WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada
In need of advice......

I am doing a painting for my mom for mothers day, and am in need of some advice. My mom races on a dragon boat team for breast cancer, and her best friend and race team member passed away last year. This ladies passion was dragonflies, and since her passing my mom sees dragonflies everywhere she goes. The painting is of the head of a Dragon boat with a dragonfly on it's nose (the size of the dragonfly has been slightly enlarged for emphasis). The background will be a lighter greyish fog with hints of lavender and the water will be quite dark. I also plan to have the beard of the dragon boats head flowing into the shape of the breast cancer ribbon (subtly) with shades of pink.

So the problem I am having is with regards to the position of the horizon. I am new to this stuff and was considering the rule of thirds for its positioning, but I am just not sure that I like it there. It will be a soft transition from fog to water, so maybe thats what is making me dislike the look of this now?

Any C&C would be very appreciated. I have spent way too much time just staring at this so far.

The painting will be acrylic on a 16x20 stretched canvas. (this pic is just the preliminary drawing to be transferred)

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands
Re: In need of advice......

What a nice gesture. Personally, I feel there is going to be too much blank space on the right. How about making the dragon bigger to fill in more of the canvas and painting the dragonfly to be more in proportion?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

I dont think I would go any higher with the horizon. If I were doing it, I would keep it there or just a hair lower. And the more I look at it the lines after adding color would be nice where you have it.

Brad Fowles
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 01:27 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Barranquitas, Puerto Rico

Hails from Puerto Rico

Lowering the horizon would work. You might consider moving the dragonfly away from the dragon at an angle towards the corner. That would balance it out more and more emphasis on the theme, the dragonfly.
Look forward to see this develope. TJ
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Immortalized
Belleville ,Ontario

Hails from Canada

Could you possible add another dragonfly a bit smaller in the distance to fill part of that big blank space?

Elinor
"keep your own time tickin"
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Immortalized
Belleville ,Ontario

Hails from Canada

Could you possible add another dragonfly a bit smaller in the distance to fill part of that big blank space?

Elinor
"keep your own time tickin"
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Think your idea is wonderful. I would move the horizon line as said down but just a touch. Trying to visualize what you are seeing in your head..lol but I'm thinking "is it" absolutely necessary to have the dragonfly "on" the boat head.

I'm seeing in my own head it "approaching", little angle change and taking up some of that space, being in a sense a bit more of a subtle focal point of it's own and not getting so tangled in the detail of the other and what you have yet to add as far as the ribbon like beard. Not way out but just coming in to land.

That way it could give you a somewhat better balance and the means to carry a viewers eye, they can create a connection in their own mind while you have created the suggestion of what's in yours.

Think this will be wonderful, and just my thoughts on it, can't wait to see it in progress.

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle1
I would move the horizon line as said down but just a touch. ...

I'm seeing in my own head it "approaching", little angle change and taking up some of that space, being in a sense a bit more of a subtle focal point of it's own and not getting so tangled in the detail of the other and what you have yet to add as far as the ribbon like beard. Not way out but just coming in to land.
Agree with both suggestions. This will be so cool!!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

Great idea so far. The other option is to raise the horizon way up, like more of a Winslow Homer style rough sea, symbolizing the battle with the disease. But if you put in a thick enough fog you can lose the horizon altogether.

☮✞AΩ☼ My Website
My WC Acrylics Virtual Gallery
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions! What a great resource this site is! I completely agree now with what has been mentioned with regards to the dragonfly's positioning. What I am going to do is move the dragonfly up into the right side of the canvas and turn it around as if it were leading the boat out into the waters. I think that it will be even more symbolic and compositionally balanced.

Thank you again! I'm really happy I took the time to pose this question. I don't think I would of been happy with how I originally had it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
NJ

Hails from United States

the dragonfly is positioned as in flight yet the rendering implies the wings are not moving.

Just an observation, it may not matter to your vision.