WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Folio One (A4 Moleskine Folio Sketchbook)

I checked back on "Start a Sketchbook Habit" workshop on Ning by Suzette Morrow. Today's exercise was drawing by observing without erasing anything. Well, that was easy. I just picked up a pen and as directed, looked around to decide what to draw that was right in sight.

Ari was on my lap looking off toward the window. I love his black ears. So regardless of his not posing in a position where I could see his face, I started in on my favorite sketching subject of the past ten years. Here he is, covering 2/3 of the first page on the back of the Frontispiece:

Cat Sketches, May 20, 2010
8 1/4" x 8"
Pigma Micron pen
A4 Moleskine Folio cream heavy drawing paper.

I don't know what I'll do on the rest of the page, but I'll probably keep it all to black ink penwork for coherence.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Ari is in the folio! Excellent rendering, even if he did move when you were doing the ear studies. You could probably dedicate pages to cat studies and still be in keeping with the theme of the book.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! Yep, that's exactly what I did too. He laid down again on the bed with his back turned and kept moving every few minutes the way he does when he's sleeping. So now I have a two-page spread of Ari sketches. I might even do at least one more, he turned around and now he's facing me. Silly cat waited till I was done and putting these on the scanner!

Folio One, Page One
8 1/4" x 11 3/4"
Pigma Micron pen on cream heavy drawing paper

Pardon the mistake at the bottom, one drawing ran right over into another and unpleasantly connected. He doesn't actually have an extra head coming out of his head!

Folio One, Page Two
8 1/4" x 11 3/4"
Pigma Micron pen on cream heavy drawing paper

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Very cool. I love your Ari drawings. He's such a beautiful cat.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 05:51 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Oh, I didn't get art till I was in high school. This country hasn't ever understood what it does for a child's education to teach realistic drawing at an early age -- what this teaches in observation, focus, creativity, ability to express yourself. I wouldn't have been quite such a hotshot in grade school if they had, because within two or three years the rest would've been doing recognizable pencil sketches of cells or the structure of the feather or a rat skull.

I've seen 19th century drawings by grade school kids that would blow you away, totally amaze you. There's a myth in this country that only the talented few can learn, but there was a time when those rich enough to be in good schools all routinely came out capable of good realist drawing in pencil, charcoal, pen and watercolor. Also capable of recognizing and appreciating great art when they saw it. I'd love to see art reintroduced to the grade schools, it would do something good for the kids and for the country and the economy.

Rob, I totally agree on all you said. I had art in high school too, but I know if my kids want to take it, it's not required, only an elective. We had REQUIRED art. I never got as good as drawing anything from the 19th century, but we did shading and depth as well as observation with a variety of media. It's so sad to see the art classes being cut.

Love your drawings of Ari. What a beautiful kitty!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Nice work, Robert! I need to pick up a couple of the folio-size Moleskines, which don't seem to be a normal carry item for the local art supply stores for some reason (or I've been oblivious to them, which is quite possible - ). I find different sizes of sketchbooks to all be useful for different things. Keep up the work with Ari, who may become the most drawn feline model in sketching history...!

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 07:20 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! Yep. I think art needs to be taught seriously at the grade school level in the normal required curriculum -- the actual realistic drawing skills, proportion and shading and line and tone. Little kids learn somewhere around that age with the present school system that they can't do it, that they're not "good enough" or "talented enough" ever to learn, and that puts the USA way behind the world in terms of the arts.

Even private schools don't emphasize it or teach it early, they think of children's art in terms of unbridled creativity. When what's really being repressed is the desire to draw what you see accurately and belief in their ability to do so. I was doing rats realistically around first or second grade, because I had a pet rat and a father who was a scientist that could draw realistically. It wasn't impossible or reserved for the rare few because he taught me how he did it.

Instead, even in the outside school art lessons they taught Picasso and other nonrepresentational art stuff that completely bored me. Little kids love realism. They want to draw their comic book heroes or their dolls, they want to draw the things they like, they copy cartoons because those are available and the art that they're used to. I'd say let them! Mix it with the fine art classical drawing exercises and let them get creative in choice of subject.

Here's yet another portrait of Ari, the famous feline model of all my inspiration. He turned around facing me every time I was using the scanner, writing or posting. I tried out a new pen with this one, doing an example for the review on my art supply reviews blog (in my sig line). This page is getting penciled first, then inked, unlike the previous two pages.

Ari sketched with Zebra G Comics Nib
4" x 8 1/4"
Zebra G Comics Nib and Kuretake Manga Black Ink, penciled first
A4 Moleskine Folio sketchbook, heavy cream drawing paper.

I did him again, finally facing forward, but I'll see if I can fill this page before scanning again. He might pose again!

