WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM
A Local Legend
Maryland, USA

Re: December Landscape Challenge

Della: I love the warmth and mix of yellows and earth tones amid the greens in your waterside scene. Cute trees, too.

Dan: Glad you like my painting; I was trying for a sense of windblow snow against a cold sky. I've seen that crusty stuff, too, though we don't really get the bad winds here in Maryland vs. on the Great Plains. I like your painting of the snow scene; those delicate colors in the snow add alot to it.

Jose: Thanks for the compliment! Also, I would never have guessed that you have never been in the snow based on your painting. It looks great - very convincing, and I really like the subtle colors in the snow and the mounds, tracks, and little branches sticking out of the snowbanks.

Great job, everyone!

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Wow! Matthew, been gone for just a little while and look st what you did. i too have to agree with Dan. it does look as if the snow blow over the road or a path. very nicely done. I don't know how easy this is but will soon find out. my printer was not working for the past 2 monthe only when it felt like it and may print one page when it did. the one i got now just prints. not another thing. but will print 13 x 19. well i'm gping to try one myself.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

OK Linnette, Mi-Teines is Canson pastel paper. now as a painting aid it could be but to most people it is far from it. you will find most everyone hates it. i find if i use the back side (smooth side) and sand it with sandpaper it works quite well for the way i paint. I like Fabriano paper (honey) and i still do the same to it. (sand the smooth side). you can get nice lines with it. it's kind of ike velvet. that you are working on. most people like a paper with grit in it. AS, Wallis and then when i use something like that i mainly use it for landscapes as of now anyway. but find i make my own. i mix gesso and pumice together and rool it on water colour paper. its a little finner than the store bought papers. and a lot cheaper. so i could paint a lot more. it does take a toll on your fingers tho. hope this helps you if not it may someone else.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2009, 08:47 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcedeno
This is my first snow-scape ever, I had never been an enthusiast for cold weather and have never been in the snow, only in pictures. This is a 9x12 pastel on Wallis, I'm not sure if I could call it finished. What do you think? I'm struggling with that decision. I'll appreciate your C&C.

Jose

Wow! Jose for not ever being in snow before you sure did a great job on this. you got snow on the pines and the maine tree, real nice touch. I think Dan started some thing with the little branches/grasses in the snow along the road. this adds to the piece. i do have one small sugestion mybe add a little more shadow along the road bank on the right. being its kind of high and maybe a hint on the backside of the snow hills on the left.not much at all. nice work.

Last edited by PETE K : 12-06-2009 at 08:49 PM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Pflugerville,TX Between a rock and a weird place

Hails from United States

I,too, being from central Texas doesn't experience snow. However, I was in Kansas as a teen for a few years so I've tried to remember what it's like. Any case, I hope to improve maybe dare one of my own c&c's welcomed.
pastel on Mi-Teintes color paper(yellowish) 9x12
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
New Jersey, USA

Hails from United States

Evening all. Just went through all the renditions so far, and what a great group!

Dan - wonderful winter scenes you do. Those touches of magenta add a warmth that contrasts with the cold snow. And I love the weeds poking through on the first one. And you're right. I always see my work differently after uploading - gives me a new view I think.

BJ - I like your first one, with the black paper coming through it adds to the mood. And I like the shadows. In your second one, I like the reflections in the water. And you also let the paper color come through on your snow scene, adding color to your snow. I tried pastels in the past, and had nothing but a mess. You handle them well.

Alain - beautiful watercolor. Love your colors & how they all blend & flow. Wonderful work.

Della - I love your sky! And all your colors, wonderful warmth. Very nice painting.

Matthew - I can actually picture myself in this scene. Wonderful snow, love it.

Jose - This is your first snow scene painted? wow! This is terrific. Love all the color you have reflected in your snow.

I couldn't do the winter scene, at least not yet - may do it next for this challenge. I am always captured by a road or path, so did the second one with the hanging moss. This is Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet. Hope you enjoy! - Nan
Attached Images

http://nancies-art.blogspot.com/
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
St. Louis

Hails from United States

Hi, first time here. I have been hanging out in Watercolor butam branching out!
Dan - both your watercolor and pastel use a great range of color. Nice!
BJ - Wow, your pastels have such intense contrast. Very striking!
Alain- I love the foliage treatment - light but so colorful!
Della - Your piece is so harmonious and I like the way you rearranged the tide pools for your compostion.
Matthew- great palette choices!
Jose - the intense blue distant trees really frame the snow. Good one!

Here is the mossy Georgia Lane, 11x14 watercolor. I can see now that the moss is too uniform. Will have to lift some more. C&C welcome.

