WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:54 PM

best Apple iPad apps for artists?

I just got an iPad (had only a Shuffle before that) and am discovering the wonderful world of apps. I see that there are several drawing/painting programs and wondered if anyone had favorites and/or advice? Of course there are user reviews at the App Store, but I especially value the views of WetCanvas artists.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

PS Am LOVING the iPad! I'm generally a low-tech person and just really wanted an e-book reader, but when the iPad came out I decided I could get that and a whole lot more for a (relatively) little more money.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2010, 10:32 AM

Hails from European Union
Re: best Apple iPad apps for artists?

Well, I have brushes on my iPod and have always been very happy with it. Also heard only good things about sketchbook pro, never tried it though.

I really wished it would be possible to use a sharp pointed stylus with the iPod/iPhone/iPad though. I hate painting with my fingers.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks! So far I've seen a few more recs for Sketchbook Pro as well, but no details about why. I plan to keep researching a while longer...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
East of Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkling
I really wished it would be possible to use a sharp pointed stylus with the iPod/iPhone/iPad though. I hate painting with my fingers.
Check out the Pogo Stylus and Sketch products, you can paint with those on touchscreens. I haven't tried them myself yet, but they look very interesting.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 02:49 PM

I actually have a Pogo Stylus and while it works for some applets and in some contexts, drawing is not fun with it and I wouldn't recommend it either .

There are basicly two problems with it. The first one being that the Pogo is not exactly sharp pointed, actually the point of the Pogo is more like a half-sphere that has the same diameter as my pinky, so one never knows where exactly the line one draws is going to begin.

The second problem is that one does have to apply some pressure to it, before it does anything at all, however controling that amount of pressure is rather difficult. If you press to soft, nothing happens, if you press to hard or for too long, the iPod/Pad/Phone is going to interpret it differently.

And let's not forget another deficit of the "oh so user-friendly Apple toys", you can neither print your results, nor use any easy way to get your once finished sketch or painting onto your default mac or pc. The only thing you can actually do is trying to export the sketch from the painting applet as an image file into the image folder and from there you can try to email it to your default account.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 PM

it is suitable for artist.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
East of Eden

sparkling, thanks for the info on the Pogo stick and the iPad. The more I look at the iPad the more it looks like a wait-for-the-next-version situation. No printing, no USB port, no widescreen, no GPS, no camera, no multitask - not a device for professionals, at least not yet.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llawrence
sparkling, thanks for the info on the Pogo stick and the iPad. The more I look at the iPad the more it looks like a wait-for-the-next-version situation. No printing, no USB port, no widescreen, no GPS, no camera, no multitask - not a device for professionals, at least not yet.

Couldn't agree more here
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Blythewood South Carolina

Hails from United States

Typical I believe of most Apple products that the second generation is better and that your even better off waiting for the third generation.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. I've read some more and plan to get the SketchbookPro app. I'll post comments after I play with it.

I agree with the opinion widely shared that the iPad is better suited for content consumption than for content creation. Personally, I wanted a Kindle and got that, plus email, web surfing, and so much more. BTW, I understand that there is a wireless printing capability, GPS app and multitasking will come with the fall release of the new OS.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase of the "most fun toy evvvveerrrrrr" (and am totally tickled with some goofy apps like the zen timer app complete with singing bowls, Star Walk to see the constellations, and an obsession with Words with Friends and Harbor Master that may not be altogether healthy), but I plan to soon learn how to use it for some work functions like reading and marking up pdfs, creating training presentations, etc. Time will tell.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Blythewood South Carolina

Hails from United States

sounds good. If you get a chance as you use the Kindle share your thoughts I would be curious to see what you think about it as time goes along.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 AM

I love my ipad! I use it for everything and find that i go to my laptop for only gaming now. I love the kindle app and the stanza app for ereader apps. As for art apps, i think my favorites are art studio and sketchbook pro. I have the others like layers, brushes and artists touch, but the first two are the ones i go to the most. You can even export your paintings between programs to use the features from all of them. I frequently do this between sketchbook pro and art studio. I have printed them in small scale from my photo printer, and they looked fine. I believe that they can look decent up to 11 x 14 inches or so. You do need to tweak the colors before printing as they look different on the ipad than paper.

Here are a few examples that I have done playing around with it

Last edited by Beckys Pet Portraits : 06-24-2010 at 12:51 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Hails from United States

I bought "Brushes" last week because I feel it is the best art app available for the iPad. I love the way you can "pin" a photo to your easel and then paint from it. I also love the playback feature where you can watch your finished painting develop from beginning to end.

But last night I saw that Sketchbook Pro is on sale for a limited time for ONLY $3.99 so I picked it up also.

Founder of www.artmatch4u.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 PM

Hails from Canada

Last month I also bought sketchbook pro from autodesk - only $4! I love it so far. Here are some sketches that I did last fe weeks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29566912@N05/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 AM

I am blown away by this thread!! The idea that the ipad would be used this way while makes sense to me, was a very fleeting thought. I would rather spend that money on a nice wacom or even a tablet laptop and use sketchbook there.
Kudos to you who make this work for you!!!