WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2002, 12:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada
Jackie Simmonds Pastel Video

I just received the video I purchased from Jackie through eBay. "Pastel Workout--First Steps with Pastel". At first I thought, I'm not really a beginner anymore so I'm not sure if I'll learn very much. Oh boy, when my ego appears even for a second, I know I'm in trouble! It was so nice to "meet" Jackie, and to watch her work. She starts off teaching the basic techniques for applying pastels. The broken color technique was something I've seen her comment on, but now I really know what she was getting at. She takes you through some practice exercises, then on to a few finished paintings--an imaginary landscape and a still life, and a still life from a set up. I was intrigued by what she can create from her imagination. I was also impressed by how fast she can work using these techniques.

I'm not a shill for Jackie, so please excuse my enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to applying some of Jackie's expertise into my own paintings, and just thought I'd share my excitement with you. I'd recommend this video to any beginner in pastels. It's so much better than looking at pictures in a book.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States
I ordered that same video. I have a couple books but really wanted to SEE an artist at work. Thanks for posting your thoughts on it, can't wait to get it!

Alisa
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
How do you go about ordering this video?

Or Maverick maybe I can just borrow yours? Your only the next town over.

Just kidding.

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldnt say any other way---things I had no words for"
Georgia O'Keefe
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2002, 06:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada
She was selling them on eBay. There's only one on there right now, but it's not the one I have.
Pastel Workout--Capturing light and colour

Maybe she'll have more available once she gets back from her show. If I was thinking more clearly at the time, I would have purchased all the videos at once.

Borrow? Maybe when I'm done, I'll donate it to the library

Last edited by maverick : 09-19-2002 at 06:36 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2002, 02:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
Check out this thread in our Bargain Basement forum! Jackie offers both her book and videos for sale to members....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...threadid=59782

I have her book and thoroughly enjoy it!
carly
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Stanwood Washington

Hails from United States
Thumbs up just got mine today...

I am so happy with my videos. Jackie is a wonderful teacher... I have only had a chance to see one of them
"Pastel Workout" and I am so pleased with it I can't wait until I have free time to watch "Learn to paint flower in Pastel". They are well worth getting.

Birdie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Stanwood Washington

Hails from United States
Thumbs up see it done

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisa
I ordered that same video. I have a couple books but really wanted to SEE an artist at work. Thanks for posting your thoughts on it, can't wait to get it!

Alisa

See it done is some much nicer than reading about it......

Birdie
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2002, 10:32 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oooooooooooooooooooklahoma

Hails from Australia
Thanks for this Maverick. I am a beginner in Pastels so I think this will be a valuable addition to my info collection.

Colleen

Colleen Brown Fine Art
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2002, 01:44 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Hey Maverick - I KNOW you are not a "shill" for me, because I don't know what that means! It must be a US term, we don't use it over here in Blighty.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks so much for the review. You can represent me any day!! In fact, if the orders come pouring in as a result of your wonderful comments, you may find another video winging its way to you, as a thank-you gift.

Jackie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2002, 01:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Paducah, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Yup...I just got one from eBay too...it's the learn to paint light and colour pastels video. Can't wait to watch it...I'm sure....over and over and over again

Thanks Jackie!

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. (Stella Adler 1901 - 1992)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2002, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States
I can see why you posted this maverick! I finally got it...just watched it this morning and I'm So pleased:) For a beginner not having actually seen the process done, it really gave me a good overall sense of how to apply the different techniques, and how to approach an overall pastel painting from beginning to end. Jackie easily guides you through...never felt "lost" or had trouble understanding.

Feeling so much more confident here:)

Alisa