WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art > Current Projects in the Classical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 AM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Dabbling in Printing #1 Monotypes

Name:  chase woman.JPG
Views: 907
Size:  42.9 KB
William Merritt Chase

This month we are starting a new series called DABBLING IN PRINTING, a sort of workshop for beginning printmakers.Our opening dabble will be MONOTYPES.

I am quite new at this myself, but I'll start us off. I have two wonderful books "Monotype" by Julia Ayres and "The Complete Printmaker" by John Ross, Claire Romano and Tim Ross. I also have a book gelatin plate printing, but I've never tried it. All I could imagine was jello running down the table. These books are all in the library.

Here is a daunting list of materials from "The Complete Printmaker":

Name:  materials 11.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  16.2 KB

Name:  materials 12.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  11.8 KB

Name:  mono materiials 2.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  35.2 KB

Hope you can read the list...it weems to have come in different sizes.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 AM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Re: Dabbling in Printing #1 Monotypes

Working from a Dark Field.

Cover a plate with medium and then manipulate or remove paint to create an image.

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzvGg...x=0&playnext=1

Name:  degas mono.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  78.3 KB
Edgar Degas

Here are two articles on HOW TO and a little history:

http://www.monoprints.com/history/brief.html

http://www.monoprints.com/info/monoprints.html

I love monos...You can do almost anything with them. I had a youTube demo of a watercolor done on a plate and then paper was soaked and blotted and then hand rubbed, but I couldn't find it again.

I have a cheapo student press that makes everything go sideways, but I may give it a try.

Please give working from a dark field a try, or paint a picture and then print it..or just go wild. It seems you can use almost any medium. I have some of the awful water based Speed Ball inks which I guess I'll use to experiment.

If you have any questions post them here and I'll try to get them answered and if there are any experienced printmakers out there...we could use help with some of the other techniques, and advice on inks and papers.

I'll be back in a couple of days with more info...Janet
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

This is a wonderful intro for us Janet. Gets the ball rolling. I like the list of surfaces to use...never thought of trying sealed cardboard but sounds good. And I am so impressed with the black & white works you showed. I'd really love to give it a try.

I suppose we can start with something fairly simple and experiment and advance!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:43 AM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

I found the youtube demo that I mentioned before. I liked this one a lot, as it seemed to be the kind of set up we probably have.

Monoprinting with water color: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-c8zLx_9uI

I'm not sure about the paper used...I wish she would have mentioned it. I took a class years ago in mono and we used Rives BFK. Paper that can be soaked? I'll try one this weekend with paper I have around here and let you know what happens. .
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM
north carolina

I'm gonna try this soon. I noticed in the list of supplies cardboard coated with acrylic or gesso. I have alot of cardboard I've saved from cereal boxes.
May fool around with that some.
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

I haven't gotten very far due to a small bout with the gout (much agony, til I took a little green pill)

I beveled the edges and sanded the surfaces of two small plexiglass panels. I want to try some wipe aways and then a watercolor, as in the demo. In this one you are supposed to cover your plexiglass surface with deluted dish detergeant ...hmmm, we will see. I'm just going to use the stuff I have around here, some old watercolor paper that I think I can soak and anything else that will make a print. I'll experiment and show the messes as well as, hopefully, something that works.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 AM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Hope you're feeling better Janet. I hope to explore monotypes soon. Still trying to get an expressionist painting finished at the moment.

PS. I saw a demo on youtube where the guy doing monotypes used an old pc scanner as his 'printing press'...what a neat idea. I like it...especially since I have an old scanner and I might try that.

The glass screen acted as his paint/ink surface, he put his printing paper on that, then closed the scanner lid and pressed down. Opened lid and voila...

Obviously, it was a non-working, non plugged-in scanner he used!! Thought I'd better say that as water and electric would not be a good idea!!

Last edited by artbyjune : 02-10-2010 at 07:04 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Here's my first BABY STEP with monoprinting.

I used a glass plate and interactive acrylics. I used brushes to apply the paint and then dry cartridge paper for the print. The resulting textures are interesting. I like the boldness of the approach.

But lots went 'wrong'...the brush seemed to delete the paint (I'll need to take that into consideration next time). Also, this is a rather babyish image. And perhaps I should have soaked the paper first.

Anyway, at least its a start.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM
north carolina

Janet - I have those speedball block printing inks too. They were horrid on the lino prints. Ouch, but you just gout ta get betta..........

