WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland
Talens Rembrandts dont blend well?

Talens Rembrandts dont blend well? currently i have only 3 hues and with these is hard think this thing i mean these are so close in hue and value... Actually maybe some uses if these dont blend well is usefull feature.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Re: Talens Rembrandts dont blend well?

I think most of your question is answered here but if not a search for Talens Rembrandt blend should bring up the subject.

Hope that helps!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Darlington

Hails from United Kingdom

Rembrandts blend exceptionally well!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

I think really well. even i dont know how many pastels used here. ps. btw now seems very nice product for backgrounds becouse even harder than w&n softiest hues but at least constant hardness.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
NY

Hails from United States

I agree they blend quite well. I also have been using them for years for that quality. It night be the paper being used. I use sanded pastel paper.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

i dont use sanded i dont even know where i can get sanded paper.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 06:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Very expensive from England.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
NY

Hails from United States

It runs about $9.00 a sheet (32 x40) @ Daniel Smith or Cheap Joe's. There is also Wallis Paper through Dick Blick.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPQ
i dont use sanded i dont even know where i can get sanded paper.
The Paper thread is here There is usually a way of getting these from online suppliers - if you can't find them locally.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 06:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

For Europeans, it is often smarter to buy from a country beloinging to the EU, as then we pay the taxes in the country we buy from, and only have to add the transport cost ('only', as it is always more expensive when crossing borders). Smartest for us is to buy European supplies in Europe. And buy the American brands from the US, and count int taxes, duties, transport, and other fees.

Jackson's in England carry the Fisher 400, for example, and also Clirefontaine PastelMat. (Not the Pans, though. To see where you can get pans, go to their website, they list all retailers.)

And, yes, it costs more to import stuff. On the other hand, when a shop imports, they of course add the same costs, plus whatever needed to pay for the shop, the staff, the electricity, etc.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
For Europeans, it is often smarter to buy from a country beloinging to the EU, as then we pay the taxes in the country we buy from, and only have to add the transport cost ('only', as it is always more expensive when crossing borders). Smartest for us is to buy European supplies in Europe. And buy the American brands from the US, and count int taxes, duties, transport, and other fees.

Jackson's in England carry the Fisher 400, for example, and also Clirefontaine PastelMat. (Not the Pans, though. To see where you can get pans, go to their website, they list all retailers.)

And, yes, it costs more to import stuff. On the other hand, when a shop imports, they of course add the same costs, plus whatever needed to pay for the shop, the staff, the electricity, etc.

Charlie

you talk pans Pan pastels their found zinkvit in sweden. At least.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Yes, Pans, in *sets* only, are available in Sweden. I'm very impressed with the Pan-people, they are great at marketing.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I have Rembrandts that blend as well as any of my other pastels. They didn't give me any problems.

It could be the difference between plain paper and sanded papers. Art Spectrum Colourfix is my favorite sanded paper. It's cheaper to get the Art Spectrum Colourfix primer and put two smooth thin coats on good 140lb watercolor paper. I make all my practice paper just using cheaper watercolor paper and the same primer.

You can try different sanded papers by getting a sampler from Dakota Pastels. Wallis is the roughest with very deep tooth, a lot of people love Wallis. Don't try to finger blend on Wallis or you'll lose your fingerprints and try Blood Blending on your painting, which only works well in dark areas.

How to blend is the other part of it. You can blend with your fingers, that's common and probably the first thing anyone learns. If the hues and values are very close, sometimes you can't tell that they're blended. Try two colors that are very different for blending tests, one light and one dark.

Then try blending with other things. A rubber tipped Colour Shaper is a wonderful blending tool, you can go back and forth over a hard edge to soften it with that or use it to move color around. The sample video from Deborah Secor's pastel landscape painting video on ArtistNetworkTV shows Deborah explaining and demonstrating a Colour Shaper and its uses.

You can also use a chamois, a bit of tissue paper, toilet paper or paper towel. Some people use cotton buds to blend. Some people use inexpensive cardboard tortillon or stump blenders, these are cheap anywhere and good for blending pencils as well as pastels.

Finally, there's the method I learned from Colorix in ESP: Colourful Still Life, which I think Deborah Secor also mentioned in ESP: Snow. You can blend with the sticks. Try putting two very different colors right next to each other. Take a third that's between them and start going back and forth between the areas in short angled strokes, scribble back and forth.

This blends the colors together in a beautiful way that leaves a little texture and a lot of sparkle. Some blending methods break down the crystalline structure of the pigments but stick-blending doesn't. The results look more fresh and colorful than most blending methods.

Also, I forgot to mention that you can use a fan brush to do some light blending too. This is a very gentle blender and softens edges without making much dramatic changes to what you have down.

Try these different methods. It may not be the Rembrandts but the way you're handling them. If other brands blend more easily for you, that may be how you're handling them with pressure and what type of marks you make. Each brand has a different texture and people's "hand" varies a lot, so trying different brands and techniques is good.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

You can get individual PanPastels via amazon.co.uk; however, I don't know if they're well-packaged for shipping, haven't ordered any yet. The pricing looks reasonable.

Robert, very nice collection of techniques! (Even though I only use pastel pencils...) But blood blending seriously bothers me. Blood isn't even archival.

Last edited by Lyta : 01-24-2010 at 01:36 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

i know place which is closer to me which have pan pastels what i allredy know. But if you talk other people forget this...