WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States
Greens

Greens, probably everyone’s favorite color (hah). I’m looking to fill in some of the blanks I have in my palette. I’ve purchased sets in the past and they have been either weighted towards blue\grey end or the yellow end. I need to fill in the blanks in between, with the Western landscape palette in mind. Anyone have favorite colors I should be looking at. I’d like a medium hardness like a Unison or Mt. Vision, but I can look up equivalents from any brand suggested.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States
Re: Greens

My favorite green is #700 by Mount Vision. I also love the Mount Vision warm greens and neutral greens. Terry Ludwig also has a FABULOUS selection of greens. You can see them on his website.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Mike, I run into that too sometimes, especially in the good sets for some reason. Mount Vision has some gorgeous greens though. One thing I like is the way they'll start with an emerald green and then lighten it by adding yellow so there's a chromatic value range that stays at full intensity all the way up.

Dakota has samplers of all the pastel brands they carry, by color. So I'm planning on getting the Greens Sampler because I love doing landscapes and can never have too many greens. It's random which ones they put in but with 17 different sticks, some are bound to be strong bright masstone greens.

I know some artists don't like the super bright spectrum greens. I love them because I love a Southern landscape with a brighter sky, the greens in New Orleans were a lot brighter than they were in Chicago or Minneapolis. Depending on where you are, the sunlight strongly affects what color nature's greens come out.

Mount Vision also has a Florida Collection specifically designed for the Southern coastal color range, including turquoise for waters and strong greens for vegetation. Depending on where you are in the West, things either get dried out and greens aren't that intense or they're vivid because of the clear air and strong sun. You know what you're looking at.

One thing that might be good if you can is to visit a brick and mortar store that has open stock displays. It may be easier choosing colors when you're looking at them in person.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Townsend makes some wonderful terrage pastels you might like. The gritty pumice is wonderful, if you don't care for a really soft-soft pastel. If you want to get into the bluer greens there's this set (or selections from it):

Terrages. Green 12 Piece Set - (TGGRN12conts)
Each Terrage is approx. 1 1/2" long and 1" across , and 6/8" thick
permanent green 161
permanent green 162
permanent green 163
yellow green 158
green oxide 155
compose green 149
phthalo green 143
compose green 151
light green gray 141
dark green blue 169
compose green 150
phthalo green 145
http://townsendpastels.com/terrages.html

Here's the 90 Ludwig greens:

It really invigorated my landscape paintings when I got this set!

Other than that I always try to keep on hand Townsend 55D and Unison A-43.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I mentioned Unison and Mt Vision as I have a heavy hand at times and tend to fill the tooth on a sheet in a hurry if I start with my softer sticks like the GA's. I had a chance to try some of the MV at a local store and their feel was closer to that of Unison (to me anyway). The only reason I've hesitated on getting their set of greens is the palette may be more towards the South East or East coast. I've drooled over the Ludwigs for sometime may bite the bullet on the warm green set.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Williamsville, NY

Hails from United States

You can always make your own. Just mush some of you left over stubs with the back of an old spoon until you get a fine powder. Add yellow, red, blue to tweek the green color. Add some water to get a thick paste. Then roll into a stick. Let dry. I've done this to get that green color I cannot quite find.

www.edwardkennedystudio.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Cold Lake, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Mike,
Terry Ludwig has a sale on until Jan 8 if that helps.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2009, 03:01 AM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello. like that practical regrinding/recycling idea. E

Last edited by sketchZ1ol : 12-31-2009 at 03:19 AM.