WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States
Local Birds

Hi everyone,

This is a very nice forum addition! I'll throw my hat in the ring with a journal on birds seen in my yard, neighborhood and surrounding area. I hope this forum will be motivation to keep active in this journal - I am very busy with other art, primarily from carrying 15 credits in art school right now (plus playing in a band).

This first entry occurred this afternoon. I was on the computer in our kitchen nook, which is situated to see outside to our yard. We've converted our yard to a 'bird-friendly' yard with only a small amount of lawn, lots of native plants, a small recirculating stream and a couple of bird feeders and bird nests. (I am a certified master birder through Audubon and lead field trips for two of our regional Audubon chapters out here.)

This time of year is migration for many birds, and one of the families of birds I particularly enjoy are the sparrows. One of the species we have out here part of the year is the Lincoln's Sparrow. It is not particularly common, and is a shy bird that tends to stay buried in brush much of the time. But today, one hopped out of our rhodies onto the stream feature and took a bath. I shot a couple of pictures through the window and then sketched it, probably twenty minutes or so in the sketch. The journal is a 'large' (5 1/4" x 8 1/4") Moleskine drawing journal and the sketch is with Faber Castell colored pencils.

C&C always welcome.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Local Birds

John, lovely bird drawing. So nice of you to have a bird oasis. Looking forward to seeing more.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Very nice first entry John. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I'm sure you will have no end to interesting bird species to use as your "live models."

Great work!

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Thanks Debbie and Jean!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A great project.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

a lovely idea for a book

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

John, thank you for doing this! Excellent sketch of the Lincoln Sparrow. I think I've seen those sometimes, it looks very familiar. Great detail and proportions. I especially appreciate all the background information from your birding experience. This is the kind of nature journal I love so much. Please do work on it often, whenever you catch something new or interesting that you haven't seen fly up before!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Thanks Doug, Vivien and Robert! Robert, I'll definitely keep doing this, although I'll most likely be more active once the current school quarter ends in mid-June. Sparrows can be a tough family of birds to learn to ID because they're mostly all LBB's (little brown birds - ) that are not obviously distinguishable from one another until you get familiar with bird anatomy, plumage and noticing sometimes quite subtle differences. I really admire the photorealists who capture a species so perfectly - but don't have the personal patience to do that kind of work. I satisfy myself with sketches or paintings that hopefully capture enough of the characteristics to be identifiable - in fact, I want to start doing much looser bird sketches that really just go for the 'essence' of the bird.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United Nations

I am amazed at the vastness of subjects that sketchbooks can cover. So good to see your sketchbook dedicated to birds.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

John, I can appreciate the difficulty of recognizing the specific markings of little brown birds. I've seen thousands of them in my life and have trouble telling a chickadee from a sparrow -- but they are very cool. Usually if I've got a photo reference I try to be accurate on markings so that someone like you can tell me what it was.

One of the things that can work well for fast, loose but detailed paintings is what I've been discovering with the watercolor pencils. Sketch and wash too or Graphitints. I can do the sketch fairly loosely and then pull color out into midtones and lighter areas with a waterbrush faster than I can fill in light colors and midtones smoothly. It took a little practice to get good at sketch and wash but it was well worth it.

Though there's nothing like taking your time and using colored pencils dry, they are so cool that way.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Wow! So cool to capture this from life
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 AM

Hails from Belgium

Such a pretty little sparrow! Although I live on the other side of the world, I often see that kind of little bird too - wonder if they are of the same breed? (Wikipedia seems to think so )

Anyway, I have a question: did you draw the bird from life, sketching it, then drawing the details after memory? I wonder, because the one I see in my parents' garden are so lively that it is difficult to catch a good sight of them

I really am looking forward to see more of your works!

~Sandra

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
~Calvin & Hobbes~

Last edited by purpalia : 05-11-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: I added my name to the post!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Thanks Hydie, Robert, EP & Sandra! Well, I wish I could say that I draw birds completely from life, but generally that's not the case - they are simply too active. I have done very quick sketches as field notes, but generally my process is to draw from a photo I've taken (I've got decent photos of about 230 species of birds and they are typically my starting point). Familiarity with the species from my birding activities certainly helps as well. What most people who read the beautifully-illustrated field guides that use paintings instead of photos don't realize is that those artists typically rely heavily on museum 'skins' of various species in addition to their experience. Study skins are bird skins (full plumage) prepared by the museums from collected specimens (in the old days) or windows strikes, car hits or other sources currently. David Sibley, the author of the current bible of North American bird species - and a fabulous painter who uses gouache primarily - spent countless hours in museums while he was doing his paintings. People today don't realize that famous John James Audubon, whose name is now associated with bird conservation, was never in the field without a small shotgun and he "collected" specimens for study and drawing by shooting them. (It was a different era, remember...certainly no one is doing this today except on those few species managed for hunting.)

This particular bird was drawn from a photo I took as it was on the little recirculating stream only a few feet from our kitchen nook window.

After mid-June, I will be getting a lot more of the birds drawings done I hope. Right now in the painting and drawing classes I'm taking I'm working on a 30" x 48" master copy of a Winslow Homer painting, six 20x30" homework oil paintings (landscapes, due June 2nd) and completing two 18x24" pastel figure drawings or portraits per week for homework. That, and studying for a very intensive art history class has pretty much sucked up all the time that I would normally spend on these drawings and plein air. But...I'm learning a lot and having a great time in the process!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Great idea to keep a bird journal, and if the first entry is any indication of what's to come, we're in for some treats!

Jamie
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, John, you do have a lot of other things on your plate. I was aware that many nature artists rely on museum exhibits and photo references for their bird paintings and animal paintings. I wish I could go to a museum again, sketchbook in hand... back when I lived in Chicago and got to go to them so many times, I couldn't sketch to save my life and didn't bother to try. But even the museums that prohibit photos mostly don't mind people sketching exhibits unless it's an art museum.

The art museum in Kansas wanted you to choose what to sketch first and send in a form in triplicate and set a date to do it, which is why I never went to copy their classics. I could not plan a date and guarantee that I'd actually be able to function that day, especially in Kansas where the changeable weather was so hard on my health. Natural history museums seem to be a lot better about sketches and if I got to go to one now, or a zoo, I would be sketching so much.

But I think a museum would probably be more useful than the zoo even with my recent gesture sketching practice. Still, my own photos and gestures would help!