WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
DK's Sketchbook #4 - Anything Goes

Yes, I am starting another sketchbook, this makes four I'm working on at once, but each has it's own purpose. This one is the "Anything Goes" sketchbook. Any subject, any media, from life or from photos. The idea is to get me to try different things, I'll probably be doing a lot of sketches from forum challenge thread in this book. The sketchbook is 8.5" X 11" and is a hardbound journal type called "Master's Touch" by Fine Art Studio. It has the rough, heavy off-white paper found in most journals of this type.

While the idea is to get me to try new things I started this book by working on graphite, but the subject is new for me;

This is from this week's D&S challenge. I meant for this to be just a one hour sketch, but the subject is deceptively complex and I was enjoying it very much, so I spent about three hours on it.

David
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: DK's Sketchbook #4 - Anything Goes

Nice perspective on the violin, David. You have a deft touch with graphite.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Cool! Might you have been inspired by Robert's Goof-off Book?
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Austin, Tx

Very nice. The only thing that I see that I myself had to get some advice on was the use of softer lead to add some more depth to the piece. I am not sure how dark the values are in the photo as it is just that but I would guess the darkest values were created with a 2b or maybe even 4b lead.

If you use just two more higher like 6b or 9b or ebony you will see a huge difference in the depth.(ebony does tend to be a bit shiny though)

I have a few sketchbooks going my self but I find myself experimenting with the different paper types.

All around very good. It is particularly difficult to draw such structured subjects and the perspective is awesome.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:12 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Very accurate drawing, Dave! Musical instruments are hard - especially acoustic instruments - because there are so many curves to deal with. Few nice straight lines or right angles as with structures. Having played fiddle for a few years, I could tell right away that you nailed the instrument.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Might you have been inspired by Robert's Goof-off Book?

Possible. Even though I plan on doing many WC challenges in mine it really won't look much like Robert's I only plan on doing one sketch per sheet. I purposely picked this larger size so I could sketch larger, though the violin didn't use the whole sheet, that sketch actually only measures 5.5 X 8. Also, I'll have sketches in this book from other photos and probably a few life sketches as well.

Quote:
The only thing that I see that I myself had to get some advice on was the use of softer lead to add some more depth to the piece

It's actually quite a bit darker in person and I'm not sure the paper would have take much more graphite. The background is many layers of 4b. Like Robert has mentioned, graphite can be difficult to scan accurately, probably due to is shine.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

David
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

That's right, I'm updating 3 of my sketchbooks today! I don't turn on my computer every day, so you're getting updates on everything I've done since Sunday.

You'll probably recognize this one from the Pen & Ink forum May challenge since Robert has already done it. This was my first attempt at colored pen and it didn't go anything like I planned. I was hoping for a smoother look, but the only way to do that would have been with pointillsim and I just wasn't feeling that patient that day. It did turn out kinda Van Gogh-ish. If I had started with that idea in mind I might have had something.

David
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

David, nice teacup. It has it's own style.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! Your graphite violin is spectacular. Wonderful realism. The teacup did come out well. I used pointillism and you took another texture, but I think yours worked well too.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks Robert. I've discovered however this book won't work well for all media. In fact, it didn't even work that well for the violin. The paper is quite light yet very rough which means it takes lots of effort and/or layers to fill all the valleys, not exactly a good combination. The label advertised it as all dry media + light watercolor but at only 70lbs I should have known better. I think this book will be relegated to light to moderate sketching, mostly with dry media and some pen work as well. I was unable to find a large format sketchbook with paper similar to paper in my hand.book brand sketchbooks, (which I think is ideal) but I've got another idea to use for an "Anything Goes" sketchbook, though I probably won't have time to implement it until next week. Anyway, the format of my work for this thread is going to change somewhat in the future.

David
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2010, 03:25 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I've thought of getting some hot press paper, chopping it to 8 1/2" x 11" and putting it in a ring binder for a true All Media book. I might do that once I fill my All Media Book, because HP allows that kind of refined pencil work and it doesn't hurt it that the pages are 140lb rather than 90lb at all.

90lb watercolor paper only comes in cold press though. Hot press is great for fine detail and for shading smoothly and filling all the valleys. Some cold press papers are like Rough when it comes to valleys. I haven't tried a HandBook brand sketchbook though, so I might when I'm farther along with the Moleskines that I have in progress and start looking at the next generation.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I think I can officially call this the " 9x12 Light to Moderate Sketching" sketchbook now. I don't plan on doing more than using dry media, and possible, very, very light subtle watercolor washes, but we'll see about that later. For now I have this just completed sketch to offer, took a little over 3 hours;

This is from last week's "Weekly Drawing Thread" in the D&S forum.

David
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Nice truck! I love the proportions, depth, perspective and sheer volume in it. This is great! Way beyond what I can do. I'd better start improving on vehicles and buildings though, in four years I should at least be able to do loose vehicles that look real but less defined and good attractive buildings in a recognizable way. Or at least ornaments on them.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

That's an awesome truck. You draw vehicles so well. (I know, practice. )
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

good start on your anything goes sketchbook and the beautifully rendered musical instrument is a great way to start it off

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons