WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 12:17 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Itty Bitty Book of Kitty

I just got my new sketchbooks in yesterday in my Blick order. One of them is a two-pack of Moleskine Volant sketchbooks. Only 2 1/2" x 4", the cream colored pages are microperforated and could be pulled out and trimmed off to ATCs provided I remembered to mark off half an inch on the long side to get it to size.

The cream paper suggested sepia monochrome to me. Kitten saw them and said "Dad, that's for really small ink drawings." She's right -- it's not watercolor paper so most of them won't get washed, but the grain is very smooth and good for penwork with a fine point.

So the kitty of the title is on the very first page of this small collection. I'm not sure if I'll theme it on life sketches of my cat, but he's in there at least once and probably will show up again because he can't help being beautiful and I can't help drawing him if he sits still for more than 30 seconds.

Ari On My Lap
4" x 2 1/2"
Sepia Pigma Micron Pen size 01
Moleskine Volant sketchbook.

More to come... I'm pretty sure everything in this book will be very fine detailed pen drawings. But I might get in some pencil or colored pencils miniatures as well, I'll decide when I get there.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 05-06-2010 at 01:10 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Little Bitty Book with Kitty

That is tiny Robert. Ari is beautiful as always.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! This one may fill up fast because it's so small, but I'm going to explore detailed miniatures in it and may have it with me on outings for life drawing too. There's an advantage to working small if you want to finish something fast!

Here's a photo of the actual sketchbook on my keyboard with its mate laying next to it, so you can see the dimensions in relation to a laptop keyboard.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Your new Sketchbooks sound tiny, Robert. But you've made a great start with Ari's sketch. They sound ideal for pen & ink drawings. I'll look forward to seeing what you sketch in them.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 07:12 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Very nice, Robert! We've been working on large canvases in my oil painting class, so my psychological view of what is 'small' and what is 'big' has changed. My class project is on 30 x 48" canvas. So your sketchbook seems really tiny right now...!

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

I get so confused with your daughter, "KItten" and your pet, "Kitty". But I see it's the pet you're drawing, so nicely.

Your moleskins sound like the perfect size for portability.

Carole A
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you!

Vivien, I think I'll mostly be doing pen drawing in this one, but possibly branching into soft pencils like Graphitints or Derwent Coloursoft or even the watercolor ones -- especially if the pages that seem so thick do stand up to a light wash, I might do some pen and wash and sketch-wash pages.

John, wow! You're probably using brushes wider than my sketchbook held longways! That scale, 30" x 48" to me is like "mural on stretchers." Awesome. That's probably where those big 120ml tubes of paint come in handy. I've never done anything that big except once, did a big heraldic design on a sheet for a medieval event. But that was more scaling up a pre-existing design and coloring in the line art, not creating a painting on that scale.

Carole, the title does refer to Ari Cat. My daughter's nickname has been Kitten for decades, so I tend to refer to her as Kitten just the way I do offline. My grandkids are sometimes The Kittenlets too, but they're not furry. Just cute, fast moving and full of mischief sometimes. And yep, at least one of the two little Volant sketchbooks is just going to permanently live in my vest pocket.

I have this khaki vest Kitten bought me several years ago for a present, it's one of these safari photographer vests with a lot of little pockets that zip or Velcro shut, the Vest of Carrying Stuff. I love its convenience, it leaves my hands free for my cane and lets me haul small lightweight art supplies. I've got some extra Pigma Microns that I can keep in the tall pen-pockets and usually have some pencils in others, so I can just keep this in one of the small pockets and have it handy whenever I'm outdoors.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Hails from Belgium

microperforated! That's convenient! Great opportunity you took there for drawing your lovely cat, it's hard to keep them still.

-Raymond-
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Robert.

I think you must be a "cat whisperer." Your many sketches of Ari are so beautiful, I can see what a connection you have with him. Also, love the size of those little journals. Sounds like that would be very handy to have if you do ATC Exchanges. Can't wait for more!

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Prismalos -- yes, it is very hard to keep him still. I have to just observe him and hope he repeats the pose more than once to get his proportions right -- and then detail by observing him in a different pose. It works after time but it's much easier doing cats from photos!

