WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which pochade box do you think is the best?
Alla Prima Pochade 44 33.59%
Guerilla Painter Pochade 30 22.90%
Open Box M 30 22.90%
Versa EasyL Easel 27 20.61%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Which pochade box do you think is the best?

Hi Cindy,

I have the wonderful Bitteroot. As I'm rolling my stuff with me in a shopping cart (you know, those white things with two wheels?) The weight was not a problem. I find I have plenty of mixing space, storage room, and most important, the wet panel carrier is included in the genius design; the magnet system is amazing, and if I need a smaller/lighter pochade, it will certainly be a AllaPrima.

I would not use it in my car, although i think it may work well on the passenger seat, because I paint in oils, and don't want to ruin my seats... I'm very messy painter! I really do not want to have to think about being careful with my brushes...

Have fun!

Shadia
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Unless you have many, or all, or the pochade boxes listed, how could you possibly know which one is best?

For example, I could say that the Open Box M is the best, but what if I didn't own the others; how would I compare?

It seems that one would have to have the means to purchase x-number of pochade boxes to reach a conclusion as to which one best served their needs.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 AM
South Devon coast

Hails from United Kingdom

I can only comment on my one. It is the Alla Prima Bitteroot. I don't suppose I will ever need for another box. I get everything in a shoulder bag and I use it indoors too. You certainly won't be disappointed if you owned one of these.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Indianapolis, Indiana

Hails from United States

If you need sun clips have Ben Haggett make a lite version with the full four panel lid. It only ads about 1/2" to the box and then you can carry up to four panels and use the clips.

I have the Yellowstone Lite....with custom made lid/panel holder.

www.carlwendt.com
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Hails from United States

Carl,

Does the four panel lid make the Yellowstone Lite a bit top heavy on your tripod?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cindy
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Indianapolis, Indiana

Hails from United States

Well I don't notice it if it does. My tripod is quite substantial, a Bogen, so it handles it just fine. The box is 3 3/8" thick with the side trays on top, without the side trays on top it is 2/ 3/4" thick. So pretty thin either way. I do not believe it would work well as a laptop type box even though I have not tried it. >>>> while typing this I put it on my lap to see if it would stay. It does, but would need to secure the front down somehow.....but think it can be done. Hmmmm. Have to give it a try someday. You will want the sun clips! I use them at least 50% of the time. It really helps with glare on a sunny day or glare period! Take care!

www.carlwendt.com
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Hails from United States

Carl,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and provide me with such detailed, useful information. I really appreciate it.

I'm now thinking about adding the sun clips to my 6 X 8 Belly River.

Take care & have fun painting!

Cindy

Last edited by CLS Portrait Artist : 03-02-2010 at 11:59 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Bristol ,Maine

Hails from United States

HI, I think its interesting that (until I voted) the EasyL was tied for last place... I dont think any of these are really that good for various reasons but the Easyl is the only one that seems to actually hold the panel firmly. Mbox would be second to me and the other two tied for last.. I have owned all but the Alla prima (requires small car loan) but every time I see someone painting with one their panels are constantly falling off into their palette.. just my observation.. All are better then nothing for sure..!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2010, 11:17 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepainter03
HI, I think its interesting that (until I voted) the EasyL was tied for last place... I dont think any of these are really that good for various reasons but the Easyl is the only one that seems to actually hold the panel firmly. Mbox would be second to me and the other two tied for last.. I have owned all but the Alla prima (requires small car loan) but every time I see someone painting with one their panels are constantly falling off into their palette.. just my observation.. All are better then nothing for sure..!

Hi Dan,

Interesting. How many of the people you've seen using an Alla Prima Pochade have had their panels fall off into their palette? Was it a problem with the magnets?

Also, have you seen many Open Box M's in use? I've read where they are wobbly and that the hardware tears up backpacks.

Thanks for your post.

Cindy

P. S. I'm planning a trip to Maine this summer. Can you recommend some of the best coastal painting sites?

Last edited by CLS Portrait Artist : 03-07-2010 at 11:20 AM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Bristol ,Maine

Hails from United States

HI, ok truth be told it was 2 different people one was one time and the other was about three times... I thinking it has something to do with the bottom pieces that the panel rests on (If im wrong sorry to all Alla prima people) it seems like you would have to be using a sharp edged panel like a Raymar or Sourcetek to have a chance. A wrapped panel like a Utrecht, WN or Fredrix with a rounded edge looks like it would give trouble. I cant imagine a stretched canvas would work out too good either? what do you think?

Yeah I still have a M Box that I like because its Very sturdy on the tripod, I mean rock solid. I think the old ones that had one stabilizer arm and no bottom spine would be pretty wobbly.(thats my only real complaint about the EasyL, a little wobbly) The M Box Hardware that is on the bottom is a bit annoying if you are going to stuff in a backpack, I can see where some sort of backpack ripping issue could arrise after a season or two.

As for Maine this summer, I can tell you a few must see spots and if you let me know when your on your way I can show you my favorite harbor, if you want. TTyL Dan
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Israel

Hails from Israel

Quote:
Hi
I use Alla Prima's Blackfoot model and never had any problem with
"falling panels on my paletta".
(I use Multimedia and Gatorfoam Panels made by New Traditionsart Panels.)
ly
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Hails from United States

[/quote] As for Maine this summer, I can tell you a few must see spots and if you let me know when your on your way I can show you my favorite harbor, if you want. TTyL Dan[/quote]

Dan,

I'll send you a message a couple of weeks before the trip.

Thanks a lot,

Cindy
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
As for Maine this summer, I can tell you a few must see spots and if you let me know when your on your way I can show you my favorite harbor, if you want. TTyL Dan

Dan,

I'll send you a message a couple of weeks before the trip.

Thanks a lot,

Cindy
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Adirondack Mts, NY

Hails from United States

It is indeed an individual choice depending on how you work, but I adore my Bitterroot - I use it inside the house and out doors - it is just so practical! And - no, I've never had a canvas ever even come close to falling off. The supports, top and bottom are also beveled back so the painting is pretty much pinned to the easel. I've had mine for a couple of years and find it very sturdy as well.

Anyway - I Love it and can't say enough great about it. I'm going to see about getting another one to have set aside - heaven forbid anything happen to Mr. Hagget. Hope this is helpful.
Eliza
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

I am completely in love with my Belly River box from Alla Prima pochade. Never had any problems with it.