WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Nampa, ID

Hails from United States
PanPastels on Velour paper?

Has anyone used Pan pastels on Velour paper? Does it work well as a underpainting? How do you apply the pan pastel onto the velour paper? I have the full set of pan pastels and am excited to try it, but I only have velour paper in my art room. Any help will be great.

Thanks
Ginger Lantz
www.artdabblers.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: PanPastels on Velour paper?

I say, go for it and try it! I haven't a clue how/if it'll work. Let us know the outcome!

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't tried it, but I think Robert will chime in here pretty soon, if memory serves me correctly he has tried that combo.

May find some info in the very informative, but huge file on this site about the PanPastels, Lots of stuff in there.

Pam
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Pans (and any really soft stick pastel too) falls off velour. And you do not get that fluid look, as the velour grabs pigments. Might work as an underpainting, never tried that.

Here's an article I wrote on how Pans perform on different types of papers. Page 5, so scroll down a bit. Velour is the first paper tested, marked "V".

These are all papers available in Europe, but most of them exist all over the world. The Fisher 400 paper is a sanded paper similar to Uart 400, and Wallis.

I just learned that the Clairfontaine PastelMat doesn't have cork in it (as previously said by Clairefontaine), instead it is cellulouse fibers.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Velour is a funny surface. It works great with medium soft pastels and sometimes hard ones, but it can be problematic with really soft ones sometimes. Pans are softer than anything else and the velour lets go of the powder too easily. So what I'd suggest is that you try your Pans in your sketchbook.

I am not kidding. If that's what you've got around, Pan Pastels actually take on sketchbook paper. You can't put as many layers as pastelmat or sanded papers, but I've gotten some really nice effects just sketching with Pans on white sketchbook paper. Or watercolor paper.

On plain white paper like that, Pans may start looking transparent and later layers take off previous layers. I started to work with that, loading my sponge more often and using reserved whites the way I would with watercolor. Then letting the load wear off doing deep dark areas and work into medium and light areas gradually as there was less on the sponge. It's a pretty economical painting method, doesn't use much of the Pans, covers a lot of area and has its own spectacular look.

Also, areas you've just laid in a thin light application of a darker color and then adding a full load of another color over it, that can be beautiful and modify the later color a little or a lot depending on the load. I'll use that technique of loading heavily only for the deepest darks and using midtones and lights by going in after it starts naturally lightening up for the first layers on almost all my Pans paintings, because it won't fill the tooth and will give a very strong tonal layer for the start of the painting. Then I know where everything is, can make changes easily with a kneaded eraser and keep going with more colors.

Paynes Grey is a good tonal color for that, but any of the Deep Dark Shades will work.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ozarks

Hails from United States

Hi,

I have tried pan pastel as an underpainting on velour without much luck. I didn't have any problems with it staying on the velour, but it is very blotchy & blending with the tools is out of the question. You can blend it with a hard pastel. I also had trouble getting additional layers to stick to the pan pastel, almost as if the pans had stuck the velour fibers together. This was just my experience (I only tried it once), you might have better luck.

Tanja

You may view my art at ~ www.tanjawareart.com
"Find out who you are and do it on purpose." - Dolly Parton
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Nampa, ID

Hails from United States

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I have been teaching myself pastels for the last few years and need all the help I can get. Since velour paper isn't cheap, and I use it for all my animal/wildlife pastel artwork, I think I will skip using velour and order some other paper like pastelmat, or Uart. Meanwhile I will try what Robert said and try the pan pastels in my sketchpad. Thanks again for all you help.
Ginger
www.artdabblers.com