WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States
Re: Bob Ross style.....with Acrylics??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusPullo
so I'm curious why Bob Ross was considered gimmicky to you? Was it because he simplified painting and still managed to make amazing looking paintings??

He didn't "simplify painting" he used tricks to paint quickly. He did not paint anything real.
Richard Schmid makes a point that when you are painting something paint the shape, color and light you see, not the idea of it in your head. Don't paint what you think a tree looks like, paint the tree you see. Bob Ross painted his idea of trees and mountains, they all ending up looking the same.
Take a look at some of the fantastic work on this forum. People painting the great variety of nature they observe. Then look at Bob Ross again. Does any of his work look like a real place?

I will link to websites.

Last Year Mark Hanson did 90 paintings in 30 days. Quick small plein air pieces that are amazing.
http://mnpainter.fineartstudioonline...lections/19195

Kevin Mcphearson spent over a year painting the same view in every possible light and climate.
http://www.reflectionsonapond.com/
Some of these were done in less than 20 minutes, yet they have more life and veracity than anything Bob Ross did.

As I said Bob Ross style is very limiting and to progress you would need to unlearn much of what he teaches. He's fun to watch, but i would never call any of his work amazing.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2010, 01:37 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M.
He didn't "simplify painting" he used tricks to paint quickly. He did not paint anything real.
Richard Schmid makes a point that when you are painting something paint the shape, color and light you see, not the idea of it in your head. Don't paint what you think a tree looks like, paint the tree you see. Bob Ross painted his idea of trees and mountains, they all ending up looking the same.
Take a look at some of the fantastic work on this forum. People painting the great variety of nature they observe. Then look at Bob Ross again. Does any of his work look like a real place?

I will link to websites.

Last Year Mark Hanson did 90 paintings in 30 days. Quick small plein air pieces that are amazing.
http://mnpainter.fineartstudioonline...lections/19195

Kevin Mcphearson spent over a year painting the same view in every possible light and climate.
http://www.reflectionsonapond.com/
Some of these were done in less than 20 minutes, yet they have more life and veracity than anything Bob Ross did.

As I said Bob Ross style is very limiting and to progress you would need to unlearn much of what he teaches. He's fun to watch, but i would never call any of his work amazing.

Looked at both of those sites and can honestly say I don't think either of those guys paints anything near the caliber of what Ross painted. Just being honest but those paintings on those sites, TO ME, just don't do much for me.

I think painting what you see is great if that's what you're into but for me if I can see it, i'd rather take a photograph. Painting for me is much moe interesting to just create whats in my mind and truly be creative, not re-creative. That just seems redundant.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Hails from United States

http://www.bobross.com/art/how-to/autumn/Autumn.JPG

NOt sure how anyone can't love his work to be honest.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Maryland, USA

Just to toss in a few thoughts:

1) I'm not sure that one should "unlearn" Bob Ross's way of doing things vs. learning the proper painting techniques - values, composition, colors, etc. - and then applying Bob Ross's "wet on wet" techniques to paint what you wish to paint. By this, I mean that painting "wet on wet" does not lock you into painting mountains only one way, trees only one way, etc.

I think that the greatest strength of Bob Ross's method is that one can produce a painting quickly and most people can follow his instructions to do so; this builds confidence. The greatest weakness is that he never discussed the importance of painting from nature and rarely got into deeper technical issues: value planes, composition, perspective, etc.

2) Those two linked websites posted by Brad were really neat! If one wants to do something similar and paint the same location on many days in various seasons, one could go to anyone of many web-cams (such as those in our national parks) and download the image to use as a reference. You could quickly build a library of reference images that could be "a year in Yellowstone / The Smoky Mountains / etc."

