encyclopedia! Love the data that comes along with it too

-Raymond-
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2010, 12:46 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Thank you Robert, Anne-Marie, Jaquip, Silvia and Raymond for your lovely comments. I had fun doing this.

I keep a private written journal and a sketchbook, but I really love the idea of a combination. The idea of the fake journal is to quiet the inner critic and try things. (It's not your journal. ) After having completed this, I find that I really liked the combination of ink and water color pencils that I used for the drawing parts. But, the page layout felt really contrived. On the other hand, I was pleased with the idea of pictures and writing. I am currently looking for a sketchbook or journal that will take the light washes for watercolor pencils and also allow me to go with multiple layers if I choose to use colored pencils instead. And that will take ink without dragging the pen. (I admit, it may be impossible. ) I find that CP watercolor paper is too rough for how I used regular colored pencils. Anyway, I'm playing with several sheets of sample paper and am finding out what I like and don't like. I still need to try HP watercolor paper. I may just have to make my own sketchbook, like I did this one.

"Another interloper today. Took this one outside. Cool and quite overcast today. I didn't check, but I'm sure the girls stayed inside again today. Had a customer drop by hoping I had honey for sale. I've already sold the 2009 crop. It's too early to be getting more now. He offered old dollars. Now, if he thought to offer me something decent, I could have seen my way clear to release a jar from my stash. Still no trader. Thought for sure he'd come before Easter."
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

Wonderful, Debby! Really clever.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Thank you Diana.

"The sun came out today. Saw the first dandelion and wouldn't you know, one of my girls was on it. Mr. L came back today. This time he got it right. I'll be having fish for a couple of meals and he's got his sweet. Still no sign of the trader. He knows I keep rose honey for him. He's bound to show up soon."
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2010, 06:45 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Have you ever read a book called Lady Cottington's Book of Pressed Fairies???

I think you'd like it - it's absolutely brilliant (not remotely cutesy). It's written very seriously as a journal. at the start by a girl who catches and presses fairies in the pages and writes - her writing changes as she gets older and there is more and more that you are understanding behind what's actually said and she continues until old age - the fairies are rather naughty, often ugly and the whole thing is really unique and different.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

This is so awesome. I love your latest entries. It's understated, powerful SF and I like the tension of waiting for the trader. Beautiful sketches of the spider and the dandelion.

Either a homemade hot press one or a Moleskine watercolor journal might be good. The paper's only 90lb but it doesn't bleed through, and I've had no trouble doing pen and ink on it or watercolor pencils as well as watercolor -- or using heavy washes when I wanted to. The pocket size one isn't that expensive just to try one to see if you like the Moleskine paper. I think it's extra sized for that no bleed through or something.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 03:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

You have got me hooked, I can't wait to see more entries. Love the simple drawings, they look awesome.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 PM

Hails from Belgium

Debby I really got hooked by the title of this journal, and now I really want to see more! Loved the page with the dandelion and the bee

ps: rose honey? is such a wonder really existing? wow! (Honey fan in me talking here )

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
~Calvin & Hobbes~
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 07:07 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Vivien, no, I have not heard of that book. So, I looked it up. Have to see if I can find a copy.

Robert, I actually, in playing with paper samples found a beautiful hot press watercolor paper that works with everything I currently work with and how I work with it. It's Acquerello Portofino. Unfortunately, Blick is out of stock until the end of the month. I have set aside a small fund to buy this in sheets and bind my own sketchbook as well as having sheets to do finished drawings (as opposed to sketching). I tried looking for it elsewhere and no one else seems to sell it in sheets only in pads or blocks. *sigh* After all this, I hope that it sews up well for casing in. Other hot press paper I've tried, such as Strathmore Imperial, even the lightest touch of a "poke your eye out" sharp pencil point digs into the paper, leaving grooves and marks. I'm sure it's lovely for painting, but I do more drawing. In the meantime, I've got lots of paper and pencils to play with. (Must use the supplies. )

Jacquip, glad you are following along. Next entry coming up.

Sandra, actually, yes, there is such a thing as rose honey. I am a beekeeper as well as a confectioner and wanna be artist. I have about 6 jars of rose honey left from last year. When you open the jar, you smell honey. The second sniff and you smell rose. There are lots of wild roses growing around the bee yard. The trick is to steal the newest capped honey just as the roses are finishing blooming for the year. It's not 100% rose nectar, but enough that you get the smell and subtle flavor. It's lovely in tea. Glad you are enjoying the story.

"Found this little lady when I went outside this morning. Sun was shining. The girls were quite busy. Clouds rolled in this afternoon. Looks like snow tonight. Kind of quiet today since I don't hold with this church stuff. Still no trader. I hope he's ok. Checked my supplies. Now, I hope he's got pencils, paints, and pens too. I think I have enough honey. Could use some paper too."

"Dug a little in the compost this morning when I added to it. Turned up this beauty. In reality the colors were paler. It snowed most of the day without sticking. The girls stayed in today. Hope they are getting enough when they can fly. Mr. B dropped by late afternoon. He brought firewood. A good thing, I'm almost out of dry and have been trying to get the green dried out enough to use. Still no trader."
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

This is so great. The story's wonderful of course, it's simple and engaging. Very powerful.

I knew of rose honey but I've never had it. It sounds wonderful! Now the honey lollipops make sense too, since you're also a beekeeper. I knew you'd at least researched beekeeping but now I'm even more thrilled you're writing this from life.

I love the earthworm. You captured that look some of the red ones get, shiny and damp, moving in sinuous muscular grace. They're very dextrous, and you caught a perfect gesture in its pose. Magnificent! Cute ladybug on a slightly yellowed leaf. Again an interesting pose, coming forward rather than from the side or above the way they're usually drawn.

I love the realism of the illustrations. Your dandelion was gorgeous too. That earthworm is perfect. That's just elegant.