WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which pochade box do you think is the best?
Alla Prima Pochade 43 33.33%
Guerilla Painter Pochade 30 23.26%
Open Box M 29 22.48%
Versa EasyL Easel 27 20.93%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 AM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States
Re: Which pochade box do you think is the best?

Right now i sit on the ground[on a plastic bag if it is wet] or rock or stump-and paint with the panel on my lap-using an apron or cloth to keep from getting too painted myself. The biggest pain is having to carry out the painted panel- i just put my palette in a plastic bag, along with paints and brushes in my back pack. A pochade box might be a good thing, but what i really need is something to carry out the panel/canvas that i've painted-i'd like something that could hold different sizes-up to 11x14"[maybe]- it would only have to hold one, though.
has anyone made/bought something like that? If it fitted in my backpack that would be best! Thanks!
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

I watched a Scott Burdick video and he likes these, they appear to be lightweight for a backpack, I want to get some myself because I plan on doing the same.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

i did check these out and they look good-can handle multiple sizes, are lightweight and not expensive. Many thanks!
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 PM

Just came across the Guerilla French Resistance pochade box and am very intrigued. Would be using for pastel painting, so I need to get a few questions answered regarding storage within the box. I see pastel trays offered separately and would like to get an idea as to how many the box will hold. Any thoughts?
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM

I've made 4 wet panel carriers, they're pretty easy. I don't know about the pre-made versions, kinda spendy. I'll take some pictures and post them up. My main one has 3 16x20 slots, 1 slot for my palette. I don't always paint that big, but I have a bunch of foam core cut to size for a backing, and tape whatever size surface I'm using onto that.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Kent

Hails from United Kingdom

I am going to Venice shortly and weight is at a premium as always. I am thinking of robbing the friction hinges from one of my alla prima boxes and refitting them to my OBM just to get rid of all the metal hardware stays and bits that stick out of the OBM so that it fits in the bag without ruining the panel carrier, which it has done before. On the other hand the the Bitterroot Light does carry a couple of panels in the lid........... decisions, decisions

I have just made a nice panel carrier from Correx which is 10" x 16" oa which carries every size from 6x8 through 10x6, 10x8, 8x12, 10x12, 10x14 and 10x16. It carries five slots and is still slimmer than the commercially available ones by using 4mm square dowel timber dividers rather than plastic mouldings.

Decision made! Funny how writing helps to focus ones thoughts! The Yellowstone will be left at home. Too big and heavy for this particular trip. The OBM will be left at home as I don't really want to plagiarise any bits from Ben's excellent products so the Bitterroot will go and I will be very happy with that choice!
Michael Richardson's oils and watercolours and Michael's Blog and painting holidays
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast
North Vancouver, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

Michael, this probably doesn't help you now, but you could order a pair of your hinges here for your OBM:

http://www.southco.com/class/e6-cons...nges-7510.html
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
East Kent

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronm
Michael, this probably doesn't help you now, but you could order a pair of your hinges here for your OBM:

Thank you Cameron! I will order some because the worst thing about OBM is all the sharp angular hardware and screws that clutter the outside so I haven't been using it for the last year because the AP boxes don't wreck the inside of my bags!
Michael Richardson's oils and watercolours and Michael's Blog and painting holidays
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks, I have often wondered if that arm sticking out on OBM boxes was a problem because it always looks wicked when I see pics of it. I see that type of arm on a lot of homemade boxes also, it will be one design that I will surely avoid.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

You're welcome, Michael. I'm glad to help.
That exposed hardware seems to be an oft-repeted complaint that I hear about the OBM boxes. I must say that I do appreciate being able to stuff my AP box into a bag without it snagging.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

Yeah, that OBM-type hardware seems to be the only type readily available. Really well-made boxes with top-notch materials, but I hate the screw this, then this, then that aspect of it all. Tiresome.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Lancaster, PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronm

Where can you buy those? I used a torsion hinge on my first homemade box and it became "loose" - like there was a little play in it and the lid would wiggle - and there's no way to tighten it. The one I used was around $30 I think and I wouldn't do that again. And it was huge. I think it was made for toy box lids or something.
My Facebook Fan Page
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

I would contact the company to see if they sell directly or if they can tell of a retailer local to you that has them in stock or is able to order from them. Failing that, give Ben a call at Alla Prima and ask if he can sell you a pair.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB
Where can you buy those? I used a torsion hinge on my first homemade box and it became "loose" - like there was a little play in it and the lid would wiggle - and there's no way to tighten it. The one I used was around $30 I think and I wouldn't do that again. And it was huge. I think it was made for toy box lids or something.
This thread about All Prima Box hinges has information with links.
Someone says they use the ones sold by McMaster Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#door-hinges/=aea2vx

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 12-26-2011 at 07:31 AM.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2011, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Lancaster, PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
This thread about All Prima Box hinges has information with links.
Someone says they use the ones sold by McMaster Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#door-hinges/=aea2vx
Thank you. After seeing this thread I may replace the lid stay hardware on my homemade pochades with these. My first try with the friction hinge was a disaster.
My Facebook Fan Page