WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:09 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

The Spotlight - February 2010

Hi everyone! And welcome to the first installment of...The Spotlight! My name is Don, and I am your host for this month!

If you missed the announcement/invitation thread, here’s a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!

The Spotlight is the new monthly activity thread appearing in the Soft Pastel Talk forum, replacing The Pastel Strokes. Its format will be quite similar to the Strokes, in that it is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere. And no critiques unless specifically asked for. The intent, as it was in the Pastel Strokes, is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos are all taken by me and you have my permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos, similar to the photos in the Reference image library, still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you can not copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within "The Spotlight" thread.

Ok, the official introduction is complete!

The Spotlight this month is on....choosing a layout – vertical, horizontal or square!

I’m sure most of you have had this question arise when doing a painting; or when taking photos – would it look better with a vertical or horizontal layout? Sometimes it is hard to decide. Here, for example are a couple photos I took in a nearby park.

As I stood in front of the scene, I couldn’t decide! So I took a photo in both layouts! Choosing your layout is often the first decision you will make when approaching that blank paper or board. That is the subject that we will explore this month in ...”The Spotlight!”

Using the following photos, let’s experiment with vertical and horizontal layouts and see which you prefer (and why!). Or perhaps a square layout will be your choice – that is another option! Crop them however you like!

A common strategy is to use a vertical layout if the strongest element or focal area is vertically oriented. So a painting of a tall tree would be done in a vertical layout, for example. If the major element is horizontal – a row of houses, for example, then the painting’s layout would be horizontal, too. The idea being, that the layout will reinforce or accentuate the elements in the painting that have the same directional thrust.

On the other hand, sometimes the strategy might be to have a layout that runs counter to the directional thrust of your subject as it might be possible that a painting with lots of vertical elements needs a horizontal layout to keep it from being too vertical. Or vice versa!

So what is the best strategy?

I don’t have any answers for you – I just have the questions! The challenge is to find out what answers work best for you and your specific painting! There is no right or wrong answer! Chances are opinions will differ about what works best! Isn’t that the way art should be?

I am providing square photos, so that they don’t influence your decision too much. Feel free to do some thumbnails or preliminary sketches to help you decide how you want to crop them (or not!). You can post sketches and final paintings. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with - vertical, horizontal or square!

Post all your paintings, sketches, comments, questions here in this thread! Enjoy!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery

Last edited by DAK723 : 02-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - February 2010

Ooh, these are very nice photos, Don, thank you. The square format looks good already. Alright, I have to play with them.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

I love the square format!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

These are great! Funny, this is exactly what I was thinking about recently. I haven't tried square format art and usually alternate between horizontal and vertical -- think I'll try some sketches and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the square format

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Resting in Peace
Kington, Herefordshire, England

Hails from United Kingdom

What superb photos to try.... and an excellent first choice of topic for the spotlight.

I frequently favour portrait format.....especially when I take photos.....and have often used square.........but also do landscape........so will have some fun here......

all this and pastels too !!!!

now to find the time !

So glad I joined this forum
All my pastel portraits HERE ....currently being updated! Website : www.JayteesArt.co.uk : also needing updating ! ...... and over in Facebook 'Self Portraits Studio' and just re-discovered this wonderful group here 'Self Portraits Join in the Fun'
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Cold Lake, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Great photos to choose from, Don. I hope to tackle at least one of them before the end of the month.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Love the photos Don. They look good in the square format. Ummmm, square, vertical or horizontal, ummmm and ummmmm again! Will have to do some sketching first I think. The new "Spotlight" looks lots of fun.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

Great choice of photos and, at the moment, they all look good for a square format! I'm off to do some cropping before i start on sketches. Thanks. This will be both fun and educational I'm sure!

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Thank you all for the nice comments regarding the photos! Sketches, thumbnails, notans are a great way to start experimenting with the format and composition! Feel free to post them!

I do hope to upload higher resolution versions of photos 1 thru 3 to the Reference image library later today! I will provide links when that happens! Photos 4 and 5 are already at their maximum size, unfortunately.

Don

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

Very cool set of photos, Don!

I give orientation a bit of thought when I'm out with my camera, and sometimes I'll do a few shots in both landscape and portrait - it often gives a completely different feel to the image, and sometimes I'm surprised by which one ends up looking better! I do occasionally go with square formats when cropping photos as well (some recent examples are on my blog, in fact).

I selected one of the photos and will have fun experimenting with the format . This monthly spotlight thread is a great idea and I'll look forward to seeing everyone's work and how they approached the format for their image(s).

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand

Hi All

Thank Don for the great pics and for hosting this month this looks like it is going to be fun
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Don your photos are beautiful, I'm looking forward to joining in and learning a lot.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, Colorado

Hails from United States

Thanks Don! You've posted some great photos here. I really like the square format too. I'm looking forward to participating.
-Kym

www.justplainpix.com http://www.scootershots.us
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Larger versions of photos 1 thru 3 are now in the RIL.

Photo #1:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...ize=big&cat=46

Photo #2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...e=big&cat=3245

Photo #3:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...ize=big&cat=46

As mentioned earlier, photos 4 and 5 are already at their maximum size.

Don

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Wonderful pictures, Don, great task. I've selected one, too, it fits perfectly with what I want to test colourwise, too, so two birds, one stone.

I like square... Square is underrated, often it is a very good solution when a painting doesn't want to fit into horizontal or vertical.

"Teacher, teacher, can I do a round painting?" ;-D

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog