WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 09:04 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States
My Maine Sketchbook

First of all, let me say that I have a love/hate relationship with sketchbooks. I've never seen a sketchbook that I didn't like - until I start using them. I have many, many different kinds of sketchbooks, most of them with only a few pages used. This is my most recent, and the most cohesive as far as theme is concerned. I was very excited when I started this on a trip to Maine last year. It was a brand new sketchbook from Cheap Joe. It looked like it would be perfect for pencil, pen, and of course watercolor. After all, it has a PAINTBRUSH on the cover. Wrong! It takes pen and pencil wonderfully, but when you use watercolor the page turns gray. You can't see what color you are using. When it dries, it looks fine, but it's very frustrating while you are using it. Not sure yet whether I will give up and only do pen or pencil in it, or whether I will continue to use w/c and just make sure that I use very little water.

Here's my Maine Sketchbook so far.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Re: My Maine Sketchbook

That's it so far. Looking forward to continuing it on another trip to Maine, maybe this summer.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Mickey - Glad to see you posted one of your books, and the Maine one is great!!! I love the front page with the Pemaquid Lighthouse and the rocks. We will definitely have to plan a trip up there soon so you can add to the sketches.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

You are off to a great start, Mickey. I hope you get to Maine again, so you can continue the book. And don't feel bad about haveing a bunch of sketchbooks with only a few pages used. I think that is normal. At least I hope it is.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Immortalized
Ludlow, Vermont

Hails from United States

Mickey,
This looks great so far! i brought my Moleskine book with me to Ogunquit last Sept, didn't like my sketches so I ripped them out. I have a few other WC sketches in it but am saving it for better ones. Silly, huh? I have several other sketch books that I haven't finished. I like the one I am using now, a Flexi Sketch from Cheap Joe's and it takes a light wash even though it is only 75lbs paper. It is 300 pages too! It was only 17.00!

Keep your sketches coming!

Reggie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Your sketches are great, and Maine is a wonderful subject! Maybe the in-process watercolors are frustrating with the behavior of the paper, but the end result looks very nice. Keep 'em coming! (I empathize with the uncompleted sketchbook syndrome, by the way. This forum will hopefully be incentive to change my unfinished ways...!)

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 AM

Hails from Belgium

Amazing landscapes. That is indeed difficult if colors you apply turns to grey. Kudos to holding up on it!

-Raymond-
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Absolutely beautiful Michelle

Doug
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

That must be frustrating to paint gray only to have it dry in the color you painted. However, your perseverance has led to some beautiful paintings. You are not alone in "unfinished" sketchbooks. I have 3 in various states of done-ness and 3 completely blank ones sitting on my shelf.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Michelle, I have separate Maine sketchbooks too! I love seeing your drawings and watercolor pieces of all those familiar places. It's so interesting how sketches can evoke so much mood and memories, and doing them retains so much feeling for a place as opposed to just taking photos. Thanks for sharing...I will try to get a thread going with my Maine sketchbooks too. So much to do, so little time...That's when sketching is perfect!

Jamie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:31 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! Michelle, you may hate the gray shift and being unable to tell what the watercolor's doing till it dries, but I think you compensated for it well enough. The watercolors are stunning! They have strong deep colors and good value ranges. They have beautiful accuracy and color harmony.

So far this sketchbook is magnificent. I hope you can get used to how the watercolors look in progress because your results are gorgeous. The pen drawings are great too. But that last one where you painted the bare trees from negative space is just superb... wonderful paintings. Keep going!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2010, 04:32 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

nice work even though the paper sounds a nightmare

I love the Canson book - there is a link to it on my thread. The paper is a soft white, not brilliant white but it takes virtually anything I've thrown at it. (it's a smoothish watercolour paper)

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2010, 11:43 PM

Smile Re: My Maine Sketchbook

WOW, what beautiful watercolors! I especially like "Ocean Point"--that looks like a frameable, "done" painting to me.

Re: having a love/hate relationship with sketchbooks: do you think that maybe one of the reasons might be because you are trying for a cohesive theme, or are expecting all of things that you put in your sketchbook to be of such a high quality? Because the things you have posted here are really nice, super finished, which is wonderful but I'm wondering if you feel a pressure for everything to be like that? One of the nice things about a sketchbook opposed to a "piece" is that a sketchbook is just for you--for you to doodle in and noodle around in, to just have fun with, you know? It's something totally for you and there's great freedom in this. It doesn't have to be cohesive. It's actually kind of fun to see the "stages" one goes through in terms of interests and technique and progress, etc. If you can enjoy that--the progress of your notebook--then I think that might be a key in using them up (if using them up is something you want to do)

Hope this helps
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

good points

and exactly how I feel about my books - they are totally pressure free because there are no expectations of everything working, there is freedom to experiment and play.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Hello. . . I have never been to Maine and always wanted to go there (esp. since I read a bunch of Stephen King which is often set in Maine!). Your paintings are beautiful and like an armchair vacation to Maine! I will look forward to the next installments when you visit again. Thanks for sharing!