Jake, thank you! You could be right, I know cats intimately and yet every year I live with them, I learn more about them. I get along well with them but of course, my connection with Ari runs deeper than with any other cat. These little books are great for ATC exchanges. There's also some pads that come wirebound and perforated that are exactly ATC sized, Strathmore makes them. I've considered getting some, but I wouldn't treat that as an art journal because I'd be pulling out each page as I finished it and sending it on to someone to get an ATC in return.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Everytime I turn around Moleskine has some great new (new to me) size and I love the microperfs. Your kitten studies are delightful.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you!

Here's the second page in the Itty Bitty Book of Kitty. I think I'm going to slightly change the title and make this the cats book that several folks have asked for. It may or may not entirely consist of Ari sketches, I have another cat available in the house with my daughter's cat Miss Gemini, plus I like doing big cats from references and may even get to a zoo this summer.

I'll try to include a bit of text too, in subsequent pages. Meanwhile, here's the second item on my current Scavenger Hunt, "Something to do with teeth."

Scavenger Hunt 176
#2: to do with teeth
2 1/2" x 4" with text
Tombow brush pen
Moleskine Volant sketchbook
Ari's veterinarian says he has the teeth of a two year old. He is a terror among vets, he doesn't like medical appointments any more than I do and he's less shy about expressing it. Our current veterinarian took it in stride because he loves animals and knows it's not Ari's fault if he has problems being poked, stuck with needles and prodded. He is very cool as a vet... now if I can convince Ari that it helps to be nice to good doctors, he might overcome the violent traumas of past visits.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Robert; I laughed at your description of "Ari" at the Vets! I could just see it all in my mind. Love your cat sketches, your pen work is fantastic, so expressive. Our young grand-daughters have purchased a kitten (8 weeks old) yesterday. Its, oh so cute!! Its a little tabby with stripes and spots and blue eyes which may not change as its father was a Siamese. I am thinking of sketching it as it grows - but its SO active so might take photos of it instead.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Hails from Belgium
Re: Itty Bitty Book of Kitty

Nice! Ah yes, despite being the most amusing pet in the world... teeth and claws!

-Raymond-
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Itty Bitty Book of Kitty

Thank you both! Despite Ari's immense popularity and many online fans, he's a Siamese and they tend to be one-man cats. On top of that we were isolated for his entire first year with very little human contact, so he tends to be shy and suspicious of other people in person. He judges them entirely by how they treat me, and I wasn't with him at the vet, so this was a conspiracy to deprive him of my company while doing nasty things to him when I wasn't there to explain to this crazy person that he should not have needles stuck in him, things poked in his ears and other orifices, or get handled by someone not me. I think if I ever got a veterinarian who was also a friend that came over to bring me treats and give me back rubs, Ari would behave like a perfect furry angel with that trusted person. I always get his fuzzy soft cuddly purring side. More playful roommates get teeth and claws used rowdy-for-fun. Anyone who yells at me gets clawed and hissed at. I think if a burglar or violent person ever threatened me more than verbally, he'd have to deal with fifteen pounds of Cat Fu Master going for the kill.

Thanks for changing the thread title, Jamie!

The book is now officially titled Itty Bitty Book of Kitty and will be entirely themed on cats, with a strong Ari presence since he's my favorite cat in all the world.

Vivien, please, get some good photos of your new kitten! It's hard to sketch kittens from life unless they're asleep, but they do some gorgeous silly sleeping-kitten poses. I wish I still had Ari's baby kitten pictures. Eight weeks is adorable but also the age of Rocket Kitten. Try for sleepy sketches but get plenty of photos and videos -- video is a great way to get those ephemeral great action poses, just go through it slowly and choose stills from it as references.

If you post any kitten references I'll include them in the Itty Bitty Book of Kitty by drawing them and credit you (and the kitten model) when it gets posted or published. Had to make that clear, I'm not going to try to paste in photos, the book is entirely going to be drawings or if paint works on this paper, paintings.