WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which pochade box do you think is the best?
Alla Prima Pochade 44 33.59%
Guerilla Painter Pochade 30 22.90%
Open Box M 30 22.90%
Versa EasyL Easel 27 20.61%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Which pochade box do you think is the best?

I might be just as excited as you are, Rinthe, and I haven't even decided what to order. I read this tonight thinking tomorrow I would order an easy L, or the guerilla pochade, and now I am thinking Alla primas and Open M's. I have been using the Cheap Joe's Signature Filed easel. It is nice as it has four yes FOUR tripod type legs attached to it and 3 slide out trays BUt it isn't for tall people (I am 5'8) and nothing can be stored inside. I have used it for oil and w/c both but I have this bee in my bonnet to get a little honey of a box thta I can use on my lap sometimes...I sure hope you post your thoughts later when your new baby arrives....
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2011, 02:51 AM

hahah i know that feeling well! four legs? wow, i've never seen that. I own a julian french easel as well, but find it a little too bulky and hassle to take out and setup, plus it's on the heavy side. As for the pochade boxes, I don't think you have to worry about the height because it'll go as high as the tripod does, which should be pretty high. plus you can still raise the canvas higher.

I have to wait 7-8 weeks for the alla prima because there are 20 people ahead of me!! 7-8 WEEKS, IT'S KILLING ME!

I will definitely report back after i use it a couple times!

Last edited by Rinthe : 04-02-2011 at 03:11 AM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 AM
ZH

Hails from Germany
Red face Re: Which pochade box do you think is the best?

[quote=b123]Hi,
I know your frustration!I've been trying for years to find a decent pochade and have never found one to meet all my needs. I've tried and tested about a dozen pochades and lightweight easels and summarized the pros and cons of each pochade box here.

For your information I own an OpenboxM (fantastic customer support, I can't say enough about how good their customers service is) and an Alla Prima box (beautifully crafted - a sheer joy to look at, and the best craftsmanship I've seen in a pochade), and an EasyL. I now use a custom Billups box (see picture below).

Barry John Raybould

Your joking about the "OpenboxM customer service" right? as there is not any...they are very nice on the phone but thats it! I have waithed once 9 months with no replies on my mail,
and suddenly it arrived and no sign either that they send it. The could do some work there I think.

I bought 3 great pochade boxes from them in different sizes.
and I think only the 6 x 8 slim is realy a bad design, as it is top heavy ( the lid with the painting), you can't hold it long in your hands and it stays not well on your lap either.

The messing parts sticks out and scratch tables as I found out from a restaurant owner, after sitting on a terras in London while painting the scene...
he was very polite and said to be carefull
when I was home for my own tables with a smile..I felt like a little boy.

It would be nice if OpenboxM was open for suggestions, I think they are the closest to the perfect design.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

I have a dozen 9"x 12" Guerrilla boxes I ordered a few years back, just so folks that travel to workshops I put on in my neck of the woods might use if they prefer not hauling theirs along. I'm traveling for a workshop in Alaska in June, having just sent a supply of paint up there. Looking myself actually in a new box or easel...considering I'd have to pay shipping as is here from home, might put that money in a new box.

I like the Guerrillas for the price, and they are sturdy. Was and am looking at the "French Resistance" pochade of theirs...again, sturdy if they are anything like the Guerrillas....but also that price of $149...which is enticing...

Still...I'm half inclined for $120...buying the Beauport Large Format Easel from Jerry's Artarama...which is the cheaper version of the Gloucester and Andersen...and just ship one of my Guerrillas on up ahead...thoughts on that???

Here is a picture of Marc Hanson using his Beauport, from his blog-
http://marchanson.blogspot.com/2009/...-paintbox.html

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 05-01-2011 at 10:41 AM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thought I'd post a link to a youtube video showing how the Beauport sets up and can be adjusted...for the curious,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVmrccN0nD4
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

well...based on some feedback I got from friends online...I might buy this Beauport for use more locally, and my treks painting along Lake Superior...

I guess the issue is...while pochades paint conveniently small...it is nice every so often to paint a tad larger. Especially workshops if I'm demonstrating some key things. I may just invest instead in a new airline bag with wheels and handle, and pack my El Greco halfbox French easel in it...or my Guerrilla box. We shall see.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Bristol ,Maine

Hails from United States

Hi Larry, if you do decide on the Beauport I did a blog post a while back on fixing it to work right. the great news is they fixed most of the issues. I just recently got myself into one of the "Take It Easel" easels which is the domestic handmade version made of american maple... It is a Cadillac!! Compared to the import. The price is a little steep but if it busts they will fix it. Best of luck!

