WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which pochade box do you think is the best?
Alla Prima Pochade 40 32.26%
Guerilla Painter Pochade 29 23.39%
Open Box M 28 22.58%
Versa EasyL Easel 27 21.77%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Re: Which pochade box do you think is the best?

Hello everyone,
I know this is getting repetitive, but I wanted to add my praise for the Alla Prima Pochade. Like all the other Alla Prima Pochade owners who have chimed in, I find mine indispensable. They are just ingenious creations, and Ben Haggett is a pleasure to work with if you want to have one built to your specs.
As for the comment from someone who had seen a couple of painters have panels slip off their A.P. Pochades, I'm really quite surprised. I hate to say this, but it might have been operator error. I've used three different versions of Alla Prima Pochades and I have NEVER had a panel slip.
Oh, and as for the perception that they are particularly pricey, you get what you pay for, and I think these and the Open Box Ms are comparably priced, provided you compare the Alla Prima Pochade to an Open Box M that comes with wet-panel storage, as do the Alla Prima Pochades. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Mark
p.s. The truth of the matter is that the best pochade is the one that let's you get out and paint, and doesn't get in the way. Plein air is hard enough without distractions!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepainter03
. . . every time I see someone painting with one their panels are constantly falling off into their palette.. just my observation
I have had the Alla Prima Blackfoot for about two and a half years (or so) and have never ever had a panel fall off (or out of the) the spring-loaded panel holder. This has never been a problem with my Alla Prima. In my experience.

Jan
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Bristol ,Maine

Hails from United States

This panel falling thing is something that has happened to me when useing my EasyL which locks in place.. If you paint softly with very fluid paint you probably will never notice a problem.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States

NEW GUERRILLA "FRENCH RESISTANCE" POCHADE PENDING:

Perusing JerrysArtarama web this morn for GP products, I came across the following "French Resistance" box. Because it doesn't appear on the Judson web-page, I called them. GP rep sez info should soon be available, but didn't have a better description today. Judging from the picture, it may have a fold-out palette which slides in a lid slot or something like it. (The pic does not appear on this posting, so go to www.jerrysartarama.com and bring it up). Knowing the quality of their products, I'm interesting in taking a closer look. The 10x13" size with the ability to hold/carry larger boards is attractive, along with sturdy appearance.

Guerrilla Painter French Resistance Pochade

This easel gives you the freedom and flexibility of a French Easel without all of the hassle.
SAVE 26% OFF LIST Save $50.00 off List

10x13" Guerrilla Painter French Resistance Pochade SIZE ITEM # LIST JERRY'S STATUS QTY
Guerrilla Painter French Resistance Pochade 10×13" V03237 $189.99 $139.99 OUT OF STOCK
(till 05/05/2010)
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Sarasota Florida

Hails from United States

I am a new member of this site and have also wondered about the best pochade box....I agree will all that say that it depends on what you do and that you may need more than one model....unfortunately, I can only afford (barely) one, so I want to really think things through before buying.

I too have been somewhat interested in the new model shown on Jerry's Arterama website called French Resistance model....I like the fact that it seems to support various panel sizes, seems well constructed....my concern is that I don't know where you would place your pallette? instead there seem to be compartments for various sundries which would be useless to me. Any comments?

I also discovered an interesting product at something called Easyeasels, look it up, I apparenty cannot give you the URL, it seems very well constructed and the owner of the site is very willing to answer questions. My concern there is how the panel/canvas is kept in position while painting. There is a screw that locks it in. You are also limited to a fixed size panel tied in to the size of the box....I like to sometimes paint in various sizes....

I am totally confused about the pros and cons and would appreciate any help from those of you who are so knowledgeable.
Thanks in advance.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

If you want your box to last, make sure that it is constructed of hardwood--softwood won't take a beating long-term. It is the design, hardware and labor that are the most costly elements with the difference in wood price being the least of the factors.

I know of no way to be able to tell what will be the best model for you unless you have painted plein air for a while as it is very difficult to know what you will prefer until you find out what habits and preferences develop, and as a correllary (sp?) to that--what it is about your current set-up that drives you nuts. I went through this same mental process not too long ago, myself.

Most pochades will hold a variety of sizes, keeping in mind that most plein air work is relatively small as light changes fast ond you can only cover so much territory in a session. How much stuff and weight do you want to schlep? Do you want your box to hold everything or do you prefer to have separate "packages" with your palette and panel holder minimal (my preference)? A lot of folks recommend Ben Hagget's boxes and I almost chose one myself, but to me, prefering minimal, they seem bulkier than is MY preference. I went with Open Box M palette and panel holder in a small size. I now wish I had gotten the next size or two up as I think I could have been more minimal if I had done so and it would take less set-up time without having to deal with side panels and screws, etc. to get my desired surface area.... So...others may weigh in on some more considerations that might be of use to you. (I think that many PA painters are still in search of that 'perfect' box which has all the qualities that make the way they work easier and doesn't yet exist in any of the current models available on the market--the endless search.... )
Vicki
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast
BC

Hails from Canada

I have a Yelowstone Alla Prima Pochade box. I love it. Everything else looks complicated when compared to its great design.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Lancaster, PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARIS45
I am totally confused about the pros and cons and would appreciate any help from those of you who are so knowledgeable.
Thanks in advance.
I've been plein air painting for less than a year. I have several different setups and keep trying new ones. If you're just starting out my advice would be to start with a cheap french easel.
My Facebook Fan Page
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARIS45
I am a new member of this site and have also wondered about the best pochade box....
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I know your frustration!I've been trying for years to find a decent pochade and have never found one to meet all my needs. I've tried and tested about a dozen pochades and lightweight easels and summarized the pros and cons of each pochade box here.

