WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which pochade box do you think is the best?
Alla Prima Pochade 40 32.26%
Guerilla Painter Pochade 29 23.39%
Open Box M 28 22.58%
Versa EasyL Easel 27 21.77%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 PM

Hails from United States
Which pochade box do you think is the best?

In your opinion, which pochade box do you think is the best?

Founder of www.artmatch4u.com

Last edited by CLS Portrait Artist : 02-16-2010 at 12:49 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 PM
AYRSHIRE SCOTLAND

Hails from Scotland
Re: Which pochade box do you think is the best?

My choice would be alla prima .
But there is no BEST whats good for one person might not be so good for another we all have different tastes so its all about personal prefferance
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

homemade.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Israel

Hails from Israel

Hi
Alla Prima !
ly
Attached Images

Last edited by ly : 02-18-2010 at 08:05 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

It all depends on what you need it to do. Do you paint large? Do you only paint 6x8"? Do you have to hike two miles into your painting locations? No one box would ever do it for me; my needs are just too diverse depending on conditions, painting location, medium, size I want to paint, whether I will sit or stand, whether I plan to carry paints and supplies separately or need to store it all in the box.....

Jamie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Lancaster, PA

Hails from United States

I don't own any of those so I'd have to agree with sidbledsoe and say homemade. Some of those boxes look nicer than most of the furniture in my house so I'd have a hard time dragging them out into the wilderness, exposing them to weather, and covering them with paint.
My Facebook Fan Page
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi!
I agree that one would need more than one box; for the moment I find my Allaprima to be exquisite, I got it last June and suddenly my PAs were much better...!!! lolol
As I'm a "urban parks" painter for the moment, I'm satisfied with the one I have (the Bitteroot). I feel comfortable and everything is well placed. I just love it! Well worth the investment. As for getting it dirty... it's made for outdoors! I added a wood palette (fits on the box), which I simply put in the wet painting comp. when I go back home. Then I do not use the bottom of the box as a palette. I prefer it, and it's cleaner that way!

Shadia
Longing for the warm weather to come back..
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM

Hails from United States

I purchased the 6 X 8 Belly River from Alla Prima Pochade last summer and it exceeded my expectations. When I purchased it I figured if I really liked it, I would buy a larger box from Ben. I'm considering the 10 X 12 Bitterroot Lite. Do you own the Bitterroot or the Lite version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadia
Hi!

As I'm a "urban parks" painter for the moment, I'm satisfied with the one I have (the Bitteroot). I feel comfortable and everything is well placed. I just love it!

Shadia
Longing for the warm weather to come back..

Last edited by CLS Portrait Artist : 02-19-2010 at 01:35 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Seattle

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS Portrait Artist
I purchased the 6 X 8 Belly River from Alla Prima Pochade last summer and it exceeded my expectations. When I purchased it I figured if I really liked it, I would buy a larger box from Ben. I'm considering the 10 X 12 Bitterroot Lite. Do you own the Bitterroot or the Lite version?

Hi Cindy - Sorry for butting in on your question to Shadia but I did exactly what you are planning to do. I bought a Belly River a couple years ago and really like it for small works and for travel. I had an EasyL, which I sold on Ebay to get the Bitterroot Lite. I love it. Super easy and fast to set up. I carry my paints separately in a plastic ArtBin box anyway, so I don't need the drawers - or the extra weight. The only downside to the "lite" version is that you can't use the "sun clips" with it. I've used them many times on the Belly River and they are really handy. But that is just a minor issue. The box is rugged and light and the outrigger trays are great. I've taken it on several hikes of 3 to 6 miles and it carries well. It's survived a couple of blowdowns - one into some lava rocks on a beach - with no more damage than a small chip out of one corner. I'll try to upload a photo later.

- Al

blog: www.outsideinfluences.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Hails from United States

Hi Al,

Does the Bitterroot Lite work well as a laptop pochade or do you think the Bitterroot full box would be better?

Thanks for replying to my post.

Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skaar
I had an EasyL, which I sold on Ebay to get the Bitterroot Lite. I love it. Super easy and fast to set up. I carry my paints separately in a plastic ArtBin box anyway, so I don't need the drawers - or the extra weight. The only downside to the "lite" version is that you can't use the "sun clips" with it.

- Al

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Seattle

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS Portrait Artist
Hi Al,

Does the Bitterroot Lite work well as a laptop pochade or do you think the Bitterroot full box would be better?

Thanks for replying to my post.

Cindy

I've never tried it as a laptop box. I'll give it a go after work and let you know. I don't know about the Bitterroot full box. Haven't had the chance to try one.

- Al

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
I've never tried it as a laptop box. I'll give it a go after work and let you know. I don't know about the Bitterroot full box. Haven't had the chance to try one.

- Al

Thanks, Al.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Hails from United States

Looking through American Artist Workshop magazine sure makes me want an Open Box M. Practically every photo has one in it. Haven't any of these artists heard of Alla Prima Pochade?

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Seattle

Hails from United States

Quote:

- Al

Hi Cindy - the Bitterroot Lite is a too top-heavy to balance on your lap without using one hand to hold it - however I discovered that, if you unclip one side of the included shoulder strap and loop it under your thighs and re-clip it, it is very stable and would work great as a lap top pochade. But if you get a sudden urge to dash across the street for a cup of coffee you'd better remember that you've tied your legs together under your easel! I'm glad you posted this question because I never would have thought of trying it otherwise. I plan to try this method on small panels where sitting on a bench would be a little more anonymous than standing. Here are some photos of my Bitterroot Lite set up, and my pack. Hope this helps!

- Al

Name:  BitterrootLite-Setup.jpg
Views: 4492
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  PA-Gear.jpg
Views: 4379
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  Packed.jpg
Views: 4271
Size:  117.0 KB

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Hi Cindy - the Bitterroot Lite is a too top-heavy to balance on your lap without using one hand to hold it - however I discovered that, if you unclip one side of the included shoulder strap and loop it under your thighs and re-clip it, it is very stable and would work great as a lap top pochade.

- Al

Attachment 473007

Attachment 473008

Attachment 473009

Hi Al,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

I guess no pochade out there will do everything you want. You've got to have 2 or 3 of them to cover all the bases.

I took a peek at some of your paintings on your website. Wow - you are a great artist.

Take care and keep up the good work,

Cindy

Last edited by CLS Portrait Artist : 02-21-2010 at 11:40 AM.