WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Photo Equipment and Software
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Hails from United States
My printer won't take photo paper

I really intended to make my first post in this forum with a question a bit more sophisticated than this, but the annoying and mundane WILL get in the way of things -- I have an HP 1315 all in one scanner, printer, copier, and every time I go to print on glossy photo paper, the paper goes in and curls around maybe two to three inches, and then I get the error message. It has worked before, but not every time, sometimes it printed half the photo and then spat out the paper, but I have gotten some -- now, nothing. Waste a lot of money I can't afford to waste. There's a button on the machine itself for photo paper, and it's pressed, the photo software asks if you're using glossy photo paper, and I say yep, and each time, it just dies there with that blinking "E!" I'm being snowed in today and without a clue as to who is going to dig me out, so getting deep into projects that don't involve scrubbing toilets will be the saving of me -- anyone have any ideas what I can try? Bond and card paper work fine. Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

Re: My printer won't take photo paper

I have an HP Photoprinter and if I have problems I reboot, then if the printer still gives you problems, take it back to where ever you bought it and get it exchanged, some HP's can be lemons.
Life is short, back AWAY from the computer, get off yer butt and go PAINT!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 AM
A Local Legend

You mean some printers actually print photo paper without problems?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Hails from United States
Wink Re: My printer won't take photo paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinasia
You mean some printers actually print photo paper without problems?

Hi maryinasia, I look at photo printers as I do people and life in general -- I certainly expect them to cause me all sorts of problems, but I also expect them to work once in a while and do what they're supposed to do. I don't think that kind of civility is too much to expect, even from a photoprinter!

adventureartist, thank you, I've had it too long to take it back, but within my circumstances, it was very good to hear that the problem lies, not within me, but within the printer! I appreciate your help. I take it I should get a Canon next time? I'm new, so I have threads to explore, you could really lose yourself in the threads hear at WC, and I'm praying that happens!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

You too?!!

I have a relatively new Epson combination scanner/printer etc. I was hoping to be able to print on heavy watercolour papers, but apparently that is not going to be possible due to the 'bulk'.

Now my problem is that it shuts off when trying to print on a transparency, citing a 'paper jam' (which is not the case). I came to the conclusion that it is likely because those are just too thin, so have been using a very thin tape at the very top of the sheet to attach them to cardstock. This helps in most cases, but not all. I don't know if this would be a help to you or not...have my doubts, but thought I'd suggest.

Best of luck!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

You too?!!

I have a relatively new Epson combination scanner/printer etc. I was hoping to be able to print on heavy watercolour papers, but apparently that is not going to be possible due to the 'bulk'.

Now my problem is that it shuts off when trying to print on a transparency, citing a 'paper jam' (which is not the case). I came to the conclusion that it is likely because those are just too thin, so have been using a very thin tape at the very top of the sheet to attach them to cardstock. This helps in most cases, but not all. I don't know if this would be a help to you or not...have my doubts, but thought I'd suggest.

Best of luck!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Hails from United States

Hi Karen, yep, I tried water color paper a while back and no luck, but photo paper is supposed to work -- I tried your idea, I had picked up some double sided tape at a dollar store that is pretty useless, so I used it to temporarily attach a piece of bond, then card paper, to the back of the photo paper. Only time it didn't jam, it completely took the card paper right off the back and printed on that!

But I think I have this HP thing figured out now. I had an HP before this, just a printer, and for some reason, every now and then, the printer would rev up and then spit out a piece of paper with a tiny black heart in the upper left hand corner. Whatever, you know? Then one day, I surfed into Discovery Channel or something and they were doing a report on a haunted ghost town, and they were in the haunted hotel's manager's office, and she said that one of the old prostitutes haunted her there, that one night, her printer just spat out this page, and there was a small black heart in the upper left hand corner!!!

HPs are probably possessed. Now I've got 19th century hookers interfering with my work! Thanks for your help, and better luck with the Epson.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBULENTINDIGO

But I think I have this HP thing figured out now. I had an HP before this, just a printer.....HPs are probably possessed. Now I've got 19th century hookers interfering with my work! Thanks for your help, and better luck with the Epson.

LOL...My last (and first!) printer was an HP which my daughter won as a job-related bonus in 1998. She gave it to me even before we had a computer. It still worked very well, although if there were any glitches, i.e. a paper jam, it would go into very weird and lengthy spasms. Likely would still work except that it was so antiquated there were no longer any updates for the drivers.

I bought the Epson because of the oft-touted archival qualities of their inks. I think now HP is likely just about as good, but I sure do miss it.

Good luck to both of us. If only I had more patience!....sigh...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Hails from United States

Patience isn't my strong suit either, but Daumier said, "Patience is the virtue of asses," and really, who are we to disagree!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

And now this place won't let me post a smile without accompanying words. Sooooo........
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom

I have come upon this thread a little late but here goes for what it's worth.
When I want to print a picture I go into "Pictures" & select the picture which then appears in Windows Photo Gallery (Vista).
On the header bar I click on "Print" which brings up another screen showing a print preview & what printer is being used. On the header bar it shows me what quality of printing I have selected & what type of paper. I can then change these of course if I wish on this page.
I then just press print & touch wood, I have had very few problems with printing
By the way my printer is a ordinary Epson Stylus D88. which I have had for a couple of years.
Hope this helps.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 PM

Hails from United States

And my reply and thanks are REALLY late, sorry, I just saw this. I have XP, but I always make sure the paper type is correct, I even have to set it on the printer itself as well as the software. I think the problem is this printer, maybe HPs in general. This was a wonky set up from jump, first time in my life I ever wore out a keyboard, half the letters wore off the keys, and a couple of the keys got holes in them, so I guess the printer is just following suit!