WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
England

Hails from European Union
Learning Watercolours

Inspired by this forum, I have decided to start (yet another) sketchbook, and post it on this board. This one is going to be of watercolours, and I hope to learn how to use them efficiently during the process. Later on I may include watercolour pencils, and perhaps ink.

The first page is just of colour, trying wet-on-wet mixtures and a couple of overlays. The next couple of pages have reffed sketches and some more colouring.

C&C welcome of course, thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0570.jpg (104.3 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg img_0571.jpg (103.2 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg img_0573.jpg (108.7 KB, 220 views)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Hails from Belgium
Re: Learning Watercolours

Wow Aiylah, those first pages are beautiful!
I really like the duck and the minuature landscape on the top left of the page.

Please post more!

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
~Calvin & Hobbes~
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States

Really a great start!
Dena
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 11:11 AM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Great start. The landscapes are wonderful.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Aiylah, wow! Your color tests page looks like a cheerful abstract, all those flying swatches with interesting forms and cheery colors. I smiled at the sight of it, what a beautiful start. I do those all the time, whenever I get new paints or whenever I get new ideas for colors and combinations. So that brought up a thousand happy memories and is a perfect example of a joyous thing.

Then I saw your mallard. Sweet! Love the bright head and soft brown patterns, nice proportions, great duck. Well done.

Then your forest scenes took my breath away. These are incredible. Each page builds on the last and I know this is going to be one of my favorite journals. You're new to watercolor but not to art. Excellent paintings. Keep going!

The cool thing about watercolor is how portable it is, you can go anywhere with that if you use a small folding palette or a travel box with pans. Your choice of subjects leaves me thinking you'll take advantage of that soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do plein air!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United Nations

Aiylah - Your landscapes are very good.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
England

Thankyou all for your kind comments!

robertsloan2, thanks very much Yes, though I have had watercolours lying around for a couple of years now, I never really got into them. I tried them, but used them more like I would use acrylics and rarely got any decent results. Then I attended an art workshop recently and the teacher gave me a couple of tips (the wet-in-wet and the overlaying). Now, a couple of months later, I have decided to take it up properly, as it's a lovely medium!

The weather is picking up here, I hope I can find some nice place to go and paint.. a "secret" place.. I'm a bit shy about painting in public

I've seen people in this forum post their materials, so I thought I'd show mine too. Beware, I'm a messy painter with bad habits
The first are my two watercolour boxes, I mainly use the small pocket one (Cotman, I believe). The larger one is Pelikan. The second is my journal, a simple watercolour pad which was cheap. Good enough for a start
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0575.JPG (121.4 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0576.JPG (94.6 KB, 210 views)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the photos of your supplies! I recognized both of your sets. That little Cotman set is excellent. I like the way you rearranged the colors in it too, very cool. Looks like you use the Pelikan more for large paintings, the pans in it are worn down just as much ... unless the way I did, you've been replacing pans in the handy little Cotman set.

Looks like a good watercolor pad, 24 sheets is generous. They're a good choice for journaling because the sheets are usually the full 140lb weight instead of the thinner 90lb weight that comes up in journals -- you can do more with heavy washes and wet in wet stuff on heavier paper.

Good luck on finding solitude for painting. Your paintings are lovely enough you probably wouldn't get rude comments if you did paint with people around. But if they make you nervous, then put your painting first and hunt around for that special spot. Or put up a sign that says "Yes, I'm an artist. Don't talk to me, I'm concentrating."

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:01 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

This is a very nice start, as I'm just getting into watercolor I'll watch your progress very closely, you're way ahead of me already.

David
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Aiylah these are great. I remember when I first started with watercolour I attended a short course and got into doing all those colour swatches. I have pages of them now, but have kept them and refer back to them often. Then when I get a new colour I add to it. So invaluable, and fun in a strange sort of way.

I love the duck, but those scenes are stunning. Amazing work. You have a great feel for watercolour. Really nice to see your materials. I have never had a pan set but am interested in getting one some day. Would be so handy to use out and about. I have only used watercolour pencils for that.

I will be subscribing to this thread and keenly watching for more great works.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 PM

Hi--

I liked the duck; the colors are delicate and interesting. I loved seeing the pictures of your supplies--that is so interesting to me, to see the way other people work! I'm wondering if it would be helpful to you to note what colors you used on the first page, or when you do color studies? Or is it obvious to you what you used? I always forget, so I make a little note. It's helpful and also, in a sketchbook, there's something I just really like about such notations. It almost becomes part of the art.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Aiylah, looking forward to your watercolor and journal progress.

Best wishes, ...
Delbert
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." ~ Marianne Williamson, A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Great idea! Great start. Love the head of that mallard duck. Such a jaunty fellow
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

You are off to a great start. This is a very good idea how to learn a new medium. I am new to wc too, but I am having fun learning. I look forward to seeing more of your art work.

Doug
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
England

Thank you all

robertsloan2, I haven't replaced any of the pots yet. I got the Pelikan set quite some time before the Cotman set though, and they are good for larger paintings - more space for larger brushes!
Yes, I might just start painting in the garden or something, then move on to more public places

jacquip, yes, the little set is perfect for around and about - also for taking on holiday, where my acrylics would take up too much space in my suitcase

Anne-Marie, I can remember the colours of one set, but now since I might be using a mix of two, so I started off today by making a colour table. If I use both sets in one painting then I can make little colour tables next to them as to remember what colours I used.

So, today's pages - a colour sheet, and a couple of sketches from photos.. I think my paintings will go up and down during this journal depending on how much practice I've had with the subjects (also from other mediums).. I had trouble on the seascape with making the white of the waves stand out, I'm not sure whether it's best to paint around the white "spaces", or paint the whole thing and use tissue etc. to lift off some of the paint when it's still wet? (Seen this technique for clouds). The butterfly turned out a little "muddy".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0578.jpg (91.8 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg img_0579.jpg (89.1 KB, 182 views)