WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Pencil Sharpeners

I'm looking for a new one and it's tough. What's everyone using these days? Any good ones out there?

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Pencil Sharpeners

Anyone have this one. It's on my list of potentials.

http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?...ncil+Sharpener

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
in the middle of Germany

Hails from Germany

Hi Tommy
Look here, I use the left one, by Faber Castell.
http://www.faber-castell.de/docs/index_ebene3.asp?id=11449&domid=1010&sp=E&addlasti d=&m1=10329&m2=10333&m3=10347&m4=11449
It contains 3 Sharpeners in one box (for cps, for pencils and for thick pencils). Its a very good sharpener
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I'm still using the Panasonic KP-4A battery powered in studio and I like to take it with me when I travel. With daily use, the motor lasts about 3.5 years, then I get a new one (have a few in boxes unused..have to order them from the US, hence the backups). Every brand of pencil I use fits into the opening just fine.

I also use a Dahle 100 hand crank type. Works great and adjusts to different pencils' barrel sizes....just have to crank it yourself. lol

Both have the same sort of spiral blade mechanism, so I never get broken leads on any brand of pencils.

Cord electric sharpeners are very expensive over here... another reason I chose the Panasonic KP-4A.
`
` ` ` `
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 PM

The iPoint Electric Pencil Sharpener

I bought one of these at Costco for less than $20. Everywhere else I've seen it, it's been from about $35 to $60. There is a battery operated one that is cheaper. The one I bought at Costco is electric. Some have more features. Target has different types with the most expensive being $60.

This is the best pencil sharpener I've ever had. The point on the pencil is amazing, I've never gotten a pencil that sharp. Plus, I've broken no more than half a dozen pencils in the 2-3 months that I've had it. It was so great, I went back to Costco and bought 5 more...they do have that typical warning about not using wax-based pencils, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

Go to this website. It tells all there is to tell about the different options.
http://www.holcombs.com/ipoint.html
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

Still using my trusty ol' Panasonic KP-310

Panasonic(R) KP-310 Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but this sharpener has been brilliant. Never breaks pencil leads, sharpens perfectly every time, the kids use it all day long to sharpen their school pencils and it's just been going and going for years. I don't have problems with it, easy to clean, doesn't mess and it takes the thin pencils like Verithin's all the way to thicker pencils like Coloursoft's and Poly's. Got it at Office Depot, have seen them at Office Max, Staples, Hobby Lobby and you can get them on Amazon.

Judy's review of her battery operated Panasonic, has caused me to put one on my wish-list, I'm happy with the electric one and it sounds like the battery one is good too.

I got the Creative Mark Multi-point because of rave reviews, thinking I could use it when I'm drawing outdoors or on-the-go, also liked the multi-point idea...

MultiPoint Professional Delux Pencil Sharpener

I do not recommend this sharpener. I understand a lot of people do like it, but it eats my pencils and is just plain scary for that reason - imo. I can not sharpen a pencil when it becomes very short because the 'holder' (pencil clutch) won't hold them when they get real short. It's awkward to use, my children won't use it because it's fussy, takes too long to use, we prefer the electric sharpener and I'm sure the aforementioned battery operated sharpener will be easier and faster than this Creative Mark one.
Having said all that, it does sharpen nicely if you're patient enough, you can choose how sharp you want your pencil (various points) and the points are also shorter than what you get with the electric sharpeners (some people prefer that).

Good luck finding the one for you
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 08:05 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Ok, I've got two...
Boston School House Pro like this one (although I'm sure I got it for less $$ at an office supply) and the Exacto Powerhouse. Although, once again, I'm pretty sure I got it at an office supply.

The opening for the pencil on the powerhouse is just a wee bit too small for my FC polys, although it gets the points super deadly (stabbed myself & drew blood more than once) sharp. The schoolhouse pro is quieter, and I love that I can *see* how full the shavings container is getting *before* there's a pencil dust erruption. Although the pencil points aren't quite so, um, pointy with it.

Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I can't find the 310 Lily. It's a single cutter model I suppose. (?) I'm also looking at the KP 380. That one looks pretty good too.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

Uh oh Yeah, I see Amazon does not sell them anymore.
If it were me, I'd trust the Panasonic KP-380 that you mentioned... I'm looking at reviews on the net and it gets very good reviews. I need to get a new one sometime because surely my 310 will give out eventually - I think I'll keep an eye out for the 380 in stores next time I shop.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg24kgold

The iPoint Electric Pencil Sharpener

I bought one of these at Costco for less than $20. Everywhere else I've seen it, it's been from about $35 to $60. There is a battery operated one that is cheaper. The one I bought at Costco is electric. Some have more features. Target has different types with the most expensive being $60.

This is the best pencil sharpener I've ever had. The point on the pencil is amazing, I've never gotten a pencil that sharp. Plus, I've broken no more than half a dozen pencils in the 2-3 months that I've had it. It was so great, I went back to Costco and bought 5 more...they do have that typical warning about not using wax-based pencils, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

Go to this website. It tells all there is to tell about the different options.
http://www.holcombs.com/ipoint.html

I came accross a more expensive model of this ipoint a few days ago but I can't seem to find it now. Had a different top to it. Cool looking design.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:10 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Lily
Uh oh Yeah, I see Amazon does not sell them anymore.
If it were me, I'd trust the Panasonic KP-380 that you mentioned... I'm looking at reviews on the net and it gets very good reviews. I need to get a new one sometime because surely my 310 will give out eventually - I think I'll keep an eye out for the 380 in stores next time I shop.

The many faces of the 380. You might get it cheaper online Lil.
http://www0.shopping.com/xPC-Panason...T-4~VK-8038694

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Tommy, I've been using my Panasonic KP-310 for over 3 years now, has yet to break down on me. I can't seem to find it anywhere online though, it's sharpened well over 1000 pencils though, and I expect it'll continue to give me the perfect point for years to come now. Wait a second. . . Of course it'd be hard to find, and no wonder they would not be making it anymore! Expendability, things have to have a point at which they will fail otherwise you won't go spend money to buy another one. Refrigerators are built to fail after 3 to 5 years depending on the one you buy, why wouldn't they do that to something as simple as a pencil sharpener. The old hand crank ones that used to be used by schools for decades are still in use at many schools because they will never die, companies go out of business that way.

Too good for it's own good, that's the case of our Panasonic KP-310. I suspect that the 380 is a fine replacement, but you might have to buy another after a couple years. But I'll keep my eyes open for the old KP-310, if I see one (like at an office supply clearance place or flea market) I'll pick it up for you.

- Del
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Hails from Canada

Bortai

I have that sharper too and happy with it!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 04:16 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I ordered the KP 150. The vertical design tipped the scales and it has a five star rating. Thanks everyone for your input!

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KP-1...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Happy for you Tommy, but did you see this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Monste..._sbs_op_img_24
Now really, I ask you, is that not the BEST looking pencil sharpener in the world???
(and it burps! lol)
`
` ` ` `