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:

If that's the aesthetic you strive for, more power to you. We have vastly different taste.
I doubt i have anything I can teach you.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M.
If that's the aesthetic you strive for, more power to you. We have vastly different taste.
I doubt i have anything I can teach you.

ahh.....ok. You just don't care for Bob Ross!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Southern Utah

Hails from United States

Bob Ross is considered a formula painter. He has a formula for trees, for mountains, etc. Basically he just makes up a landscape using the tricks he has worked out. Thats fine if thats what you want to do, there is room in the world for all kinds of art. The average person could master painting like this in a short time, but if you set your sights higher it will open up a lifetime of study and appreciation of truly great art and artists. There are many, many artists on these forums that are far more accomplished than Ross (including Brad M). Then again there are those who just want a fun hobby and dont want to make a big commitment. Hey its all good!

When we are bursting with some wordless experience, Art is our voice,
the song of the heart. ---R. Schmid

Last edited by bwjnsn : 03-24-2010 at 06:08 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
ahh.....ok. You just don't care for Bob Ross!

What Brett said.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

It's quite funny on this side of the pond watching you all get worked up about someone who is barely known over here. That's one horrible painting though!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apodemus
It's quite funny on this side of the pond watching you all get worked up about someone who is barely known over here. That's one horrible painting though!

Bob Ross is hardly known over here? REally? Interesting.

Can you break down for us all whats wrong and horrible abut that painting? I really need to be educated on this!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Southern Utah

Hails from United States

Art is very subjective. I would not call the example of Bobs painting you gave the link to wrong or horrible, but to me it reminds me of a Disney movie background.
Personally I cant see in his paintings where he is coming from. There is nothing behind it. We have a rich history of landscape painting that we can go to, and we can build on that and perhaps even push beyond to something new. Not that you have to paint in some style that may be old and dated, but there should be a foundation to stand on.
Who were his influences? What styles did he admire and draw from? Maybe its my shortcoming, but I cant see it.
There is nothing wrong with enjoying it if that is what you like. Obviously he was very successful. But it doesnt do much for me.

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwjnsn
Art is very subjective. I would not call the example of Bobs painting you gave the link to wrong or horrible, but to me it reminds me of a Disney movie background.
Personally I cant see in his paintings where he is coming from. There is nothing behind it. We have a rich history of landscape painting that we can go to, and we can build on that and perhaps even push beyond to something new. Not that you have to paint in some style that may be old and dated, but there should be a foundation to stand on.
Who were his influences? What styles did he admire and draw from? Maybe its my shortcoming, but I cant see it.
There is nothing wrong with enjoying it if that is what you like. Obviously he was very successful. But it doesnt do much for me.

I see. So just to clarify, to be real and for it to be art, we have to in some way be influenced by or trying to in some way emulate someone before us? Im really trying to understand this because im new to painting!!

As for Bobs work I need to know what it is im supposed to be looking for to understand the painting. Like a landscape. To me its just if it looks nice, its good. Maybe thats wrong, or perhaps thats right?

Here's another
http://9freepictures.com/d/file/art-...ting-27-14.jpg
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Hello Titus,

Since I did not see any mention of it (or perhaps I missed it) - I will recommend also Water Miscible Oils (WMO). It is just like oil paint, stays open for a while, dries quicker, no turps and you can wash off your brushes with water.

Others probably have better advice on this. There is a forum on this medium too.

Enjoy!
Suk Ye
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Southern Utah

Hails from United States

[quote=TitusPullo]I see. So just to clarify, to be real and for it to be art, we have to in some way be influenced by or trying to in some way emulate someone before us? )

If you learn to paint like Bob Ross wont you be influenced by him? Wont you be emulating his style?

Last edited by bwjnsn : 03-25-2010 at 08:39 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Hails from United States

[quote=bwjnsn]
Quote:
I see. So just to clarify, to be real and for it to be art, we have to in some way be influenced by or trying to in some way emulate someone before us? )

Its all real and its all art, even paint by numbers, paintings of Elvis on black velour, or paintings by Rembrandt and Vermeer.

If you want to be influenced by and emulate Bob Ross, thats fine. It should not be too much of a challenge.

Sounds like I should be buying your DVDs! When do they come out?