WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Using a Print On Demand site? Which do like best?
Zazzle 24 19.35%
RedBubble 7 5.65%
CafePress 6 4.84%
Other? (Tell us about it) 15 12.10%
I don't POD, but want to see the poll result. 72 58.06%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States
Re: POD POLL: Zazzle, RedBubble, CafePress or ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSpy
Sure, Nina. I disliked the cluttered look of a single store, so I split my merchandise into categories. Not sure if there are more stores to come, but sales increased (slightly, but climbing ) after I made the split.

I'm steadily, if slowly, increasing the inventory in each store. The stores are linked, for convenience, though I'm planning to switch from text links to image links:

http://www.zazzle.com/EyeSpy*
http://www.zazzle.com/art166cards*
http://www.zazzle.com/art166*

Thanks!
I like how you have linked your stores!

I now have 2 images that I have placed on many products.
Here is my store and you cannot see any of the images of products I created with my "owl" drawing.
http://www.zazzle.com/iamsurreal

I find Zazzle very time-consuming, as far as figuring out how to design stores. When time permits (if it ever does) I will try and create different stores for different products or designs.

I wish Zazzle was more intuitive.
I am used to Cafepress being an absolute breeze to work with.

Thanks again for your helpfulness.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States

I have had a change of heart and have decided to work on my Zazzle store(s).

I am working on it every day, in fact.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States

Which products sell best on Zazzle, please?

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 AM
South Carolina, USA

Hails from United States
Cool Re: POD POLL: Zazzle, RedBubble, CafePress or ???

Go to Zazzles front page... in right column a list of best sellers, etc. http://www.zazzle.com/, also at the bottom of the pages (any page) is a link to the forum... "Show & Tell" is a thread where people list their activities, hot sellers, etc.
I find Zazzle more intuitive than many sites, if you post a question in the forum folks are very helpful to explain things... friendly place.
If I didn't post link to my store before this is it:
http://www.zazzle.com/nateowens

Last edited by Nate : 05-03-2010 at 12:23 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 AM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Go to Zazzles front page... in right column a list of best sellers, etc. http://www.zazzle.com/, also at the bottom of the pages (any page) is a link to the forum... "Show & Tell" is a thread where people list their activities, hot sellers, etc.
I find Zazzle more intuitive than many sites, if you post a question in the forum folks are very helpful to explain things... friendly place.

Thank you very much, Nate.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2010, 05:10 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from France

I had a try on redbubble,I sold postcards..rather to others members..there are so many works there is few chance to sell to a visitor of the site..people there are very welcoming and helpful!the site is easy to use even for me!
I had no sale on fineart despite I have been more longer there...
clem
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Rural Iowa

Hails from United States

I like fineartamerica.com It is an easy site to figure out and I have actually sold some prints!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States

A few years ago, I bought some items from a CafePress store and was NOT impressed with the quality. After two washings, the artwork on the T-shirt I bought faded badly. The bumper stickers (red) faded to pink after 6 months and now are almost a peachy-white color after 3 years. You can barely read them anymore.

After seeing the color-fastness and low quality of their products, I'd never buy anything from CafePress again and wouldn't recommend any artist using them. Just my 2 cents- maybe they've gotten better in the past couple years-

Jen
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

One aspect which is worth considering is the traffic that each site gets.

When I developed my "resources for artists" information site which provides an overview and analysis of the various Print on Demand sites I included charts using the stats from compete.com. These show the number of unique visitors over the last 12 months - and this figure updates on a constinual basis

So, for example, at present the charts are showing May 09 to May 10 - and next month it will show June to June

In order of traffic these are the top three sites (as at May 2010):
  1. CafePress 4,149,532
  2. Zazzle 3,704,331
  3. RedBubble 504,362
Imagekind looks, relatively speaking, to be dead in the water with 193,862 visitors! Which means I should probably do something about eliminating my account with them!

