WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Seabright Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada
flying with pastels -security issues?

Has anyone flown lately carrying pastels with them? I am planning to go to Sarasota Florida from Nova Scotia Canada and usually when I travel with pastels I take them as carry-on, so I can baby them. I would appreciate any advice that might be available from recent travellers. My trip is not until the end of February so there is time for things to settle down (or, GOd forbid, get worse) in the world of travelling by air.

Pat
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: flying with pastels -security issues?

Hi Pat, there are some older threads discussing it. Sorry I don't have the time to give you links right now, but do a "search this forum", and use words like 'travelling' 'flying', and you should get at least three threads.

And of course people will add more recent good things to know, here.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM
A Local Legend
Denver Colorado

Hails from United States

Hi Pat, yes I did this a while back and, I can tell you be prepared to open you bags for them to check them to out, they will want to see them, I learned to put them on the top so it is easier to show them. both way. by the way have fun in Sarasota I lived there for 8 years back in the 70's it was a great place,

Take care, Be well, Be safe http://www.scottleckrone.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States

I have flown with pastels a good number of times, to include just last month on the very day security went into overdrive, and the only time I've ever been asked to open them was just over one year ago at LAX when they did a swab and inspection. On the same trip coming out of DC, I was asked by the x-ray person what they were (I replied they were artist's chalks), but nothing more happened. No other time was I even questioned.

Except for the last time, I was using a Roz Bag. Most recently, I brought fewer, just using Rembrandt and Girault in their boxes. Didn't seem to matter either way. Flying with pastels has been a non-issue for me.

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)

Last edited by Potoma : 01-12-2010 at 12:12 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

I flew home from the last IAPS convention and when they saw the pastels in the xray machine, the lady said to me "They look like bullets." They proceeded to open every box of pastels that was in my luggage. It took an extra 15 minutes so I was thankful I was early for my flight. I was also told by friends to say they were "artist chalks," which I did.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 12:51 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Yeah, I heard about that being the only time you should call pastels "artist's chalks." It gets the idea across to security people who may not be leisure painters.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM

Hails from Scotland

I certainly had an issue with a box of Rembrandt pastels in Paris; the Xray machine started jumping. I'd be prepared and go through security early...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada

pat this is an excellent question. i hope you have smooth sailing at the airport. i hope you will update us as to how you make out. i am quite curious with all that is on the news. i can not imagine putting them in luggage. my brother in law saw an airport worker jumping on a bag of golf clubs.... have a great trip. ginger
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Calgary, Alberta

Hails from Canada

As of recently with Canadians being robbed blind by putting things into checked luggage, because of them not allowing carry-on luggage. I have cancelled all thoughts of going to the US until they lighten up. I travel with my expensive cameras and lenses to take pictures, so I can paint these pictures. As some are not allowing anything carry-on I will never put them into checked luggage. I would not have cameras when we landed and if I did they would be all damaged.

This is all because someone didn't do their job right and never questioned a person who never had luggage or a coat. You would think they would have considering how far and where he was going. I doubted they would in Nigeria question him but Holland fell down on the job.

Now all photographers and artists, along with everyone else has to suffer.

Randi-Lee
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Harstad, Norway

Hails from Norway

I've never had any problems traveling with pastels, neither in USA or Europe. I always keep them in my carry-on and make sure they are easy to access in case security want to see them. Sometimes they do, sometimes not - but make sure you have enough time in security. Most of the time they just ask what it is, and they don't pay more attention to it when I explain that it is artist supplies. I would never send my pastels in checked luggage, I wouldn't be able to relax on the flight - my babies,lol!

My Website My blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast
New England/Caribbean

Hails from United States

Just to echo the others -- keep them in your carry on and let the screener know that you have art materials as they go through the machine. The only time I had even a slight issue was when I was traveling with a lot of brand new sticks and they thought they were bullets. I've traveled domestically and internationally many times and haven't had a problem.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

I also had a funny experience, years ago, when I had my Sennelier half stick pastels in a box in my suitcase. They also asked if they were bullets and wanted to see them. At first I did not know what they were talking about untill they showed me what they were looking at on the Xray machine. I will carry them in my carry-on next time so they can see them. Was quite funny actually.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Maggie Price has an great section in her art blog on traveling with pastels. www.maggiepriceart.com/artblog.html .
When I fly commercial I pack as little as possible, always carry on and half sets are perfect, and I label all pastel boxes so opening them is a no brainer for the airport security. And please and thank you go a long way with those folks. Another way to do it is you can UPS or mail your art supplies ahead of you to both private residences and hotels, (just call your hotel and tell them what you are doing to let them know you are expecting a package) then send it all home with your finished artwork the same way, then no worries about air port inspections. I have done this for years with art supplies, costumes when I was performing in another state, and books and clothing that I purchase while traveling. Works great!
Life is short, back AWAY from the computer, get off yer butt and go PAINT!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Ottawa, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by plindley
Has anyone flown lately carrying pastels with them? I am planning to go to Sarasota Florida from Nova Scotia Canada and usually when I travel with pastels I take them as carry-on, so I can baby them. I would appreciate any advice that might be available from recent travellers. My trip is not until the end of February so there is time for things to settle down (or, GOd forbid, get worse) in the world of travelling by air.

Pat

Pat

Do please let us know how you fare. As far as I can ascertain, so far, from consulting the website of the Canadian Air Transport Safety Association, pastel boxes would not be among the items that would be allowed at all.

Keep in mind the Canadian govt is not allowing any carry-on luggage yet, even though there are some particular items that are supposed to be allowed outside of that, including: "small purses", musical instruments, laptops and cameras. And forget anything with WHEELS!

Mary Anne
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2010, 07:42 AM

Have you had any ideas yet? I've love to hear.

I've even thought to ship FedEx or UPS my pastel set to and from North Carolina for a pastel workshop in late February.