Nice go June.....it is a tough medium to get used to after all the immediate spontaniety of brushes, eh!

I did some today. they are drying. I did brush the plexiglass with detergent ( but it was not diluted) - did that when monotyping with tube watercolors. I soaked 3 pieces of plain ole cardstock - spraying between and toping with saran and a book. Then came the fun. I will post them tommorrow with a play by play.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Boy...you guys are really making a start. I'm hoping to have a day tomorrow all alone, with foot propped up, working on some prints.

That is interesting about the scanner/printer...See, we don't need a lot of fancy devises...we can use book weights scanners or just walk on top of a print.

I like your print Robin. It's very cheerful and I like the roughness of it. Good start! I've been trying to find out more about the dish detergeant. No one seems to explain how they actually use it. It probably helps to lift watercolors.

I think monotypes are a great way to use almost anything, to make a print.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
north carolina

Haven't posted my mono's yet Janet cause they are still wet.

The dish detergent yes - it helps lift the paint. I paint a not too thick layer on the plastic and let it dry before spreading the paint on.

I got a question about the cardboard with gesso . Is that prepared surface to put the paint on and print from of or is it to print on to from the plastic...(uggh - I can't remember what you call the plastic like glass but plastic) . ?????
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Hi, T & All.

We printmakers welcome you (if I can speak for my fellow printmakers). I have just a few quick notes then I have to go for the moment.
  • The type of inks or paints you use is very important to your transfer of the image. Best types depend upon the technique. Most printmakers like oil based inks for most things except gelatin printmaking where oils get more viscous and don't work as well.
  • The type of paper you use is also important. Without a press, thinner flatter (less textured) papers work better.
  • You can and should try overprinting - that is the beauty of printmaking, you can layer and add depth.
  • The examples you showed were a subtractive method - the plate was covered and then areas wiped off.

• You can use things other than a brush for applying paint. Brayers, sticks, rubber sculpting tools, fingers all work too.
  • You can also try using paint sticks. I found that some colors transfer better than others though, all is not equal!
  • If using water based paints/inks a drying retarder is useful as is an undercoat of a release agent.
  • Gelatin monoprints are very easy for transfer of ink as little pressure is needed. The gelatin is double thickness and lasts about 3 days if you keep it refridgerated when not using it.

Enjoy experimenting, this is a wonderful idea.

Last edited by H2O_Baby : 02-11-2010 at 10:52 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Thanks H20 Baby for the support and info. Gelatin prints always seemed a little scarey to me but here's a demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZgBk...om=PL&index=12

There is also more on gelatin plates and printing from lgcreate in youtube.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Gelatin is very easy.

You just mix twice the amount of unflavored gelatin in water.

you can gel it in a baking pan but then you have to use paper smaller than the pan.

if you want to use bigger paper or to shape the gelatin you can use regular modeling clay (the kind kids use that never dries) and shape a dam for the gelatin. This works well on plexiglass. Be sure to test it with water and seal any holes. Remove the clay after the gelatin gels. Keep the gelatin stuck to the plexi so that it doesn't move or stick to your paper.

Then you roll or paint ink onto it.
You can put ink on then place an object down to make an impression (don't have to press, water will pool just like with watercolors).
You can use stencils.
you can cut grooves into the gelatin to make "white" areas with no ink. This does hasten the demise of the gelatin though.

Speedball inexpensive water based inks work the best of those I have tried, but you can try other inks or paints too.

You have to work fast if your ink or paint dries quickly (as with speedball). It helps to use a retarder to slow drying time.

Place paper on top and use the palm of your hand to press.
Dry paper meant for silk screen printing works well but you do have to work fast. Thin Japanese papers also work well. I have used flat not textured watercolor cardstock to make cards too.

You can reuse the gelatin over and over for days, just put in the fridge after using. You will know when enough is enough, it dries out in the fridge.

You can print over and over on the same piece of paper even with water based inks.

You can make borders for the gelatin by using a brayer or brush with a dark color and going around the edge.

The following is not the best piece of artwork, but demonstrates a few techniques. I have rolled a background and the border with brayers, and made impressions with various items. The gelatin plate is made with a clay dam, and you can see that the shape is left imperfect (you can cut if you want clean edges, or just don't roll ink to the edge).

Last edited by H2O_Baby : 02-11-2010 at 09:33 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 AM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

You are a sweetheart H20...Thanks so much for all the info.