If you do go with the Beauport or Take it Easel and are looking for a nice paint box to put on top, send me an email and I will get you in touch with a guy in New Hampshire that makes some of the sweetest ones.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Immortalized
Burkesville, KY

Hails from United States

I've used the Beauport for a while now. Saving for the Take it Easel.

Dan, I made my own box really fast and cheap, but wouldn't mind looking at the one your talking about. Think I could get that link? Oh, by the way, I gave Stape the old pirate "arrrgggg!" from you back in December. He laughed pretty hard.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepainter03
Hi Larry, if you do decide on the Beauport I did a blog post a while back on fixing it to work right. the great news is they fixed most of the issues. I just recently got myself into one of the "Take It Easel" easels which is the domestic handmade version made of american maple... It is a Cadillac!! Compared to the import. The price is a little steep but if it busts they will fix it. Best of luck!

If you do go with the Beauport or Take it Easel and are looking for a nice paint box to put on top, send me an email and I will get you in touch with a guy in New Hampshire that makes some of the sweetest ones.

Hey Dan...I actually posted on my blog yesterday about my thinking of the Beauport...and posted a link to Anthony's blog as well as yours on the fixes...so, nice to see your post here this morning.

I'm thinking...I might just invested in a good case for packing up my El Greco Trident halfbox...or my Guerrilla Box and tripod..

I could check this on as an additional luggage. Pack foam around my gear. We'll see...

At any rate...if I bought something like this, then I have it for future trips as well.

I always order my paint and ship it to a host of my workshops...so, I'd have no paint to worry about. In fact, my paints are already on their way now...

I definitely want this style of easel for painting around here, and along the windy gusty shores of Lake Superior. I'll give more consideration to the Easy L...from what you are saying, preferred. If you wouldn't mind...I'd appreciate the link to your recommendation for a palette. I'd like to take a look at it...

thanks..

Larry
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Bristol ,Maine

Hails from United States

Hi Bill and Larry, on the link for the palette box there really isn't one. I would post his email here but it's his personal email and I don't have control on erasing it from here so I can send you both some picture of mine via email if your interested. I just don't have your email Larry. Maybe a PM? The price for the box is approx $250-350. Mine is made of Spanish Teak and smells like a large cigar humidor. I always say that with the smell of linseed oil could be a cologne... Or should be!

I'm not sure Larry if you might be confusing the "Take IT Easel" with an EasyL pochade box..?. Not sure. The Take it Easel is just like the Beauport in looks but works like a dream. you can also get snow/sand shoes for the Take it Easel, a gun sling shoulder strap and it now comes with the "Tobin Hole" which is an extra hole for the canvas holding rod on the top of the back leg. It's great. A lot of people mail the Take it easel to their destination or check it in luggage in a rifle case/tube.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Immortalized
Burkesville, KY

Hails from United States

Hi Dan. I'd like to see a pic of the box if you get the chance. I think you've got my email.

Thanks,
Bill
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Bristol ,Maine

Hails from United States

Ok, I emailed them to you And please pass on to Larry if you can.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepainter03
Hi Bill and Larry, on the link for the palette box there really isn't one. I would post his email here but it's his personal email and I don't have control on erasing it from here so I can send you both some picture of mine via email if your interested. I just don't have your email Larry. Maybe a PM? The price for the box is approx $250-350. Mine is made of Spanish Teak and smells like a large cigar humidor. I always say that with the smell of linseed oil could be a cologne... Or should be!

Okay..will do..

Quote:
I'm not sure Larry if you might be confusing the "Take IT Easel" with an EasyL pochade box..?. Not sure. The Take it Easel is just like the Beauport in looks but works like a dream.

YEAH...that's what I gathered...sounds good...

Larry
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Hails from Canada

Just ordered today;

Hi all I just ordered this Pochade box and easel today. I'll post web address if you want to check it out.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/ma...ox-and-tripod/

Barkar
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Bolton, NW-UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I like ALL pochade boxes but have to admit to questioning whether some of them have drifted away from the original idea of a small, portable paintbox for outdoor colour sketching and grown into small French Easels almost. I have about 5 myself, including the wonderfully compact 8x6" Jullian and the beautifully crafted 10x12" Open Box M.

MY POCHADE BOXES HERE