WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany
Re: The Oil Stick Party - Join In!

Looking good so far, Lin!

You could mix other greens by layering different colours on top of the viridian, or mixing wet in wet on your support...

Sennelier doesn't make smaller sticks than the 38ml ones, only larger ones (which are insanely big, I saw them in a store!). I think W&N makes smaller ones... But I'm not sure because I believe their regular size is 50 ml, so even if they make a version smaller than that, it's hardly small by any other standards.

I bought 6 new sticks on Friday, Primary Yellow, French Vermillion, Madder Lake Pink, Manganese Violet, Viridian, and the colourless stick. So here's my palette now! I also tried mixing Viridian with yellow ochre for you, Lin... Maybe a good green for you could lie in that rough direction?

(As always, the colours are a bit off...)

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2010, 06:55 PM
A Local Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks Lyta

That Chromium Oxid Green would be really useful.

I guess it si rather adventurous doing a 'landscape' without any real greens in my palette, but it is a good learning experience.

I've found that by using Icory black stippled with the primary yellow works well. In fact I have barely used the Viridian at all. I used it on the lake in a few areas. Mainly I have been 'optically' mixing.
I'm applying the pigment using colour shapers. I take it off the stick and 'blob it on' Then another colour alongside. I also find the blues make artificial greens. Oddly enough I find using the purple and vermillion and burnt sienna make a good effect. using the dabbing technique I have been able to produce quite an impressionistic style.

Here is my progress so far. I haven't touched the figure or the grass in the front. I have dulled the
blueness of the sky,
reeds and hedgerow
shed and summer house
foliage and trees in foregorund and distance
reflections
a hill to the right which needs more work
I am changing the scene a little and instead of all the cluttered foliage on the right I want to give some distance by having receding hills. This is because as I work on the piece it feels rather claustrophobic.

This is a photograph.

Btw after sitting 3 days the surface from the previous work was touch dry and easy to work over.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 AM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Looking good, Lin. They do dry to the touch after several days, I find and are easy to work over.

Pat
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM
LAWSONVILLE, nc

Hails from United States

FWIW,
I pulled out my oil sticks last night. I've had them for 20+ years, and haven't used them for 8-10 years. The brands are Markal (Student grade) and Shiva (Artist grade). They have been kept in a plastic bag. The skin was no deeper than normal. The paint seemed a little dry, yet upon applying it to the canvas seemed just as "juicy" as ever.

HTH,
--Rich
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 AM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiJoRi
FWIW,
I pulled out my oil sticks last night. I've had them for 20+ years, and haven't used them for 8-10 years. The brands are Markal (Student grade) and Shiva (Artist grade). They have been kept in a plastic bag. The skin was no deeper than normal. The paint seemed a little dry, yet upon applying it to the canvas seemed just as "juicy" as ever.

HTH,
--Rich

How cool is that!

So are you plannign to give them a go and let us see what you can do ?
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM
A Local Legend

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: The Oil Stick Party - Join In!

I might cross post this in a separate thread now it is finished and this is just a 'party' and discussion thread but I finally finished my 'bathers' piece.

It is EXTREMELY difficult to do any form of landscape with no decent natural greens in your set. I only had viridian which I barely used except to darken in an underlayer. Most of the 'greens' are not really greens but yellows, black, blue even violets and yellows. I mixed them on the piece as I worked it using tools. I used a colour shaper. I also used a brush and some OMS for washes.
I also used a piece of paper as a palette putting some of the bar onto it and miing with another with a pallete knife.

I also used a palette knife in addition to a colour shaper.

In all the work was produced using Senellier Oil Bars, Colour shaper, palette knives, and a large brush.

Here is an ide of my working area:

Here is the finished piece:

'The Bather'
Prepared MDF panel,
Medium spun Cotton gesso coated,
2 additional coats of gesso applied.
30cm x40cm
Sennelier 38ml Oil Bars
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Very nice, Lin and often you get better greens by mixing them as these show. One nitpic. The small house reflection seems a little dark.

Pat
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2010, 04:55 PM
A Local Legend

I take your point Pat it does now it's been photographed and posted. It was there but I seemed to lose it so I went over it... I think it is one of those times when things should have been left alone.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

If a person seems sensitive to the fumes of oil paint, will they have any reaction using oil sticks? Opinions please? I assume hands will need to be cleaned with mineral spirits or similar. ??
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2010, 03:21 AM
A Local Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States

You ought not to clean your hands with any kind of solvent. Soap and water is fine (I use baby wipes to get most of it off, and then wash very well with soap and warm water to make sure all paint is gone), gloves are very useful.

Oil sticks contain the same type of oil as many oil paints, so if you are sensitive to oil paint and curious about the sticks, I would get one stick to try as a test for your sensitivity.

~!Carey

"...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Michigan

Hails from United States

Presenting the latest work in progress --

These past few weeks have been SOOO BUSY! Anyway, I'm working another 12 x 16 Oil Stick painting on Colourfix board. I'm using pictures that I took at Ludington State Park this fall as reference photos. I am experienting with Phtalo Blue. It is a passionate color. Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think - Happy Holidays!!

http://lalflen.wordpress.com/
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 AM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Nice start, Linda and phtalo blue is a permeating color. I'd make sure the foreground tree reflections are muted a little.

Pat
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Michigan

Hails from United States

Thanks Pat, you are absolutely correct and I will do that!

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Maaaaaaaaan, I still have to find out what it's like to paint with oil sticks. You guys are posting up some amazing work!
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Michigan

Hails from United States

I had a chance to work on my Oil Stick painting this morning and here is the result.

I lightened up the water and put the cloud in the reflection. It's a bit rough. Still have some work to do, but it is coming along.

Any comments are welcome!!