WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 02:22 AM

Hails from Belgium
My Realms of Fantasy

Hi everyone. I've recently taken back drawing/sketching and also currently immersed with colored pencils (which I love so much!).

My journal is not really about places I've been or seen although it may have an influence. It is more of what I am thinking or in the mood to draw, wethere a sketch for a bigger piece, concept or just something I want to draw at that particular moment.

I've tried CPs on my moleskin but it is hell to color with as the layers build up it is just to glossy (or maybe I press too hard at the time, i don't know) so I decided to stick with my other favorite --- graphite!

Here's a few....

This was the first one I made here, started as a sketch of a female knight, people prodded me to finish it completely, so I did and I liked the way it turned out, after almost 10 years without practice, though I did not have any formal study anyway

I love drawing females depicted in fantasy settings.

This was another fast drawing to test out the cheap Bruynzeel we've bought. Honestly, I do not want to go back to them anymore, after having merged with another company, their products seem to be for kids nowadays. Yes, dragons in my head at this time, though I made the piece on a larger format instead.

This one I did with Staedtler Noris Clubs, another cheap package I was trying to play with. This was for reviewing proportions.

more to come. Thanks for stopping by

-Raymond-
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England
Re: My Realms of Fantasy

fun fantasy subjects

you might like polychromos or Lyra better? I do. For me they mix better and it's easy to build an intensity of colour - or very subtle mixes. It might be worth trying just one from an open stock supplier to see what you think of the way they behave.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Hails from Belgium
Talking Re: My Realms of Fantasy

Thanks Vhere! I'm actually eyeing on those small blisters of different brands to try them out.

I do have some tests made from prismalos from caran d'ache (borrowed from my dear wife). Again, still raw green from colored pencils...

I did this while waiting in the train station. I had the whole bench for myself and voila, a quick one

These two are for preparation of a bigger piece. I wanted to draw an enormous wurm thrashing through the forest amongst panic stricken orcs.

This is where this journal comes in handy too, as I am able to spare making mistakes or even changing the whole piece before putting it on a bigger
format.

And this is what I thought the "master" of the wurm should be. Did this one during my break.

I was doing a lot of research on references about medieval clothes and was also practicing the eternal circle concepts, thus the little circles above her head

And here's one more during my break just depicting a lady saying hi with three different clothes (coudn't decide what to put on her!)

well that's it for now. Thanks for looking.

-Raymond-

Last edited by prismalos : 05-05-2010 at 10:28 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:45 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Nice fantasy drawings! I like your theme. Love the active poses and imaginative details, You're having fun with this one!

I'd recommend Derwent Coloursoft if they're not too expensive where you live. They do come in blister packs and the small sets are well chosen for being able to mix from a very short palette. Caran d'Ache Pablo are probably cheaper in your part of the world than they are in the USA and they rock. I like the Polychromos and Lyra Rembrandt too. The main thing is to find some soft colored pencils, they will blend a lot better even on a relatively low tooth paper than cheap ones and have stronger pigments.

Derwent Inktense used dry are a lot like Prismacolors, very soft. So are the new formula Derwent Watercolour Pencils, my latest favorite.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lovely ladies, all of them.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I like your theme and the fantasy sketches are very good. I agree with what Robert says, that the more expensive coloured pencils are better and I think you'd be much happier with the result. Derwent are very good, and Pablos as well.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Hails from Belgium
Talking Re: My Realms of Fantasy

Thanks DrDebby! I love drawing females, especially in fantasy settings

Vivien, thanks for the suggestions too! I do have a couple of Pablos, going to try out Derwent's line. I'm glad a lot of people like Caran d'Ache too because it's not so popular in reviews and even on instruction books.
Yup, no more cheap pencils. no more!

robertsloan2, Thanks! Yup, recently got 12 Coloursoft, Inktense and Artists to test out their feel before buying a huge set. They are indeed expensive, but that's OK since they are indeed quality pencils anyway

I was concerned when I saw Blue Grey 6800 from our Artists set had a slight crack on the tip but was fine even when I sharpened them. Luckily enough too, we can buy them by piece which is very good once we're more familiar with Derwent's color spectrum.

So, after my nightmares using Bruynzeel and Staedtlers, I don't want to ever go back to them again after having used Caran d'Ache Prismalo (borrowed from my wife purpalia) and Supracolor.

The reason I wanted to use those cheap pencils was for practice since I am very new to colored pencils and I was really scared to use the quality stuffs, afraid that I'd waste them out of my clumsiness in the medium hehe.

But then, when I tried the artist grade pencils, what a difference! Pigments went out very quickly and more evenly! Now, let's hope I'd be careful enough sharpening them especially from what I've read at the pencil library. Prismacolors, sadly enough are not available here.

Hopefully we'd get our hands on Faber-Castell Polychromos this weekend, now we have all the brands to try out (I'm already a fan of Derwent line though, hehe) and see which ones we like best

Well, another daily sketch, this was crammed again in break and a few minutes in the morning before leaving. I'd like to call this, "Travel in Style" which was inspired by a friend of mine who's taking the plane to travel. I just wish we had more time

Thanks again for spending seconds of your lives looking at my (sometimes demented) sketches

-Raymond-

Last edited by prismalos : 05-07-2010 at 10:10 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Oh my! I LOVE all these beautiful, powerful women. Fantasy is definitely not my genre, but I appreciate the ability you have to sketch something so realistic looking from imagination. I like them all, but my favorite is "Travel in Style." Looking forward to seeing more.

