WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2010, 06:50 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Water Folio One (Moleskine A4 watercolor folio)

I've started Water Folio One, titled it on the first page and got a reef scene sketched to pick up where I left off on The Goof Off Book. These are big pages, so they may get quite a variety of multiple images per page -- and occasional large paintings like what I did with the last one.

It'll fit on the scanner better. Here's the thread for it. There's going to be lots and lots and lots of little fish again!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Water Folio One (Moleskine A4 watercolor folio)

Here's the first painting in the new watercolor journal!

Coral II
8" x 10"
Daniel Smith Watercolors
A4 Moleskine Folio Watercolor Book 95lb cold press watercolor paper.
Photo reference by lisilk for Weekend Drawing Event May 14-16

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

This looks so peaceful. I could almost be snorkeling myself.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! This is what I do instead of snorkeling. I've always wanted to but I don't know if I'm physically capable of it between asthma and other physical disabilities. I love drawing and painting reefs though, so I'm sure if I ever make it to a place like this and get special help being able to snorkel... that I'll go down with a pad of Yupo and some oil pastels or grease pencils to do corals plein air!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Great start, Robert. Beautiful under sea painting. The colours are bright and cheery. I got a chance to snorkel in Hawaii about 35 years ago, and I still remember it. I had never seen such brightly coloured fish and they were everywhere. Anyway, glad to see you are starting another journal.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 AM

Hails from Belgium

Feeling awfully blue today, but your sketch made me feel better

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
~Calvin & Hobbes~
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A beautiful start Robert.

Doug
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Doug, I would love to visit Hawaii someday and snorkel. If they won't let me snorkel for health reasons (asthma and mobility problems), at least I'd love to go out in a glass bottom boat and see these beauties for myself someday. Only thing is, I should probably pack everything I own if I get to go because it'd be too hard to turn around and go back afterward!

Sandra, that is so awesome. There are paintings that do that for me too, if I'm having a hard day I'll feel better just seeing them. So glad to know my reefs make others as happy as they do me -- painting them is some serious pain relief at times.

Doug, thank you! Now I just need to keep on from the good start and not let this shuffle to the back of the stack for a year or two like my first Moleskine watercolor journal did.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States

A great first page, Robert!
Dena
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United Nations

Love the range of blues you have used,Robert. Looks like a real fish tank, to me, with those cute yellow fishes moving around.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you both! I'm happy and surprised at how popular the little yellow striped fish are. I'm glad that I put in so many of them.

Here's the finish -- I completed Page One by doing the Lucky Heron from this week's WDE, photo reference by lisilk. So both of these paintings are from the same WDE.

Page One - Moleskine Watercolor Folio
8 1/4" x 11 3/4"
Watercolor, Pigma Micron pens in blue-black and black.
90lb cold press watercolor paper.
Photo references by lisilk for May 14-16 Weekend Drawing Event.

Because the heron has a crab in its beak, it was hard to distinguish exactly where the beak tips were. I had to study the reference closely. I also measured proportions of beak length to neck length to body length and overall height, creating tick marks before building up the pencil sketch.

Once that was completed and corrected, I inked the heron with a blue-black Pigma Micron, including the two big branches dripping with Spanish moss that I put in for its background. Final stage, I used some of the dark blue watercolor mix left over from shadowing the coral reef on the bird. I mixed green in to make a gray-green, then brightened it with more green for the foreground clumps and browned it with some Quinacridone Burnt Orange for the bark of the tree. Last, I used a little Perinone Orange to do the heron's red eye and thinned that to salmon pink for the crab.

I'm very happy with it and think it goes well with Coral II -- both are from the Bahamas, both are nature paintings, the different styles help distinguish them from each other and a gap with text in it helps separate the two paintinsg along an interesting division. The layout was completely intuitive but I like how that came out.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Immortalized
California

Robert, I am so glad you embraced this new forum. This page is amazing! I love all the blues in it. I have one of these A4 and the bigger A3, too, but I haven't gotten around to cracking them open yet. I intended them for plein air acrylic.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:07 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

The heron is great. I just love that style of ink and wash. You do it so well. I checked out a book from the library by Claudia Nice, because you mentioned her. I can only aspire.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Yay you did the heron, and you did a much better job than I did. Maybe I should stick to ink and abandon the paints, hey?
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Julie, that's awesome! I considered getting the A3, but I wouldn't be able to fit it on my scanner and so I'd probably hardly ever use it. The A4 size is actually a better fit than all the 9" x 12" sketchbooks I've used, so it's wonderful. Thank you! I'm so glad you like this page. It's got so many that I know I'll do many, many more. I do have some acrylics so I might try those on paper too, done thin like watercolors.

Debby, thank you! Yes, this heron is the style I studied in Claudia Nice's book. That rocks that you found one of her books. I think she explains the basics of it in all the books regardless of what the subjects are. The one I bought is Painting with Watercolor. Pen & Ink, it combines Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor and Painting Nature in Pen & Ink with Watercolor. Almost all of her titles go into that style though. She did one just on pen and ink, but you can start doing washes over the pen drawing and it'll start looking like that.