WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
My Goof-Off Book

Okay, this one is a fairly short journal, since it only has fifteen sheets. It's a Strathmore Windpower watercolor pad, 140lb cold press paper.

I am tempted to alter the cover and will post it when I do, right now it just looks new because I bought it in order to prime all the sheets with Colourfix sanded pastel primer and turn it into a pastel sketchbook. Plans change. I got tempted and sullied it with watercolors, just using it as watercolor paper... and that's how it became the Goof-Off book.

Suddenly it became the journal where I could goof off with watermedia or mixed media or anything I wanted to throw at it, without worrying about whether anything in it was any good.

Page one is entirely experiments from imagination and memory.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by arnoud3272 : 04-27-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Integrated image
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: My Goof-Off Book

Sorry I couldn't upload that page normally. The uploader worked moments before when I posted something in another forum!

Page Two started off on a sick day on the 13th when I decided to at least play with my Daniel Smith "Color Map" watercolors and do a mixing grid. I love how that grid looks. I watched a video on watercolor and did one of the exercises from it, actually a couple of them, then did this blobby sort of reefish thing instead of what the exercise was supposed to be although I did paint the leaf thing from the negative space. It's a colorful and very geometric page, full of ideas for things to paint.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

Last edited by arnoud3272 : 04-27-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Integrated image
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Page Three is the current page, the last thing I painted in it was yesterday when I did one of the images from the WDE. Because it was in the Goof Off Book, I let loose and did some weird things with a large brush in the background, layering large strokes over each other in various colors. The duck's head has some Daniel Smith iridescent watercolors in it as well as regular greens and blues and golds.

My original intent with this was to make the duck really pop out from the background, but a lot of people have commented that the duck seems camouflaged though they like him when they find him. I may have to work on taht background idea a bit more before I can use it in a serious painting.

I don't know what I'll do with the rest of the page, but I'll post it when I do it. Keep watching for more watercolor experiments or at least "mediums that work on watercolor paper" since this is the book where I might try weird combinations.

I might start adding text sometimes too other than penciled, though currently my notes seem to be going in pencil because that was handy. I might start using pen to make them a little more legible though.

Also, moderators, if there's some setting that needs to be changed to let the uploader work, I would really appreciate it so that I'm not just using attachments. You can't see attachments when posting a reply, but you can see images that were uploaded into posts when scrolling down from the text box in a regular reply.

It might be a little crazy, but I'm considering doing the cover last ... building up to it and then making the cover the last post. Or not. Depends on when I feel like doing it.

This is the Goof Off Book and it has no rules, none at all. Other than, hopefully, not to fall apart!

Last edited by arnoud3272 : 04-27-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Integrated image
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

What a cool book, Robert. I love doing color swatches in my journals too! I'm thinking of having a Color Swatch and Color Mixing Journal, where I can go to town with all my swatches and pigment numbers. It would be a real Geek journal! hahaha....

A Scavenger Hunt journal has crossed my mind too...And along those lines, a journal for the WDEs would be very cool for those who do them!

I really like your clean brushwork on the bamboo-like and palm-like foliage on that first page.

Gee, your duck doesn't look camoflaged to me at all! Funny how we don't all see things the same. Maybe it's our different monitors!

COVERS---OMG!!! I have such a hard time deciding what to do about covers and first pages. I often leave the first page blank and deal with it "later". Somehow I never get around to painting the cover, though I always mean to.

I love your idea of using the pastel primer and making a pastel journal. Hmmmm!

I can see your "goof-off book" is a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to future installments!

Jamie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Immortalized
California

Great start, Robert. The colors are so intense! Love the background of the duck.

On the attachment issue, it was odd that I couldn't see the images when I wasn't logged in. So I logged in to tell you I couldn't even click on the attachment name to view it. But when I logged in, it all works find. Just odd, I haven't experienced this before.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

I am subscribing to your journal thread, Robert. Now I'll find out whenever you post a new page. How cool to be able to know that!

Jamie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Robert, I LOVE your Goof-Off book. I have a lot of the same kinds of things on odd scraps of paper in a box right now. I think I may paste some of the misc. exercises and experiments together in a similar book of my own.

One of the things I like the most is how free and colorful we can be when we are just "goofing off." Can't wait to see more.

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:54 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

A nice start Robert .
Quote:
Also, moderators, if there's some setting that needs to be changed to let the uploader work, I would really appreciate it so that I'm not just using attachments.
If you upload and get an image returned but clicking on it does not insert it in the text, you can copy the picture url (shown under the picture) and insert it yourself between [IMG]...[/IMG} tags.
I find the easiest way to "copy the picture url" is to Right-click on the picture to get the "context menu", then choose "Copy Image Location". Followed by the obvious [img]Ctrl-V[/img] in the editor.

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Great start, Robert. Looks like fun.
Winston Churchill
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, thanks! I'll try to post often and add to it. Been thinking about the cover again this morning and figuring out what to do with the nice cover photo of a very modern windmill. I have an idea that is going to be hilarious... and at the same time get across the theme of "experiments" pretty well. Just not sure if gouache or markers would be best. Eh maybe both.

Arnoud, thank you for that tip too. That's driven me crazy and it's happened several times in the past couple of weeks to my complete confusion. The upload goes fine till I click on the picture and then it's as if I never did it. With my having memory problems in the first place, it leaves me wondering if I did it till I try it again and wind up directly in the right subfolder to my unhappy surprise. I'll have to try that next time it happens.

Attachments are annoying because they're harder to respond to, can't be quoted, all kinds of things. If there was some way to put the art into the text properly I'd do that. (Hint... hint... moderators can still edit those posts...)

And now let's try uploading...

Scavenger Hunt 174 #4: Curly or Curved
5" x 4 1/2" (without text)
Monochrome "Lunar Black" Daniel Smith watercolor
Strathmore Windpower 140lb cold press watercolor paper

Obviously from life. I've been trying to do him in a Chinese painting style for ages and this morning for some reason I can't fathom, it worked using a sample dot of Lunar Black watercolor and a handy waterbrush. I just fell into it and loosened up, didn't worry about doing loose areas, didn't try for as much detail as I would painting him realistically. Except that it is, it's just a different very economical kind of realism.

Of course it figures that as soon as I'm not doing it on a separate little stand alone piece of all-rag watercolor paper where I could pop it out and frame it, I don't get near-misses and awful blotches but exactly the kind of loose elegant painting I always admired in the Asian traditions. I wasn't even using the proper brushes or inks. Ah well. When I do, I'll be better at this!

Lower left corner of the Duck page.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 04-27-2010 at 09:46 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Robert, I love your "Goof Off Book" -- wonderful art notes and ideas. And the title is perfect for my type of "journaling" -- which isn't really journaling in the traditional sense, but playing around with whatever I have on hand.

Your colors are vivid and captivating.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Robert, what a great idea having a "Goof-off" book. May have to try that and loosen up.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Quote:
If there was some way to put the art into the text properly I'd do that. (Hint... hint... moderators can still edit those posts...)

OK, Robert, done .

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 02:56 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Robert; Love your "Goof-off" Journal! Your Watercolour sketches are great, so clear and vibrant. I'll look forward to seeing more from you on this Forum. I hope you are now beginning to feel better. It must be awful to be to sick so that you don't even feel like doing art! Look after yourself.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Geelong

Hails from Australia

Cool stuff Robert, I really like the idea of anything goes. There is a lot of freedom to relax and it shows. For the better! For myself I force myself to take it easy or it becomes a chore.

I love that duck...trying to do the Chinese style though...wow your braver than me!

Scott.