WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States
How do store and organize your pastels?

Hi all,

Now that I feel like I have a really good selection of pastel sticks from Mt Vision, Terry Ludwig, Rembrandt, Nupastel and a few other various sticks, I need to organize them. Right now they are all in the containers in which they came but that is not working for me. I seem to need to open every box looking for just the right greens, etc. So I would love to see/hear what you find best for you. I love the tray looking box that Deborah Secor uses. Don't know where to find it. What other suggestions do any of you have?
Thanks!
Dena
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada
Re: How do store and organize your pastels?

Hi Dena,
Dakota pastels has wonderful wooden boxes in various sizes that are great for both studio & travel check out their website www.dakotapastels.com... I wish I had bought one of those,I was in a rush and grabbed one of those aluminum Roz boxes just because it was available locally!Couldn't stand the individual pastel compartments & had to customize it and have run out of room already!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello.
sounds like you need a bigger space to assemble the OPEN boxes. first things first.
have you made a colour chart on paper (white, grey, black)?
if you have a 'colour eye', then it won't matter, but as tedious as it sounds, it'll help... start with one colour at a time - I do that on a day when I want to paint, but have no subject/inspiration... gets the ball rolling...
Ed
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada

Heres what "not to do"...LOL!! I really need to do some cleaning & putting back...I'm keeping the hard & softies separate for now,not sure whether or not most people keep them separate?? Box has Great Americans,Senneliers, Ludwigs,Unisons, Mt. Visions & Schmineke(snapped in half)in it, I've tried cleaning by shaking them in rice but that didn't work so well!! I agree that Deborah Secord's pastel box looks great (a lot more orderly than this)... not sure how you keep the sticks that clean?? any tips anyone?
Suzanne

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast

I use a medium Heilman box for my plein air painting, but also have that available for use in my studio. While sorting out pastels by color and value like Deborah Secor does (see Richard McKinley Pastel blog for extensive information on the "how") when I first got my Heilman, I grabbed a cookie sheet that had a small lip on it to hold some pastels. It sure would work for you in a pinch! It is nice and big and makes it easy to access your pastels in the studio. But for workshops and plein air, it would obviously not be a good choice. Of course, now I am down one cookie sheet in the kitchen ... oh well!

As far as keeping my pastels clean - every once in a while you just need to wipe them off individually, or use a tupperware container full of corn meal to place them in and gently shake them. I try to clean as I go if I notice quite a bit of transfer on a pastel I've just used and wipe it on a cloth before putting it back.

Lynn
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

I have 2 Dakota Universal Large boxes. One on each side of my easel. My pastels are sorted by color and value.

Quote:
As far as keeping my pastels clean - every once in a while you just need to wipe them off individually, or use a tupperware container full of corn meal to place them in and gently shake them.

Me too.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I did a "search this forum" using "organize" and "store" and found these examples of what people use and do:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...store+organize

and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hlight=palette

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States

Suzanne, Ed, Lynn and Paula,
thanks so much to all of you. some great ideas. I have looked at the Heilmann boxes but probably can't afford one right now. I think the Dakota boxes that you use, Paula, look like a possibility. And Lynn, in the meantime, I decided to get a couple cafeteria trays, line them with thin foam and use them for the interim. You all came through for me again!
Dena
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States

You guys are going to laugh at this. I'm standing at the bar in my kitchen with pastels spread over paper towels according to color. Then I plan to sort them by value and then put them on the trays. Well, I just got my set of the Terry Ludwig Maggie Price values this week. They feel so fragile and they are so beautiful that I can't bear to take them from their safe little cubbies in the box they came in. What do you think? Should I just go for it and combine them with all the others? Geez! The thought of something happening to them makes me cringe. I dropped a Mt Vision purple the other day and nearly fainted!
Dena
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by suruchi
You guys are going to laugh at this....Well, I just got my set of the Terry Ludwig Maggie Price values this week. They feel so fragile and they are so beautiful that I can't bear to take them from their safe little cubbies in the box they came in. What do you think?

Who's laughing? Here is my "setup".

Obviously, I don't mind keeping them in their safe, little cubbies. My Giraults are sort of sorted by color. Lately I've been buying Mt. Visions and keeping them in their "families". This way if I choose one and value isn't quite right, I know exactly where the next value is. My Sennelier box of 60 half sticks is pretty much as purchased.

I don't necessarily recommend this setup for others! Especially for those with thousands of sticks!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Seeing that we have the same tastes in pastels, I'll share how I do my arrangement. The big "box" I made myself with some wood scraps. It holds a full set of Mt Visions (broken in half), Ludwigs intense darks I and II, Ludwig portrait set is scattered in there as well. Then you can see Ludwigs Maggie Price basic value set in original box. I like that and can take with as a plein air setup if needed. Then in the far back is Ludwig essential greys. I keep them separated because I can never put greys back in the same place- when I need them I know right where they are at. Then, with the pencils are some art spectrum, which I really like too, as well as some various highlight colors from Shminke and sennelier. nupastels in far back, but I dont use them much.

So, to answer your original question, whatever works for you! But having the majority separated by color and value is a tremendous advantage.

And everything is set up on a sturdy white plactic topped folding table. Got it from Sams club and legs adjust so that the table top is same as standard counter top.... no bending over to reach for colors, which is nice.

Hope this helps!..... yikes!, after seeing the picture on computer screen, I see my pallette needs some straighting out! LOL

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK723
Who's laughing? Here is my "setup".

Obviously, I don't mind keeping them in their safe, little cubbies. My Giraults are sort of sorted by color. Lately I've been buying Mt. Visions and keeping them in their "families". This way if I choose one and value isn't quite right, I know exactly where the next value is. My Sennelier box of 60 half sticks is pretty much as purchased.

I don't necessarily recommend this setup for others! Especially for those with thousands of sticks!

Don

Shame on you Don!!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 10:02 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I know what you mean, Don! I still keep mine in their original boxes, but I broke and consolidated all 60 Art Spectrums so that I've now got two boxes each holding all the colors. I know if I got the Maggie Price Basic Values set that I'd probably keep that for a plein air box since it's so complete.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

Hi Dena,
I know how you feel about the TL Maggie price set. I received them as a Christmas present . I use them but they live in the original box and so far I have only broken a few. All other sets are broken and stored together .
DonnaA has a very good article on how to make a carrying box for pastels
from foamcore and I have made some trays and use them for everyday use.
HERE
Mary

Last edited by Mary Y : 04-24-2010 at 10:55 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Ford
Shame on you Don!!!

You'll notice that I don't take off the wrappers, either!!

Seriously, I have terrible color recognition. If I were to use a pastel and put it back into a tray sorted by color and value, it would take me many attempts to find it again. This way, when I know that I want Mt. Vision green #700, I can find it! I know my thunderstorm blue/grays are together in a box - series #540s. If I throw them in with all my other blues, I'll never find them!

I guess the secret is out - I'm just a paint by number guy!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery