WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 AM

how to paint ash blonde/brown hair please help

I am trying to paint a picture for a friend. But I am having trouble with her hair. Can anyone tell me what colors to mix to come up with her ash blonde hair.

Actually if anyone has a color chart for hair they can share I would really appreciate it, I did a google search for one but I kept getting hair color charts for hair dye.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 AM

Re: how to paint ash blonde/brown hair please help

Here is what I have so far but her hair is too blonde, I am stumped with what to try next to get the darker blond look.
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 AM
WC! Guide
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hails from United States

I think what you have done thus far is pretty good. You should consider this your underpainting. You can add layers of thin glazes to continue to darken the portions of hair. In some cases, you can leave what you have alone. They are already just fine as the highlight color. From this point, build up the middle ground colors. After these are done, go in and add the final darker glazes and detail. I think you will find that this multiple layer effect will give you great depth. As far as the colors to use, I would think that using raw and burnt umber, sepia, etc. combined with some blues to deepen the browns, would get you where you want to go. Just my thoughts. I'm sure that there are some portrait artists out there to help as well.

Tom
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Prescott, AZ

Hails from United States

This ia a fabulous start nasagirl! Thisis a good underpainting for the highlights in the hair, from here just start developing the darker values with a violet (complementary of yellow) and various dark browns like sepia, burnt umber etc...
I am curious to know what other great advice you get here...
Can't wait to see the final!

Website . Blog . Facebook Page
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Springfield, Ohio

Hails from United States

You have a very lovely beginning here!!

Sristi, your work is so gorgeous!
And I in no way would offend you as to your advice, but...........
Personally, myself, I would not use purple till the very end of this painting. Brown madder is a luscious reddish brown. Use of purple will mix with yellow and grey down your otherwise golden look you have already established. Purple and this particular yellow (if my monitor reads this correctly) are complimentary and will grey when mixed. Another gorgeous "reddish" brown mix is purple and orange. I love it actually. Try all of your suggestions on scrap paper before going to the hair. I, too, am curious as to all the answers you get here!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Redondo Beach

Hails from United States

The girl in the pic is back-lit, that makes determining her hair color tricky! If you look closely you can see the color of the sky in the lower part of the hair and on her skin.
If that's your only reference pic, I would try to paint her in exactly the same light situation, (or at least close to it) otherwise it might not come out right in the end. Maybe ask yourself what does her hair color look like in this particular situation, instead of asking what colors to mix for her ash blond hair. Just my two cents...good luck