WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Sennelier half pan watercolours

Hello everyone:
My first post… I was wondering if any forum members could offer some feedback on using Sennelier watercolours. I recently ordered a half pan set to take on an upcoming trip as I find this format much more convenient than tubes when travelling. I spent some time looking for reviews of this product, but didn’t find any satisfactory information. I have yet to receive the set….
Any comments would be appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Hails from Australia
Re: Sennelier half pan watercolours

I don't get caught up in which brand is better, but on the whole if Sennelier were good enough for Cezanne and Picasso, I imagine they should be more than fine for anyone around here.

Just a wild guess, but with any of the top companies, I have a nagging suspicion it might be the artists that are the limiting factor and not the materials.

I do love half pans for travelling though. Not that I have that brand, but if you dont like them, and want to get rid of them - I can PM you my address

I would just say...enjoy your new paints!

Scott.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 PM

They're fine. Here and there, you'll find a somewhat better color from Winsor & Newton, or Daniel Smith (which requires that you purchase a tube and fill your own pans [which they sell], but Sennelier is a good solid professional level brand of watercolours, and you should be fine.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States

I did a Google search on "sennelier half pan" and found this art blog http://bradleyclarkpleinair.blogspot.com/
by Bradley Clark, who shows some small plein air paintings he did with the Sennelier half pan palette. Scroll down to August 23 "Post Cards".

By the way, Winsor Newton sells their paint in half (and full) pans.

Last edited by Surfinia : 04-11-2010 at 07:59 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM

Many thanks for all the replies and reassurances. Apologies for the delay in responding. (I didn't receive an email notification.)

Surfinia, the link is great and gives me a good idea of the effects you can achieve with this watercolour paint. (These images also recall the incredible terrain you encounter in the Southwest, landscapes we have explored while on different road trips).
Incidentally, I have an older set of Winsor and Newton half-pans and as these colours have become depleted I've replaced them with some Daniel Smith watercolour paints that I had on hand, both brands behave beautifully, but I was also curious to try out something new. Thanks again everyone.
Scott, I will keep your offer in mind! I haven't yet received the set, but am looking forward to the day it arrives.

Last edited by aquarelliste : 04-13-2010 at 08:10 AM.