If you want to see the trends - which can be very helpful for seeing who is doing better/worse over time - I suggest you check out the charts on my site which can be reached via the 'Resources for Artists' link in my signature (section on Selling and Shipping Art)

If you click on the charts on my site you see a much more detailed chart on the compete.com site
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T
When I developed my "resources for artists" information site which provides an overview and analysis of the various Print on Demand sites I included charts using the stats from compete.com.

The problem with services like compete.com, alexa.com and other traffic estimators is that they are highly inaccurate. I have been using alexa for several years and compete.com for the past couple of years and in my experience they do not provide reliable data. I have seen many times, with my own sites, that the data traffic estimators provide can be opposite of what the server logs are telling me. And that is the problem with traffic estimators, they (obviously) don't have access to any server logs so they estimate. I treat the data they provide as a very rough estimate that can be wrong.

By the way, higher traffic does not necessarily mean more sales. What matters most is traffic quality. Even if Imagekind's traffic really is lower than it used to be, it does not make it less valuable. There can be all kinds of reasons for traffic decrease that will not result in lower sales.

My Surreal Art and Abstract Art galleries | My Facebook

Last edited by eonworks : 06-28-2010 at 07:08 AM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

I love Imagekind and make occasional sales there. You need to drive your own traffic if you expect to sell anything.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast
Boyup Brook, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

I will be focusing my marketing on my zazzle shop
http://www.zazzle.com.au/mwrighton I will delete my cafepress store, but will keep my redbubble one as I seem to get traffic from that to my website, but % of sales in the short time I have been with zazzle outweighs sales on redbubble who I have been with pretty much since the beginning.

Having more than one shop is confusing for me so I imagine it is for potential customers as well. It will be interesting to see if sales improve with clearer marketing of a single POD shop.

Website/Blog
Facebook Page
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Zazzle seems to be a pretty good place for getting sales. Not sure why that is, could be that their marketplace is highly visible in search engines. I would definitely recommend setting up a zazzle shop to anyone interested in online PODs.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonworks
The problem with services like compete.com, alexa.com and other traffic estimators is that they are highly inaccurate. I have been using alexa for several years and compete.com for the past couple of years and in my experience they do not provide reliable data. I have seen many times, with my own sites, that the data traffic estimators provide can be opposite of what the server logs are telling me. And that is the problem with traffic estimators, they (obviously) don't have access to any server logs so they estimate. I treat the data they provide as a very rough estimate that can be wrong.

By the way, higher traffic does not necessarily mean more sales. What matters most is traffic quality. Even if Imagekind's traffic really is lower than it used to be, it does not make it less valuable. There can be all kinds of reasons for traffic decrease that will not result in lower sales.
I too treat the data they provide as a rought estimate but in my experience the trends they indicate are very often 'the real deal' in practice. First you see the traffic trending down over a significant period re 'x' site - and the next you hear that 'x' is no longer trading.

It's always worthwhile looking at the long term trend - which is why all the charts on my sites have rolling 12 month profiles. That's the minimum I'd advise looking at to give a sense of site health

Compete.com charts are also very good for giving you the quantum difference between sites eg is the traffic in million, hundreds of thousands of tens of thousands?. It doesn't have to be exact to give you a pretty good idea whether the marketing put out by a site is supported by the data.

We of course wouldn't have to rely on sites like compete.com if the websites themselves submitted to traffic validation in ways similar to the way they have to do for print adverrtising sales in the UK. Why should any of us have to estimate traffic - why isn't it open and transparent and validated for all to see?

One of the complications for traffic is when sites boost their traffic with member forums on the same domain name That then enables overall traffic to be boosted by all the internal traffic of people aiming to sell on the site. It's really not good practice but there again is not that uncommon. For me an indicator that a site is aiming to be open and honest in its representations as to popularity, external traffic etc. is that it has its forum on a separate domain name.

Last edited by Katherine T : 08-16-2010 at 09:47 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM

Hails from United States

Hi Nate,
Nice work. I am a big fan!

Does Zazzle allow you to retain your intellectual property rights 100%?
Could their be an issue with removing your artwork from the site?
Can you sell the same art in different places without conflict? How does it work?

Cheers!