WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Hails from European Union
Turn the Red into Blue

Okay, so since I voted that I would participate in this forumn as well, I guess it's about time I should start a thread myself, too.

It's my habbit to keep between two to three Art Journals and sketchbooks at the same time, but I will present only one of them here. I doubt that my work will be too interesting, but as I love it myself to watch other people's journals, I guess it's only fair to let others see my humble creations as well

Okay, I'm a horribly chronological person, so I'll start my first post with the cover.

I love decorating the front cover. Guess you can tell
Paint, beads, buttons, rhinestones, strings, stickers, I use whatever I have available.
Oh and just so you know: the relation between the titles of the journals and their content is usually minimal or even non-existent. The titles are most of the times verses taken from poems, songs or novels that inspired me to create the cover at that very moment.
Looking at this one I clearly sense some sixties vibes here .
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM

Re: Turn the Red into Blue

Uhm yes. The first page of the new diary is about my basic art journal philosophy: don't be afraid to ruin pages or the whole journal or you'll never get to use it at all. Seriously.
My first sketchbook was one of those expensive Moleskine books and I felt too embarassed to use it for anything, because it felt like only a really really really good sketch deserved to be drawn into that noble book.
Needless to say I almost never used it for anything at all. Until that day when I accidently spilt some color over a few pages. Funny enough I realized that now that I had ruined some pages, I was free to paint and sketch on them the way I always wanted to and I still think that the sketches on those pages turned out best.
So ever since then I try to block in the first pages with weird colors or stuff, so that I feel secure that no matter what my drawings and sketchings will look like it can only improve its looks.
And, of course, I don't buy any expensive sketchbooks anymore
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 02:50 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Silvia; Love your Journal! Very nice Cover Page and also the first cartoon page. You are quite right in saying "don't be afraid to mess up your pages". After all it's YOUR Journal and you can do what you like in it. Looking forward to seeing more pages from you.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Geelong

Hails from Australia

Hey I agree completely, if i had a nice journal I would sit ruling a contents page and all sorts of stuff. The first few pages I would then do really neat and nice. Then when I messed it up I would just forget the idea.

So these days I use any notebook in the shop, and just scribble away to please myself..It is liberating to be a complete bum!

Scott.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks so much Viv and Scott .
Yes, it's so true, for some strange reason the cheaper sketchbooks make for better art

Okay, here are the next two pages. Unfortunately my old scanner doesn't work anymore, so I have to photograph them.

A small study of some magnolias for an oil painting and

another one for the Different Strokes Challenge.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

LOL! I love your philosophy. Great journal!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Silvia - I love your journal philosophy, but you are wrong about your journal not being interesting. I really enjoy seeing whatever people are doing because it is the people who are interesting behind the journal!!!

I can already see that we share some of the same love for color - just expressing it in different ways. Thanks for joining in.

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

The cover of your journal is great. I love the first cartoon. And I too enjoy seeing how other people work in their journals.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:50 AM

NHyde, and this was only the first rule. Be warned, there are more wisdoms of this kind to come ;D

Jean, you are so right with your observation. Yes, I l o v e color. And shapes

Thank you Debby. Well, about the cover, I've come to the conclusion that it is not quite done yet. It needs more beads. A whole lot more beads. *lol*

Okay, and on we continue with two (actually 3) more pages.

Since the paper is not really meant to take a lot of water and will easily bleed through I use the left pages for random thoughts and notes and the right pages for painting.
However, in my attempt to ruin the first pages(c) I covered the first couple of pages with colored gesso. That way I can easily use both sides, but I don't really like the surface of the gessoed paper. It's too rough for my liking as it almost feels like sandpaper.
So for now I'll stick with using only one side of the paper.

This painting was a little experiment with embedding fabric and lace in the gesso and painting on top of it. Here's a little detail:

And just because I was bored, a portrait of a tiny doll:
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 05:14 AM

Hails from Belgium

I adore the cover! The mixed media is great! I do think it's better taking a photo, most scanners washes out the colors, especially the light ones. Thanks for sharing

-Raymond-
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 AM

Hails from Belgium

Sylvia, I simply LOVE your journal philosophy! bought some Moleskines too, and could never get myself to drawn in there...

Anyway, your journal is very refreshing, and I really like the doll portrait! I like the "cut in 2" feel of this one Thumbs up for the cartoon on the first paga s well And those magnolias are very cute indeed !!!

~ Sandra

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
~Calvin & Hobbes~
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

It's great reading your comments about what works for you as well as seeing the results on your pages. Looking forward to seeing more.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! This is amazing! It's one of the best whimsy books I have ever seen -- it's elegant. I love your philosophy of sketchbooks. It's exactly what inspired my Goof Off Book... and you have done it to the hilt. I laughed out loud at the first page. I loved the eye-popping cover -- though I do have one suggestion. If you want it a little more legible without losing the red side's monochrome red feeling, maybe paint in the lettering in a one step darker red, a cherry approaching maroon or a warm orangy red that approaches maroon. Just dark enough to see the letters but still obviously be another shade of red.

If you deliberately wanted the "turn the red" phrase to be hard to read on a red background, then don't. I honestly don't know if that was your intent or not, I just had a little trouble seeing it because my eyesight is not the best. And when you said you were adding more beads, I knew you were still working on it. That's another possibility -- glue and red glitter would make the red letters pop out by texture. The brilliant blue against the red is wonderful, it jumps out so bold and pop-art screaming joyful that it makes the cover rock!

It is a neat design even if it's still in progress.

All your pages are elegant. I love the varied materials and the two-page spread with that statement just got to me. No one wants you when you're down and out.

I've lived that, it took seven years for me to get my disabilities diagnosed and get social security and in that time I could not work or even take care of myself. I still can't. I would have died but for some friends who let me stay at their homes for weeks or months in succession, and before I got it I wound up in a homeless shelter for three years.

I'd been very active in a club for about a year before going into the shelter, participating in all the activities and sharing the club's interests. When I went to the shelter, every one of those local friends stopped calling and wouldn't answer my calls. I didn't get the newsletter any more. I didn't get contacted for anything. It was as if I'd died, not just run out of options for housing because the people I rented a room from needed it for their new baby.

So that page really moved me. It's been a little over a decade since that disaster, I got social security in 2005 and so I've had five years of relative safety and four years of living with my daughter in comfort and joy. She takes care of the housekeeping that I can't do for myself so well that I'm amazed. She cooks when I can't stand at the stove and thinks it's no trouble because she cooks for her husband and kids too. The way I live now, it's the best time in my whole life ... but I still remember what happened in those bad years, still coming to terms with it.

So, thank you for including that page. It reminds me that it wasn't just me, I was in the path of the tornado. It happens to anyone who has a bad patch in life whether that's a divorce or job loss or health problem. The only thing I can do is try not to turn away when a friend hits a rough time, but if they go offline there's no way to stay in touch.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Very nicely done, Silvia! I like the magnolia study - my own sketching tends to gravitate toward nature and landscape subjects.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Silvia, thank you for sharing your book. It's a good example of how an art journal can be freeing. I love how you are not confined to a style or subject, but use the journal to explore everything from subjects and mediums to thoughts and feelings. Hopefully our journals can help teach us how to say things through our art as you have done.

Jamie