WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

Hails from United Kingdom
how to hang an unframed panel ?

Hi
I think this is the most appropriate forum to ask.....
I thought of doing some small oil on panel paintings for my upcoming open studio event. Small, unframed and hopefully easy to sell.
but how does one hang a panel? It would be 5-7 milimeter thin birch. Obviously I cannot nail anything into it. I don't have any suitable glue (what would archival and not damage the painting on the front?), so I have no idea how this works....
I aim to cut cost but perhaps it would be easier to just put a basic frame around it?
(Or perhaps stick to gallery wrap canvas.....)
Hope you can help! thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: how to hang an unframed panel ?

If they are really small you can use Velcro. Cover a larger sheet of foam core or plywood with a black (or neutral) wooly cloth, taping or stapling it on the back to keep the cloth tautly in place. Then take small pieces of Velcro tape and place them on the back of your little paintings.

The paintings will stay in place and you can arrange your mini-gallery on a wall or an easel. When you buy the cloth, just be sure to check which works best for velcro.

Diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 AM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

Thanks Diane - that is a great idea for display! I will keep that in mind. Will make a good wall with those.
But what would any buyer do? How would they hang it at home?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I wouldn't worry too much about what they do once they get home. I think most people want to frame the little ones themselves and are just happy to have a 'bargain'. But it's also nice to give them some ideas.

If they are standard frame sizes it's no problem for them to insert them into a ready-made frame.

They can also do the velro idea with a ready-made frame. There is usually a stiff backing which they can cover and then artfully press the painting into place. For a more permanent display they could add a couple more pieces of velcro.

You might want to pick up a couple of little easels and have them sitting on those, making the pieces nice on a mantel or table top. I know they are available here. You might check places that have plate displays.... something like this: http://organizeit.com/poblkplate.asp?recID=3498 If you have one or two of those available or can tell people where to buy them, that gives your client another display solution for the smaller pieces... If you have those little easels available, you could just charge the actual cost in order to get your money back.

Diane

Last edited by Diane Cutter : 01-24-2010 at 10:16 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 PM

The are two traditional ways of hanging a panel.

Option 1: Build a cradle for it with moldings (either using framing mouldings or the stuff you find at Home Depot). Using an archival glue (e.g.;PVA) glue the canvas board to the cradle, then attach hanging hardware to the cradle. These boards are cradled in this fashion: http://www.dickblick.com/products/ampersand-aquabord/

Option 2: Mat and and frame after building a cradle for the piece with foam core: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSh1azTfYrk

If I'm feeling particularly lazy, I'll glue two strips of foam core to the back of the canvas board, one near the top and another near the bottom. Then I insert a foam core hanger in the foam at the top of the piece and be done with it.

-Tom
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 AM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

Thanks for the reply Tom. I looked at the options, but I must admit I find it all a bit complicated.
Diane, I think you got it. A simple ready-made frame should work fine. Just take the glass out and use the glazier points to keep it in place. The velcro is a fine idea, although I should perhaps be careful to use glue that will not interfere with the painting on the front.
I wonder if this would work:

You stick those on the back. Might not be very archival though....
I am talking panels of 5x7" so its not the weight.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Boston,Massachusetts

Hails from United States

I became very smitten with the lazy method and expect to use it or adopt some form it in my own efforts. It's good to know thanks for sharing.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 AM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

What glue would you use?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Clinton, MA

Hails from United States

If I were you, I'd frame it and thereby avoid the problem. If you make the panels all the same size, you could have frames ready in advance to receive the panels when they're completed.

If the panels are standard size, you could save money & hassle by using readymades, frames precut and joined at standard sizes.

Having frames on the panels would make them more attractive, professional, and marketable.

Just my opinion.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

Hi Steve
Thanks for your input. You might well be right. I'll go and see how much it would cost. I might offer them for sale as an extra, not sure, i want to keep the costs down, so I can keep the price down. But is sure would safe a lot of hassle...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast
Singapore

I had to hang up my A2 size (16.5 x 23.5 in.) drawing mounted on a cardboard.

When I was at my art supply shop (store) the owner suggested using double-sided tape (the thicker padded type) to stick at the cardboard's back another smaller piece of cardboard, slightly bent up and punched with a hole. This is at the centre near the top of the cardboard.

Then the drawing is hung from the hole.

This idea may work for your panel if it is light weight.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2010, 04:30 AM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

Hi
Yes, I have just noticed the other day that some use double sided tape. I am not sure I want to stick tape to my panel....scared it might soak through or get brittle...not sure.
Some punch in these saw hangers with some little 'claws' ...but then you'd damage the panel a bit....hmmm....dunno....seems framing is the only way!