Linda
Attached Images

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdosar
I,too, being from central Texas doesn't experience snow. However, I was in Kansas as a teen for a few years so I've tried to remember what it's like. Any case, I hope to improve maybe dare one of my own c&c's welcomed.
pastel on Mi-Teintes color paper(yellowish) 9x12

Nice BJ, I see you went for the smooth side, how did you like working on it. andit looks as you sanded it some. I like Champagne myself, this looks real colse to it if not it. if you have scratches in it the pastels will fill up the marks, by your second or third layer.i like how you did your sky with the cold wintery breeze you pertreayed in it. sure makes it look colder. what kind of pastels are you using? on something like this i would do my whole sky and lay my trees in over it. now some do and some don't thattotaly up to you. i'm working on thesame piece and think same brand, size and colour of paper. your snow and shadows work real nice. I find Nu-Pastels (semi hard) work great for fine lines on this paper. keep up the good work.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2009, 12:04 AM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Hi Nan, glad you made it, and your piece is just fantastic. i don't have that much to say on this you did great. i kind of like this one better than the pic. great values. contrast, you flow right in, and for living up north you really handled the moss especially well. as i could remember you did live here didn't you. i was going to quote you bt your pic didn't come up. I do like roads and paths myself they almot always make for a good lead in. i can't wait to see your next one.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 AM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Well Welcome Linda, glad you joined us. you also did a fantastic job on this piece. very nic light and colours great shadows and lead in also. St. Simons seems to me to have quite a bit more moss on there trees than most other places around here. there trees are fulll of it. i think what you have here look just fine.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Beautiful entries from everyone! The snow scenes are lovely and Jose I like the color variations in yours. The watercolors are amazing...I find it very hard to paint landscapes in watercolor. Everyone has done fantastic! I need to get busy...especially since I want to do all of them and here it is the 7th of December already! I believe I will start out with the snow scene. I used to see snow a lot as a kid but here we seldom get snow...hope I don't jinx myself by saying that...lol
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:24 AM
New Brunswick

Hails from Canada

Morning All
Must take a moment to compliment everyone on the great renditions so far this month.Also Thanks to all for the great feedback. I't so good to be part of a group like this one, who will give advice, it's the best way to learn from your mistakes, I'm certainly going to try the snow scene as we soon will be neck-deep in it. And after 4 or 5 months it doesn't look so pretty anymore...
Happy Painting ,Everyone
Della
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2009, 12:09 PM
A Local Legend
Maryland, USA

BJ: Cool style to your painting, and neat trick on letting the paper color show through.

Nancie: The photos seems a bit dark, but nice path with a lot of detail and color in there.

Linda: I can feel the sun in your path painting! Bright and cheerful!

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona and South Dakota

Hails from United States

This has turned out to be a fun challenge. When I first viewed the lineup I was sceptical about my ability to participate but now I'm enjoying the experience. It has been said that this turns out to be a friendly group and I'll certainly second the notion. I mostly strive for plein air time but we're still in the north country and it just isn't fun when the temperatures take a dip. So now we work from our own references gathered earlier in the year and these from others that really challenge us to find new ways to interpret.

JOSE - I'm amazed ( as others have expressed ) that with your 'snowless' past you can come up with such a believable result. Really good use of color: the violet used along with your blue in the snow indicates a weak light source and that is also reflected by your rendering of the sky. You use a "straight-laced" approach to your tree trunks and you might consider allowing some of them to lean a little. I also felt that just a few touches of your violet on tree branches might help unify the whole concept. Looking forward to more from you.

BJ - Wellsir, you appear to have recalled enough snow memory from your Kansas days. Your scene has us feeling the cold. By working in a few more well-placed shadows in the snow you will give form to the drifts and piles. The big tree speaks pretty well for itself but you might give the other tree line a lacy look by introducing some smallish branches up on top, reaching for the sky.

NAN -- thanks for commenting on my snowy attempts. I think your mossy picture is just excellent. That is the one photo I don't think I'll try; it's just so far removed from anything I know about. I've traveled through GA but haven't enough knowledge to fool anybody. The shadows and dappled light in yours help us get our feet on the ground and walk right on through.

LINDA - Your use of watercolor has a freshness that I strive for. Too often I get back into where I shouldn't return. You know the problems! I don't see anything wrong with your moss but you know it better than I. The splash of light in middle ground helps the composition. Dan

FIDDLEMATES http://spitshine58.blogspot.com/www.danielgsheldon.com I Shall Never Stop Learning
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona and South Dakota

Hails from United States

Okay, so I tried another scene. This subject matter is completely alien to me but here in the challenge we are compelled to ignore that old adage, "paint what you know." Please offer all the suggestions for changes and improvement you think of and that will help in the next effort. This is pastel over watercolor wash on Arches 140 CP. Approx 12X21. Dan

FIDDLEMATES http://spitshine58.blogspot.com/www.danielgsheldon.com I Shall Never Stop Learning