For your information I own an OpenboxM (fantastic customer support, I can't say enough about how good their customers service is) and an Alla Prima box (beautifully crafted - a sheer joy to look at, and the best craftsmanship I've seen in a pochade), and an EasyL. I now use a custom Billups box (see picture below).

However both of these suffer from these fundamental design flaws:

OpenBox M disadvantages
  1. Its palette is half the size of the Billups pochade palette (which is a folding palette). Only a folding palette will give you a large paint mixing area. The add on palette they supply is difficult to use for mixing paint because it is not possible to drag paint from the main palette to the add on palette - it is not one continuous surface.
  2. There is insufficient height above palette to hold a day's worth of paint in the palette. I do not carry paint tubes to save on weight, and so need to store the paint on the palette.
Alla Prima box disadvantages
  1. Again, half the palette size of the Billups box. Only a folding palette will give you a large mixing surface in a pochade.
  2. Only holds two thin panels (compared to the Billups box 10 thin panels or 5 thick panels).
  3. The box for holding your paints is a waste of weight. Providing a wooden box to put your paints in just increases the weight of the pochade unnecessarily. It is much better to squeeze out a lot of extra paint, store your paint on the palette, and put the palette under water at the end of the day to stop the paint drying out before your next day's painting session. For this reason you must have a plastic palette (wood will rot under water). As an alternative, you can also put the palette in your freezer if you have one available. This will also stop the oil paint from drying. If you have to carry paint tubes, put them in a canvas bag, not a wooden box. It is much lighter.
EasyL box disadvantages
  1. Again, half the palette size of the Billups box. Only a folding palette will give you a large mixing surface in a pochade.
  2. Only holds two thin panels (compared to the Billups box 10 thin panels or 5 thick panels).
Actually the pochade I now use the most is not included in this poll. Perhaps someone can modify the poll to include it?

Below is a photograph of my setup and some information about the pros and cons of this particular box. I had this particular pochade custom made to make it more usable.

P.S. I've posted a few more tips on painting plein air on this Wetcanvas thread (just scroll to the end of the thread).

best regards,
Barry John Raybould

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States

I've always been very fond of my Guerrilla boxes and have used them for years, I have the 6x8 and the 9x12. Both serve me very well and are made like iron.
Love,
Linda
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast
New England/Caribbean

Hails from United States

I've come to this late but am also looking for (yet anohter) small pochade. I have the guerilla box which is great particularly if you want to sit and paint and keep it on your lap but I need something smaller to trael with. I have been using my Easyl streamline landscape pochade for about a year and a half and have not been very happy with it. This specific box was designed to be lightweight so there are no panel carriers or side extensions. It has a big palette area but my main problem in the the way the panel is held in place while painting. There are two wooden slats with grooves where the panel holder is supposed to slide up and down based on the size of your panel. THe problem is that this little holder gets stuck in these grooves -- I have had to take a rock and pound it down sometimes. If I loosen the back plates of the holder the screws inevitably fall into my piles of paint. It has really been a drag and I've finally had it. So, I was looking at the small Open Box M but now I'm concerned about the issues with the smaller size. Could those of you who've used the small Open Box M explain a little further? Thanks
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Seattle

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by edencompton
I've come to this late but am also looking for (yet anohter) small pochade. I have the guerilla box which is great particularly if you want to sit and paint and keep it on your lap but I need something smaller to trael with. I have been using my Easyl streamline landscape pochade for about a year and a half and have not been very happy with it. This specific box was designed to be lightweight so there are no panel carriers or side extensions. It has a big palette area but my main problem in the the way the panel is held in place while painting. There are two wooden slats with grooves where the panel holder is supposed to slide up and down based on the size of your panel. THe problem is that this little holder gets stuck in these grooves -- I have had to take a rock and pound it down sometimes. If I loosen the back plates of the holder the screws inevitably fall into my piles of paint. It has really been a drag and I've finally had it. So, I was looking at the small Open Box M but now I'm concerned about the issues with the smaller size. Could those of you who've used the small Open Box M explain a little further? Thanks

Hi Eden - You should take a look at the Alla Prima Pochade boxes made by Ben Haggett. He makes two "lite" models that are basically palette boxes with a built-in wet panel carrier that holds 2 panels. They also include 2 side trays that clip to the side of the palette box. The Bitterroot model is 10x12 and the Yellowstone is 11x14. I've been using the Bitterroot for a couple years, after selling my EasyL that I used for only half a dozen outings. The Bitterroot has been great. The panel holder is very simple, useing magnets and a spring. It never sticks so you can save the weight of carrying a hammer to knock it into place. Very smart design, easy as can be to set up and about as light as you can get with a pochade box. You can leave wet paint on the palette for transport if you want. Brushes store in the lid formed by the side trays. I always carry my paints, etc. in a separate plastic box. Take a look at the video demos Ben made for how to set them up. http://allaprimapochade.com/pages/products.html Good luck!

- Al

blog: www.outsideinfluences.com
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast
New England/Caribbean

Hails from United States

Thanks Al! That Bitteroot Lite version looks like a good candidate -- I'll let you know which one I go with!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2010, 05:50 PM

How complicated is it to set up the Open M? I like that this is a very lightweight easel and also that the 11 x 14 can take a 20" height canvas if I wish to use it that way sometimes.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM

well i just ordered a bitterroot from ben. I'M SO EXCITED!!