JTMB, I agree with you, different sizes of sketchbooks are great for different types of things. I let myself go on these big pages, but on bad days I like a small page where I can finish something a bit faster.

Oh heck... he was still there sleeping in different positions so I did him two more times and here's the page!

Folio One, Page Three
8 1/4" x 11 3/4"
Zebra G Comics Nib with Kuretake Manga Black Ink, Sakura Pigma Micron, Pitt Artist Pen (black brush nib), Tombow Dual Tip Brush Pen, brush side.
A4 Moleskine Folio sketchbook, cream heavy drawing paper.

All these are sketches from life, everything on this page was penciled first though. That helped to deal with his moving around!

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 05-20-2010 at 07:43 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2010, 03:45 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I did promise some biological curiosities in the opening statement, right? Well, here we depart from life for drawing from photos, one of the WDE photos for this week really jumped out at me with a biological curiosity. I made some notes on it and included them in the scan. This book should have bits of text here and there -- good legible ones too, which is why everything's block printed.

Seahorse
4" x 8 1/4"
Derwent Drawing Pencils (24 color set)
A4 Moleskine folio sketchbook, cream heavy drawing paper.
Photo reference by mginsberg for May 21 WDE

This is my first experiment in using mediums other than pen on this paper. It's very smooth, not toothy, so it may still be best for ink drawing. Still, there are other color mediums I may try on it. We'll see what it does with hard pastels, Conte crayons, various colored pens and other styles of colored pencils drawing.

It might even be good for "Textured" colored pencils drawing, where some of the paper flecks show through in the shading and it's not burnished and layered into a painting. The textureless style works best on very soft toothy paper like Stonehenge, so maybe its opposite will work well on this!

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
Naples, FL/Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

Wonderful sketchbook beginning. Love the Ari sketches. Does need a little lace, butterflies and fairies, though, ha ha. Just teasing.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Yay, more Ari sketches. I think every artist should have a life model of some sort that they can draw in different poses. I suppose that's what all those plastic and wooden manikins are. But cats are so much more flexible. The seahorse is grand.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Wonderful sketches of Ari, I especially love the one of him face forward and sorta curled. I had a white cat for 16 years that I rescue from the shelter. . . he passed on to the rainbow bridge four years ago and I sure wish I'd been drawing back then and could have captured some of his moods and gestures as you are doing with Ari!

Maybe I should begin one for my dogs! A journal dedicated to the dogs sounds like a great idea. . . I'm going to start one right away as soon as I find a suitable sketchbook. I think I have a few blank ones somewhere.

Debby, I love your wording for it, 'life model'.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2010, 02:55 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! LOL Judy... butterflies might make it in, but I doubt the "cute" stuff will unless it's the occasional kitten. A friend has photos of her cat's newborn kittens so I saved off some of them with her permission and may do my "very new kitten" thing again in it.

Debby, life drawing is its own cool thing. Cats do move around a lot though! I have a cat manikin but it can't begin to get into the poses Ari can and it hasn't got an adult cat's proportions anyway, more a cute big-headed kitten. Maybe someday I'll dig it out and sketch it being mauled by a playful real one.

Rainy, that's so sad your cat is gone. Maybe if you still have any photos you can work from those, though. I do have Ari photos too, even though he's camera shy. Starting a journal for your dogs would probably be a great idea. That'd rock... and the more often you do them, the easier it is to really see them. Ari's poses are all very familiar to me now after having sketched him so much. The brown blob with ears is fascinating and this series showed me just how much he moves around when he seems inert.

I'd still like to catch him yawning sometime though, that dangerous fanged mouth in the ultimate relaxed stretch. He's so cute when he yawns, and so much the tiger in your lap too.

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

This morning while I was watching my watercolor jellyfish dry, I noticed Ari was facing me on the bed -- and he wasn't moving. So I sketched fast, hoping to capture the pose, and he kept the pose. I got a pretty detailed pencil sketch and then had breakfast. He still hadn't moved so I got a good look at him in the same pose to ink in his fur -- this is a study of how he looks when he's sleeping rumpled and fluffy!

All Over Bedhead
5 1/2" x 4"
Sakura Pigma Micron Pen
A4 Moleskine Folio sketchbook, heavy cream paper with a smooth texture.
From life.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 05-22-2010 at 01:11 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

I love the seahorse, Rob.. another great review!

And of course, Ari ranks way high up there .. your sketches are superb.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States

Robert, just amazing Ari sketches! Great work on every one of them. I love seeing them and I'm not even a cat person. Oops! Maybe should not have revealed that! Oh well, that is what makes each of us so interesting, huh? I believe that the world is about love. Tolerance for our differences is a great expression of love.
Dena