WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > All Media Art Events
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom
Lightbulb WDE 8 Jan 2010 *****IMAGES HERE*****

I decided to post early as they were all ready and I wanted to move away from the computer. I hope this does not inconvenience anyone.

I will be posting 16 images and a couple of optional challenge ideas.
Please wait until all are uploaded before commenting - thank you.

You have 30 minutes to make your choice and choose your materials - you may use any medium.

For the next two hours, just go for it……then STOP!, scan or photograph your work and post it in your own new thread with your title, beginning with WDE, plus date, plus title.

Use WIP for any work in progress at the 2 hour mark, and MI for multiple images if other works are to be added before the following Monday.

NB. To avoid forum flooding, please put all of your work during the weekend, for the current WDE, into a single thread: multiple threads will be merged!
From the following TUESDAY, you may open a new thread for later work.

You have the whole week to participate - until the next WDE starts (usually Friday). If you finish a piece after that time, we now run a 'Catch-up' thread in the forum each month where you can post any WDE not completed in its allotted week .... it's a sticky near the top of the forum page.

After posting your contribution, please view others’ entries and comment and encourage when you can. Unless requested, please refrain from critiquing.

If you are a Newbie, the guidelines for participating are here.

ALL THESE PHOTOS HAVE BEEN TAKEN BY MYSELF

The theme is my holiday in Wales last year. I go to beautiful Pembrokeshire every year and it is an infinite source of inspiration to me. (Despite the often inclement weather) It has miles of breathtaking coastline and 1000s of years of history. I hope I have found something for everyone.

As for 'challenges' they aren't so tough.

1. New Toys - If you have had new supplies, maybe as Christmas presents this is your chance to try them out. Use them and let us know how you get on with them.

2. Free Your Mind - Go with the flow, let your subconcious or inner creativity guide you. Don't think too much or plan too much. Just go for it and see what emerges from your inner self. Let your imagination run wild

You do not have to do either of these but if you do please mention it in your thread.

Now for the images....

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 01-07-2010 at 03:23 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Re: WDE 8 Jan 2010 *****IMAGES HERE*****

If anyone would like higher res images please message me your email address.

First some historic buildings.....

Grain store at Lamphey Palace.

Entrance to Manobier Castle

and some scenic refs

Skyscape
Windfarm nr Llanboidy

some of the beautiful Pembrokeshire coastline
Marloes Peninisula

Boats in Solva harbour

People.....

Dave sat on the pontoon pier in the sea at Dale

One man and his boat
Taken at Dale

more to come....
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
A WC! Legend

Critters.....

This cute fella is in the walk-through enclosure at Manor House wildlife park Nr St. Florence
Wallaby

Also at the same place. Peacokcs wonder about all over the place and their favourite area is the verandah cafe.
Peacock

Some 'still life'........

Water butt
Taken inside the courtyard of Manobier castle

Anchors Away
Taken at Pembrey Country park on Pembrey sands.

These were taken at Castell Henleys Iron Age hill fort which is a 'living history' archaelogoical site. Feel free to ignore the feet of the children who were on a school trip listenign to a talk on basketry.

Baskets

One of the stops on the Gwilli steam railway. An old victorian coach which is being restored.

Gwilli Railway Coach

and some odds and ends........

Flower after the rain
I took this one at a beautiful garden centre at St. Ishmaels

This is the firebox of the engine of an old Victorian steam engine at Gwilli. The driver let me on board and I took this photo.

Steam Engine

and finally........

after all that exploring it is back to the campsite and the tent for some quick and filling warm food. Meatballs carrots and potatoes in a pot.

Camping food

I hope you find something here that inspires you and I can't wait to see what you produce.

Thank you for joining in my WDE party.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
SE Michigan

Hails from United States

Awsome refs!
I SO wish I could participate this weekend. Since you posted these early, I might get a chance to crank one out tonight but I can't promise. I'm definitely saving these for later though

Regards,

“The most important thing in art is the frame. For painting: literally; for other arts: figuratively - because, without this humble appliance, you can't know where The Art stops and The Real World begins. You have to put a "box" around it because otherwise, what is that sh[--] on the wall?” -- Frank Zappa
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Gatineau, Quebec (Absurdistan)

Hails from Canada

Nice series of references. Like trip outside of Heathrow Airport.... (been there 11 times, and could not find time to go around the countryside. My lasting impression of England is that the taxis are clean, and the hotels comfortable....)

I should be able to make some time between the two piles of awfully boring term papers I have to mark for Monday....

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 03:28 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thanks for posting early Lin - gives people plenty of time to make a creative 2 hours avaiable!
Lovely selection too - and that campfood is mouth wateringly delicious-looking!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Lin, these are great photos! Your landscapes are breathtaking, all of these are so great. Though I missed seeing the other Dave or Humbug in the lineup, you've got so many wonderful landscapes that I know I'll have fun. Scritch them for me and tell them Ari's purring at them from across the pond (he's in my lap prompting me). He wants to go romping in that castle too!

I love your challenge! I've got a new 15-color Sennelier Cube set of oil pastels just waiting for me to find out if I can do good landscapes with lots of primaries and only a gray-green for greens. Just tested the mixes and will get some really nice greens mixing the primaries, so I'm going to have fun with this little set. Oo and there's the ten-color pocket set of Aqua Stic too to play with.

Plus late in the week, Pan Pastels Deep Darks, they'll be here on Wednesday so I might get in a Pans painting before your challenge ends. Right under the wire, but it'll be very cool.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 01-07-2010 at 04:15 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Hi Lin, wonderful photos, i love the boats and want to try them in watercolour...thanks for sharing such great photos enjoy your weekend....

Sandra
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast
I live in Neath, South Wales

Hails from Wales

Aw Lin! You've done it again! My boys love trains and the Gwilli ralway is a home from home! Where is Thomas the tank engine? Maybe I'll have to transform the coach into Clarabel, Thomas' trusty coach.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

great photos Lin, thanks, will try and get to it...

...blogspot at http://gardenartjournal.blogspot.fr
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Wonderful photos, I made it to the south of England and the Isle of Wight now I'm determined to get to the north of England, Scotlalnd and Wales
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

got a few saved, having a disastrous week with landscapes, maybe this will get me out my funk

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Brit living in MI, USA

Hails from England

Thanks Lin for the tour, I didn't get to visit Wales last time I was back visiting. Spoiled for choice with these! Decisions, do I use acrylic or pastel again? Or break out the huge tin of prismacolors my son gave me for Christmas? Only used colour pencils once before.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
A Local Legend
SE Ohio

Hails from United States

Love your references. I was going to the paint house and paint this evening but since the weather is so nasty out I think I will curl up on the couch and get out my colored pencils and try one. I am not very good with them, so that will give me practice. I also have my eye on one to try batik on, so hopefully will get a couple done. Thanks for posting early and hosting.
Stop telling God how big your storm is. Instead, tell the storm > > >> how big your GOD IS. Unknow author
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2010, 09:06 PM
A Local Legend
2001 transplant to NC USA

Hails from United States

what a neat surprise!!! was just moseying around in here, and TA DA, you've posted early!!! bless you, my child.... except that by the time i got to the tasty stew, i realized it's past dinnertime and i'm afraid that's going to take preference for now....(Gen 25:30).............thanx for hosting and such a variety...

hahaha... just found this.... wrote it hours ago, then went and got dinner, etc etc.... didnt post it... hahahaha.... ok... getting my act together..... thanx again....
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin