WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Massachusetts

Hails from United States
How to frame an oil painting on canvas paper

Hi,

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything on this. I have some paintings on canvas paper that I'd like to frame. Usually I paint on paper just as exercises, but sometimes I actually like what I end up with, or someone asks to buy it.

Is it ok to use some kind of archival paste to glue it a piece of masonite or some other board? If so, what would be the best type of support to use?

I could treat it like a watercolor and mat it and then frame it, but I thought you weren't supposed to put glass over oil paintings.

Any ideas are welcome. Also, I feel kind of guilty selling someone a painting on canvas paper as opposed to stretched canvas or board. I am always amazed when someone wants to buy anything anyway but then I struggle with price. Any input on that would be great too.

Thanks,

Meg
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Re: How to frame an oil painting on canvas paper

You can cover well cured oils with glass but if they have a lot of texture you might have issues.
You can also freehang the painting with a 1/4" spacer between it & the glass.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States

Hi Meg...

Since you are the artist you are free to do anything you want!

However, as a professional framer I have several recommendations to you as to properly handle this work.

First, I'd like to commend you for caring enough to both inform your client of the nature of the substrate and also for caring enough to want to properly handle the work for its best preservation.

You certainly can handle this piece like a watercolor... rice paper hinging or using corner pockets to hold the art in place with matting and a backing board. Glass is fine on an oil painting and actually is a better preservation treatment than having a painting freely exposed to the elements. Glazing provides physical protection and also helps to alleviate rapid temperature and humidity changes. Museums use either glass or acrylic glazing for this very reason.

Being on a paper this oil should be under glass and matted and if it was mine that is exactly the treatment I'd use or, as Steve suggested above, it could be hinged to a rag board and float mounted in a frame with spacers and/or matting to keep it off the glass.

For oils on canvas I still prefer to have it properly varnished and framed without glazing simply because you can experience the tactile qualities much easier than when glazed.

Last edited by DaveMak : 01-26-2010 at 10:44 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM

I too have a number of oil paintings on paper that I need to frame. My concern about using hinges or similar, is that the paper will buckle as humidity changes. Any further comment or advice would be appreciated.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Dave can explain this better than I can, but if you use a couple of hinges at the top, the paper will be able to expand and contract without too many problems. It's when you tape it all the way around that you have buckling.
Also, the dry oil paint will help physically stabilize the paper surface, unless the paint is very thin.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Meg, to be clear, is this a painting on a sheet of "canvas" from one of those canvas pads or is it really "paper"?
If your painting is on canvas from a pad I believe you'd receive answers different from what you have received thus far. I am not an expert like Dave (or the others) but I believe canvas from a pad can be glue mounted on masonite or some other solid panel.
I'll let Dave tell you which glue he prefers as I would also be interested to hear.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

This may help to answer your question on how to mount an oil painting that was done on paper. This link is about Arches Oil Paper, which you may want to use instead of canvas paper on future painting. I like it a lot better. Anyway, here's the link. The videos at the bottom of the page will tell you more about the paper and how to mount it.
All the Best,
Gaye

http://gayesekula.blogspot.com

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you." Henri-Frédéric Amiel
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Tippecanoe County, Indiana

Hails from United States

I do studies on canvas paper for some of my paintings and occasionally want to display them or give them to others. I use a spray artist's mounting adhesive (Blair #82490) which can be used for both temporary and permanent mounting. spray both the back of the canvas paper and the face of the mounting board, wait a minute for the adhesive to dry, then put the sprayed surfaces together with a little pressure.