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Hails from European Union

Your drawings are fun . You're obviously much into fantasy inspired thing, I bet you're into online games, like WOW as well .

Anyway, another recommendation for colored pencils I have for you would be Caran D'Ache Luminance. I really like them best. As far as I understand it they're made with wax just like the Prismas, hence they blend just as well as the latter.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lovely way to travel.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 12:33 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Your dragonrider is cool, lifting her tattered skirt to climb up and travel in style! Your journal is delightful. Well proportioned dragon with a great expression, she has a great expression too.

The main thing to remember in sharpening extra soft colored pencils is to always use a fresh pencil sharpener blade. It can even be one of the cheapest children's sharpeners as long as it's new -- demote it to sharpening cheap HB pencils as soon as there's any trouble turning the pencil against it. If you need to press hard, the blade is too dull. Fresh blades cut through the wood so easily it's a great feeling -- and that's what keeps points from cracking inside the case.

Also storing them well so they're not banging into each other. They don't do badly kept in pencil cups but some brands, if the tin gets tilted they all roll to the bottom and get internal breakage. Prismacolor tins were nasty for that till they invented the system in the latest big tin, where they stack and a lid keeps them all pressed into place if the tin's tilted.

I use elastic-band cases for my good artist grade pencils, especially the ones I use the most. It's a bit of an expense at the start -- the easel ones are ten dollars or so for one that holds 120 pencils, at ASW, while Blick and ASW and Jerry's all carry the Global Classic leather cases. I like leather, so I spent for the extra luxury and then liked how those handle better -- they don't take as much space to carry a large set with me if I want to go somewhere. Both types will protect delicate artist grade pencils well enough that I never get internal breakage except on getting them from stores in open stock.

Sometimes the ones in bins at stores have been knocked out on the floor too many times, the core cracks but you can't tell it's a bad pencil till you sharpen it. Then the point falls out... again and again and again. If it does that with a new sharpener, I wind up going back to the store for a replacement and most stores will just give me a replacement.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 AM

Hails from Belgium

From all the drawings my husband did, I must say that the sketches on this journal are my favourite so far, especially the "Ride in Style"

@RobertSloan : wonderful piece of advice, thank you so much for sharing

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
~Calvin & Hobbes~
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 03:45 AM

Hails from Belgium
Red face Re: My Realms of Fantasy

Thanks everyone!

Jake, thanks! Yes, I love them too! I still need training though hehe. I do think anyone can make art related to fantasy in one way or another. I myself do not have any formal study but just got them from observation like the favorite movies, pen-and-paper games of Dungeons & Dragons, Tolkien, Magic: The Gathering, etc. that I love SO much!

Silvia, Thank you! You've guessed it right except for WOW, which I really detest haha. Not that it's bad or anything, I just don't like the idea of having to buy a game, then paying to PLAY the game forever XD.

I'm a big fan of Magic: The Gathering Trading card games, RPG games (with D&D rules), fantasy books like Dungeons and Dragons (very strong influence here), Forgotten Realms, Lord of the Rings, various superhero comic books and manga, etc. (although I am a software developer by profession, I love reading!)

Thanks for the suggestion too, we've recently indulged ourselves in dozens of Derwent and maybe some Polychromos later

Debby, indeed haha! Thanks!

Robert, Thank you! I am really satisfied on how it turned out too! I am really cautious about sharpening, thanks for the tips (I've seen your hubs too)! For the meantime, we put them back on their respective cases. Way the go for leather! Great choice!

luckyily enough, we hadn't had broken pencils except for a point that was broken. Nothing a little sharpening can fix, the lead inside was still solid (thankfully)

It was funny before, although I know it's essential, sharpening those pencils hurt. I hate seeing them shrink, but well, that's the way it is

Sandra, (my purpalia )
I have you to thank for the moleskin and colored pencils gift I love drawing with you.

-Raymond-

Last edited by prismalos : 05-08-2010 at 03:56 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Fun! It's so enjoyable to see all the different journals and I like the fantasy aspect of yours.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 AM

Hails from Belgium

Thanks, NHyde! I've been browsing a lot of them too

Well, I've got new stuff to post but it seems that the forums limits the pictures in 24 hours? My wife and I use the same IP

Anyway, I hope I can get my hands on Derwent's Graphitint pencils!

Graphite.
Color.
Water-Soluble!

EDIT: Uploading of pictures worked!

Just polished my "Travel in Style" a bit more just a before lunch yesterday. I completed the other wing, more shading and tones, and also gave the young dragon a more "friendly" eye

Again, having indulged ourselves with dozens of different Derwent Pencils, I've tried out their "Drawing" line almost hastily. I actually wanted to draw the pencil but just didn't have much time (OK, I got lazy a bit there was a lot to do!). I just wanted to lay down colors . We happened upon their Coloursoft 48 in a wooden box on sale! It's the last one, so we got it for a very reasonable price. I've always wanted it So, the Derwent House. Yes, I'm officially a fan now... can't wait to use their Graphitint! I just hope they are available here!

My wife just had to put that caricature there

-Raymond-

Last edited by prismalos : 05-09-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: picture upload problems and grammar mistakes