WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States
M. Graham Gouache

I have a specific question about M. Graham gouache. I know they use honey in their gouache formulation. I use their watercolor line and the honey in the watercolor formulation prevents the paint from drying rock hard on the palette like other brands, but the paint stays semi-moist on the palette, which is a joy.

Do the gouache paints also stay semi-moist, or do they dry up hard?

I am mainly work in watercolor these days, focusing on figure painting, but have a hard time with landscapes in watercolor. I bought some watersoluble oil paints to try landscape painting with, and while I was a bit more successful, I didn't particularly like working with the paints. Thinking gouache might be something to try since I enjoy watercolors.

Thanks.
Barbara
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Enthusiast
Spokane, Washington

Hails from United States
Re: M. Graham Gouache

I know from experience that Graham gouache will dry up hard. It, and I guess all of the others, from my reading, are best used fresh out of the tube. The dry can be reconstituted to some degree, but doesn't cover as well, though can be used for underlayers. This is what I have read elsewhere in this forum.

Dan

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

I use mostly the Graham white to mix up pan-like tints with watercolors (lots of brands, very few Grahams) and these mixes definitely stay easily rewettable over many weeks and months, even if hard. They certainly don't crack and chip off like the mixes I've made with other gouaches, and I choose Graham expressly for that reason. But then I live in rainy coastal Oregon, and like to use my gouaches semi-transparent, mostly…

dpc
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States

Thanks dpc! I was hoping that either they wouldn't dry out, or that as you say, can be rewetted easily.

I find M. Graham watercolors either firm up but stay sticky, or dry but are so easily wetted, I guess because of the honey. It seems to depend on the pigment- the Phthlos and Quinacridones stay sticky, while the inorganics like Ultramarine and Prussian blue do dry over time in the well of a palette.

I ordered a few tubes of M. Graham gouache last night so can't wait to get them! I also got one tube of Schminke (had a coupon at a local Dick Blick store) and got two tubes of Winsor Newton to compare.

Barbara
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

The information I find online indicates that M Graham treats their gouache mores seriously than most other brands. For instance, their earth tones seem to be the real thing, rather than mixes as in the other brands.

My question is: do they handle as nicely as, say, Winsor & Newton gouache? I generally like the ability of gouache to produce very fine lines etc.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2010, 02:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I've used M. Graham gouache for about two years now and I find you can achieve very fine lines with no problem. I have a few W&N gouache to compare and they seem to work in tandem very, very well. I have the entire line of M. Graham colors and the earth tones are wonderful--rich and pigmented.
Gouache Blog